User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  7

Thread: Dramatic weather photos - don't know how :(

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dramatic weather photos - don't know how :(

So... with a bad weather, a 1D, a 24-70mmL and a 100mmL Macro (both weather proof) and a idiot who willing to take pics in any condition, one would have thought I am well equiped for taking some very cool and dramatic weather pics....

Except: I don't know how. In fact I don't even know what and where to start

For people who has such experience on this board, can they give me some guide lines on where to start?

I am looking up in the google while I am typing this up, but all I found is pics with a thunder bolt

Thanks in advance for your comment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    google "storm chaser"

there are a few here that chase storms too out towards yummymummy land
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Who me?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are a few storm chasers on this forum, there is also an Australian storm chasers forum
    http://www.stormchasing.com.au/ There are a few people on AP from Brisbane and surrounds that are very good at this stuff IMO, Have a look around when you find them maybe try and tag along on a few occasions and learn the ropes
    Cheers David.

Canon 40D/EF-S 17-85 mm IS/Kenko Extenson Tubes/Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
    Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 /Sigma 70-200/ Sigma 1.4 teleconverter/ some Conkin filters | Adobe Photoshop CS6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would consider myself a storm chaser in my spare time. What sorts of storms are you planning on trying to photograph? There really needs to be some knowledge of meteorology as well as a sound understanding of your gear (which I would assume you have as you have some nice gear). I'm constantly learning different weather patterns and I'm getting better at predicting when and where events will take place. If you have any specific questions please PM me as i'm happy to help any way I can. www.bom.gov.au and www.weatherzone.com.au are going to be your best friends, bookmark them and learn what each graph represents Hope this helped a bit
    Canon stuff 5Dmk1 w/ 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 5Dmk1 w/70-200f2.8L, 100mm f2.8 macro, 50mm f1.4, 580exII
    Alienbees B800, Lumopro 160, Manfrotto 155XPROB w/ 498RC2, Lowepro ProRunner X450AW
    Phew!

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andylo View Post
    For people who has such experience on this board, can they give me some guide lines on where to start?
    Don't use umbrellas with carbon fibre handles, lightning loves them.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a few of us out this way as Kiwi said, Storm season is just starting up out here, forecast storms for Sunday arvy actually, and I'll be out right smack bang in the middle of it again Philr is the one you want to talk to too, he comes out this way, cause this is where most of the good storms are born
    bring on the summer storms! I can't wait!
    A good place to start would be, next time you have a lightning storm about, pop your camera on your tripod, put it in AV mode, F 16 or there abouts, using a remote, point and shoot. unless you have a lightning trigger, MOST lightning shots are just flukes. ( unless of course you ask me, all mine were planned )
    Happy to take all constructive Critique, please don't rework or edit my photos. Thanks!

Canon 6D, 2 Canon 50D's gripped, Canon 1000D, Canon 70-200 F2.8 ( non IS),Canon 70-200 2.8, Canon 24-70 2.8, Sigma 85 1.4, Canon 50mm F1.8.. yongnuo speedlights and triggers, and manfrotto tripods.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can capture lighting before it hits the ground
    I'm the chuck norris of photography

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you have brilliant ninja skills master Kiwi

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be very careful!!! It is a VERY dangerous pastime and it is not as easy as some think it is. There are a lot of risks to person and property that many don't think about. There is also a lot of time and money put into this type of pastime/photography. I spent over 4 grand last year in fuel alone! There are a lot of backyard storm chasers who think they are great because they get lucky and the storms come to them!! But there is a lot more involved than that if you want to get the good stuff. I am thinking of holding a bit of a Storm Chasing photo tour a few times this season. It is yet to be decided but a mate and I are planning on doing something pretty cool to help people capture images like this
    Critique and comments welcomed on my images!

www.philrettkephotography.com
    http://www.flickr.com/philrettke

Canon EOS 5D MKII x 2 | Ef 70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM | Ef 16-35mm f2.8L II | Ef 180mm f/3.5L macro | Ef 24-70mm f/2.8L | Adobe Photoshop CS3 extended | Digital Photo Professional | Photomatix Pro 3 | Adobe Lightroom 2.3

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Okay! I have no idea about meteorology but at least I can control my camera a little. Looks like it would be a great idea to join one of you guys instead of starting just by myself.

Please let me know when will be your next meeting etc and I am sure I am happy to join!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    talk to Xebadir on this site.
    it's his obsession.
    Peter.

Some of my photo's are at www.peterking.id.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With no knowledge of meteorology you are not in a very good position to go out and get pictures of these nasty storm systems. Have a look at the pages linked on this thread ie. BoM and WZ. The storms up there can be very dangerous and if caught in the middle of one could kill you, not just the lightning but the large hail that comes with some of them. Storms are very unpredictable, misjudge one and it could be your last. Get a little knowledge while out with others that have a little more experience.

I am not saying don't go, but be mindful that if you could get caught out. Knowledge of the track of storms help too, gives you an idea on what path to take. Mobile radar in your mobile phone is handy too...
    Andrew.
    comments and criticisms are always appreciated.
    Unless I post into the "NOT FOR CRITIQUE" section then the above doesn't apply.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess the weather photography is the 2nd dangerous thing to do from warfare journalist But for some reason it makes me more keen than ever. I am really keen to tag along with someone if possible