Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help me to decide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please help me to decide

Hi all

I am looking to buy a DSLR Camera, and really like the Canon Eos range. But im not sure what i should buy.

I am not really after anything that does video as i have a very good HD video camera already

What i am after is a camera and lens that is good for sports or moving wild life shots, as well as a camera that is good at doing portraits and group photos,

I would like to purchase the camera and a lens or lenses first, then buy a good external flash leter on for indoor shots.

I am willing to look at other brands as well, but for some reason Canon crabs me.

I would much appreciate if i could get a few opinons to help me to decide.

I have around $2k to get me going.

Thanks

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kyle, as a brand new package with careful shopping around I reckon a Pentax K7 and Sigma 70-200 F2.8 will fill 90% of your initial ^ needs in that price range. That way you get a solid camera and lens combination with great credentials compared to the C brand with dubious entry level reliability.

Lens acquisition phobia kicks in later.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A brand new Canon 50D is at an all time low price, and it is a very capable camera, if you can find them before they run out. It is even lower than the 500D in some stores!
    A brand new Canon EF 28-135mm f3.5-4.5 USM is so el cheapo it's amazing. It is a Full Frame lens you can carry on in the future should you decide to move to Full Frame format.
    Both camera and lens are way way below the 2K mark.

Canon 50D
    http://www.shopbot.com.au/pp-canon-e...ce-126610.html

With the 28-135mm lens attached:
    http://www.shopbot.com.au/pp-canon-e...ce-188848.html

"The greatest camera in the world is the one you hold in your hands when shit happens." ©2007 Raoul Isidro

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As with the above comments, the Canon 50D is the way to go and if you can grab one before they are all sold you will not regret the purchase. A very capable 15 Mpx camera which doesn't do video but does everything else you can imagine. Ships with some quite handy software too.

As to lenses, the Canon 17-40mm f4L is about the same price and for a combined "Grey Import" total of $1600 or so you would have a professional level outfit. The 17-40 might be a bit wide for the work you want to do though and at f4 it isn't all that fast but the quality is unmatched. For telephoto stuff the Canon 71-200 f4L is only about $800 landed, also excellent quality if a bit on the slow side.

I tell you all this because I own and use all of them regularly and so sad at having paid more than double these prices when I bought them, hasten slowly on the matter though
    Richard
    I've been wrong before!! Happy to have constructive criticism though.Gear used Canon 50D, 7D & 5DMkII plus expensive things hanging off their fronts and of course a "nifty fifty".

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, the eternal question! Whichever camera and lens combination you choose, there will be limitations and people to criticise your choice. The fact is that almost all the equipment in your price range will do a more than adequate job. I was going to travel to Europe and hassled over which Canon lens to buy and could have bought the 24-70 and the 70-200, both f2.8 to go with my 400D but the weight! I could see myself getting neck -aches carrying the stuff! In the end, after seeing a slide show at my local camera club of someone's trip to Vietnam where they took a Canon 18-200, I was so impressed that I compared that lens with the Tamron 18-270mm on dpreview.com and found that the latter was at least as good as the Canon and better in some departments so I bought that. Yes it's slower than an f2.8 but the light weight and the incredible zoom range was a good trade-off because I needed only one lens instead of two. Here is a shot from my trip. It received a merit award at my local club so it indicates that the combination is not all that bad. If this is your first SLR then go for an entry level Canon and a Tamron 18-270. It's a very useful way to start.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Entrapro; 02-10-2010 at 12:57pm. Reason: Photo was too large.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Entrapro's: Your photo does look fantastic, the colours and contrast stands out for such a versatile lens and thank you very much for the advise.

Now this is the only thing that is holding me back at the moment which is the best lenses that will suit me. I am not really worried about weight for carrying camera gear around, as i will purchase a good pack pack for this. I dont want to start of with everything just a basic kit to get me going then add with time.

I have always liked the reviews i see about the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L USM or with IS or with IS

Whats the difference between getting a good photo with the L and having one with IS, i see there is nearly a $1000 price difference. I have also been trying to find photo which shows the 70mm and the 200 range, I want to see his to determine hoe far it will zoom.

