User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: E-pl1 wuth FD lens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

E-pl1 wuth FD lens

Just bought the E-PL1 to revive all my canon FD lenses. Just find it very difficult to focus using the lcd. Just ordered the VF-2, electronic viewfinder and hopefully that will make the MF easier.

Colour and clarity is excellent with E-PL1, I reckon. Just the VF-2 is a must to operate manuel lenses. It's very expensive. Cost more than half of the camera.

Anyone have experience to share?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a similar set-up. I have an FD 50/1.4 and a range of extension tubes I want to use. Even with the VF2, I'm having trouble getting shots as sharp as I know the lens can produce. I haven't put that much time into it yet. Your comment on the VF2 price is spot on. Nevertheless, a little while back them were difficult to obtain, so I guess Olympus would reckon the price is OK! When the cameras were $999 RRP it didn't look so bad, but when they dropped the price to $799.....

Still, I took the camera O/S (got the GST back at least!) and it was great to have as a 2nd travel camera.

I'd be glad of hear of anything you come up with. Thanks.
    John
    www.pbase.com/jb53 www.flickr.com/photos/johnb53

CC always welcome (encouraged!)!!

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ordered the VF-2 already. Takes a week maybe to arrive. Just tried the E-PL1 with FD 85mm f1.2. Using the lcd to focus is really hard. Esp for those who owns legacy lens, they could not be young. I myself is getting poor in eye sight and hopfully the VF-2 will help.

I enjoy greatly the large aperture of the FD lenses. DOF is all at your disposal.

My VF-2 cost me A$368. Olympus said they have only four in stock.

How much your one cost? Is it good?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i don't find it too difficult to focus with the lcd, infact i thought it would be impossible. but i'm normally shooting at f1.4, and it is a lot easier than when i've tried at say f11. for landscape, the infinity focus is just fine, no lcd required.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tried the VF-2 already and found it much easier to focus than the LCD. The single lens kit costed me $640, the VF-2 alone costed me $368. But without the VF-2, the E-PL1 is almost useless to me. So, I have no choice.

The picture taken with Canon FD lenses, (85mm f1.2L, 50mm f1.4 ,80-200mm f4L) are excellent. Exposure is spot on with A mode. Spend over a thousand dollars to revive all the FD lenses is still worth it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I paid list price for the VF2 ($399). As I was going OS, I was able to get the GST back. Olympus had none in stock initially. I only have the one lens that is still OK (50mm 1.4) but I have a number of extension tubes that I have been trying out. Here's a pic from the other day.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a really nice shot John. Just out of interest, do you need an adaptor to run the FD lenses with the micro 4/3 bodies or will the just plug straight on?

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I am very interested, too. I was on the point of selling my FD stuff, if I can use the lenses I might be interested in one of these.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. You'll need an adaptor. I bought mine on e-bay. You can get them for a range of different lens brands, but some need an optical element (The FD ones don't which is good)! The one I purchased came from 'muchmall' and seems to work fine but I have seen good reviews on DPReview.com for those from 'ciecio7' on eBay as well. Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should clarify that the adaptors that need optical elements are those for using the FD lens on conventional DSLR cameras rather than the mirrorless cameras such as the e-PL1. The mirrorless geometry removes the need which is good.