Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Off camera flash

Can anyone give a bit of advice regarding what to look for with flash units.

I'm looking at playing around with portraiture and want to get a wireless off camera flash solution and softbox just to start.

I haven't done much research with this as quite frankly I don't know what specs to look for in a flash unit. Budget is about $500 and I'm happy enough to buy from o/s.

Any help would be appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the new nikon sb 700 has just been released. am not sure when it will arrive in australia though. since it is part of the nikon creative lighting system (CLS), it will surely be very much compatible with your d700.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Nikon SB600 will work fine as a slave (remote) unit, it just doesn't work as a master unit. The new SB700 would be very nice, and will function as a master unit (only important if you want 3 groups of flashes). Your D700 will control 2 remote groups.

See this blog for a HEAP of info on Nikon's CLS.

http://nikonclspracticalguide.blogspot.com/
    David

Nikon D810
    Nikkor AF-S 24-120VR, Nikkor AF-S 16-35VR, Nikkor AF-S 70-300VR, Nikkor AF 50 f1.8
    Tamron 90mm Macro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The nice thing about Nikons is the CLS.
    Some of it's cameras as far back as a the D70 can function a Master to units such as the SB600. It is built into the D70 body system!
    For around $150 you can buy a set of reflective brollie softlighting complete with stand and flash brackets from major photo suppliers.
    Here is an example:
    http://www.###########.com.au/Strobi...fcb653182970b7
    "The greatest camera in the world is the one you hold in your hands when shit happens." ©2007 Raoul Isidro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I currently use a D80 and SB600 with the CLS. Works fantastic except in bright sunlight. I bought a umbrella and stand kit off ebay to about $80 and have been really happy with the results. However the one thing the SB600 and 700 is the lack of a pc sync socket. If you decide to get some radio triggers or pocket wizards you will need this as it is more reliable then the CLS system, so maybe the SB800 or 900 might be a better option. I'm sure you can pickup a new 900 from digitalrev for about 500 ish.
    A heap of Nikon stuff and some really bright lights!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    id get a 2nd hand sb-800 and a long ttl sync cord off ebay, and yongnua flash triggers alsi
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out strobist
    http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/
    The tutorials and on assignment sections are superb and will illuminate the subject for you...
    I got a 900 and its been good, but its big. A cheaper way to dip your toe in might be to get a yongnua iTTL flash. Using the camera as the master is very convenient, but a ttl sync cord is quicker as you can dial the flash compensation at the camera using a button and dial if you are close enough instead of diving into the menu system each time.
    Brolly and lightstand and some gels and you are away. Plus reflectors, gobos, diffusers, snoots, grids and lots and lots of batteries

Account Closed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the advice everyone. I ended up with the sb 900 after figuring out that the Nikon already did the wireless bit for me and it pretty much fit the budget.