Yes i want to be able to take good sports shots such as football games, motor sport, air shows etc. But i also want to get a lens that i can take good portraits as well.

I also took a liking to this lens Canon EF-S 18-200mm IS lens after seeing a good review on youtube at this address http://www.youtube.com/user/camerala...23/HsL4Te8g_1k

which i think will be a general purpose lens with good zooming and quality.

I am also interested in portraits and night photography will any of what i recommended would be good
    for this.

Please help me decide on a general purpose lens

Thanks for all comments so far

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a word of advice, get a sigma 70-200 hsm minimum if you are thinking about sport that length is also ideal for portraits

Get whatever camera body, I'd say a nikon d90, to match with it

Get a tamron 28-75 with it, and you are set for around about your budget
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mmmmm not too sure a tampon will do him much good for taking photos
    Pentax K-5iis, DA* 50-135 IF SDM | Sigma 18-125 3.5-5.6 | Sigma 70-210 4-5.6 |Sigma 28-80 3.5-5.6 Macro |Pentax-FA 28-80 3.5-4.7 |Pentax A 50 1.7 |Pentax DA 12-24 | Pentax DAL 55-300|Sigma 28-300 3.5-6.3 and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by milesy View Post
    mmmmm not too sure a tampon will do him much good for taking photos
    Whoops, dang auto speller on the phone, fixed

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for all the spelling mistakes, grammer or double typing in my post, i should have looked before submitting.

I hope you can understand it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kyle ... as an owner of a Canon 50D I can only say that although I am very happy with my camera I wish I had just gone that next step & bought a Canon 5D MkII ... when you're just starting out in digital SLR photography the initial outlay for the average punter to set up just a good starting kit looks pretty massive but I suggest you seriously consider the long term investment you are making in your gear & buy accordingly ....

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kyle, you're starting off in the wrong direction. First you look for a lens, or a range of lenses that suit you, and then you just throw a camera on the back that suits your budget.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just want to say thanks for the replies its all helping.

First i dont want to go for something big straight up, camera wise, i dont want video either as i already have a $1900 canon hd video recorder.

I want to spend around 2 grand, maybe a little more, if i really enjoy it and get more involved i will sell what ever i get off and buy better set up.

What i am after is the following

1. a lens that will have good telephoto zoom capabilities, to take pictures of sport, wildlife, motor sport. most times with the camera just in the hand.

2. A lens that will do good portraits or group shots such as weddings

3. i want to be able to do some landscape work as well as night time work.

4 i would like to stick with the canon brand please, so any suggestions on any of these would be great

thank you
    kyle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a 50D with the 18-200 IS lens from Harvey Norman at Bennets Green for under $1500 as they are in runout and I am very pieased with it.I also have a 350D for the last 4 years and it is also a great camera. Get the 50D, you wont be sorry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TOM View Post
    ...first you look for a lens, or a range of lenses that suit you, and then you just throw a camera on the back...
    This is how I did it. It would not be very easy without knowing a bit about lenses though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle72 View Post
    1. a lens that will have good telephoto zoom capabilities, to take pictures of sport, wildlife, motor sport. most times with the camera just in the hand.

2. A lens that will do good portraits or group shots such as weddings

3. i want to be able to do some landscape work as well as night time work.
    It will not be easy to fit all this into your budget, even if you weren't buying a camera as well. You could get a couple of kit lenses with your 50D that would cover the range required for these things, but they really aren't much chop and you will be spending quite a bit of money on bulky equipment that won't give you any better image quality than what you'll get from a good compact.

I agree with Raoul that the 28-135 could be a good lens for you - I bought one with my first DSLR and was happy enough with it - and I would also look at the 70-200 f4, which has excellent optical performance and is very reasonable price wise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go the 50D. Then choose your lens of choice. Cant go wrong.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok i have rang around this morning and everyone of the stores i have talked said they have sold out of the 50d's and will not be getting them back in.

