User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Macro Settings Help - Canon 100mm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Macro Settings Help - Canon 100mm

I have just got my new Canon 100mm and was wondering what is the best settings and what to shoot in for Macro photographs. Should I shoot in manual or automatic, any advice would be great, thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a really open ended question really. Macro photography is like any other kind of photography, it will depend on the situation! I wouldn't shoot in full manual unless you know what you're doing or can easily change settings on the fly. As a general rule of thumb, you would want to shoot in Av on the mode dial (apeture priority), and try to aim for f5.6 to f8 for a some depth of field with optimal sharpness. Use your ISO to keep your shutter speed about 1/125th of a second handheld. Do not use the on camera flash as it was never designed for macro work. If it's not bright and sunny you might struggle, so you may need to invest in a macro ring flash or get a TTL cord and a speedlite to light your subject.

Quote Originally Posted by ccrnkovic View Post
    I have just got my new Canon 100mm and was wondering what is the best settings and what to shoot in for Macro photographs. Should I shoot in manual or automatic, any advice would be great, thanks
    Canon stuff 5Dmk1 w/ 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 5Dmk1 w/70-200f2.8L, 100mm f2.8 macro, 50mm f1.4, 580exII
    Alienbees B800, Lumopro 160, Manfrotto 155XPROB w/ 498RC2, Lowepro ProRunner X450AW
    Phew!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the begining of this forum there is a section on macro evry thing from flash and what settings to use it was put togeather by Steady Hands and well worth a look at.
    Canon5D MK III,Canon 6D,Canon 17-40 L ,Canon 24-70 MKIIL , [/COLOR],Canon 70-200MkII L ,Sigma Fisheye 15mm 2.8 ,Canon 2xMk3 Extender, 430EX11 Flash , Lee Big Stopper & Other Lee Filters.
    Manfrotto 055XPROB + 322RC2 + MBAG80P.
    Critique is allways welcome, Any help and advise will allways be appreciated.

davidwalkerphotography.net