My next question is should i be trying to track down this camera, or should i move up to the 60d camera.

what about if something goes wrong with the camera, will i be able to get parts for it.

Thanks
    kyle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kyle,

Camera bodies are upgraded regularly, the 50D having just been replaced by the 60D, the 500D by the 550D etc. Many make the mistake of trying to keep up with the latest technology, this requires deep pockets and can end up becoming an unhealthy obsession where the kit becomes more important than the photographs you produce with it. Most cameras have an expected lifespan of at least 100K shutter actuations which is a lot of shots, so whatever body you get you will be able to keep it for quite a few years before it requires replacing.

I made the switch from film (All Pentax Kit) to digital (Canon) in 2007 with a Canon 400D and the kit lenses of the day, the 18-55 and 75-300 (non-IS). At the time this was the latest model in the xxxD range of bodies. It was, and still is capable of doing everything I asked of it, which is pretty much a similar range of genres to what you seem to be interested in.

After much research, and reading a review which included comparisons between the 50D, 550D and 7D http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ra-Review.aspx I upgraded to the 550D, along with a 70-200 f4L IS in June. The difference in quality of images between the kit lens and the L series is OUTSTANDING. Having said that I'm not sure that I would have appreciated it as much if it had been my first lens.

If I were starting again, I'd probably still buy the current xxxD series body and kit lenses while I learnt my craft. Despite what you may read, the resale of the kit lenses is quite reasonable, I got $135 for the 18-55, and $158.50 for the 75-300 on eBay earlier this year. This is more than I paid for the lenses when I purchased the body and lenses as a kit.

When looking at lenses, don't forget that most of the consumer and prosumer ranges of bodies use APS-C format sensors, so you will need to multiply the focal length of the lens by 1.6 to establish the actual focal length on the reduced sensor body. (ie a 70-200 lens becomes 112-340 on an APS-C format body).

So my advice to you as a beginner would by to buy a kit, with a lens/lenses covering the wide angle to telephoto range, learn your craft, and then upgrade to better lenses as you develop an understanding of what focal lengths and apertures you need for your own particular photographic style.
    Last edited by unistudent1962; 03-10-2010 at 2:13pm.
    Mark

Canon 70D w/Grip l Canon 60D w/Grip l EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM l EF 70-200 f4L IS USM l EF-S 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM l EF 100 f2.8 USM Macro l EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS STM l EF 50 f1.8 II l Canon EF-S 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM l 430 EX II Flash l Rode Stereo VideoMic l Manfrotto 055XPROB + 498RC2 Tripod l Benro MP-96 M8 Monopod l Lowepro Vertex 200 AW Backpack l Lowepro Pro Runner 300 AW Backpack l PS CS5 Extended l Lightroom 4.3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can still buy a BNIB 50D locally, on line with full warranty for around $870, body only, or with any combo of lens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you are looking at the canon range and are interested in

*zoom capabilities for sport & wildlife,
    *lens that will do good portraits or group shots such as weddings and also
    *landscape work as well as night time work.

I suggest buying second hand. This is what I have done ever since I started (about 14 months ago).
    I believe I have made significant savings and been able to buy much better glass leading to more dynamic photos.

In your case I would look at:

*a used canon 40d (should be able to find one around the $700 mark) or 50d http://www.blueflymobile.com/Canon-E...gn=export_feed

*canon 70-200 f4 lens. The cheapest 200 zoom on the market and one of the sharpest lenses you can buy. (This will be a great lens for motor sport/wildlife and can also double as a really good portrait lens, should get one of these NEW for <$700 ) http://www.shopbot.com.au/m/?m=canon+70-200+f4

*sigma 10-20 or canon 10-22 Ultra Wide Angle lens. Very good lenses for landscape photography (just make sure you have a tripod) as well as those group shots which look great at 20mm. SHould come in around $450.

With this setup (camera body + 2 lenses) you should have enough money left over for a decent tripod.

Just my 2 cents

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast