User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Which cheapish monitor?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which cheapish monitor?

I'm currently using a few years old 15" BenQ monitor to edit my photos, as when calibrated with my Eye One Display 2 it's far closer to the actual image than my overly contrasty notebook monitor. However, I'm thinking that even this is probably limiting. So does anybody have any recommendations for a reasonable monitor for photo editing? Looking to keep it within several hundred dollars, unless at that price range there's no point...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Look at the Dell's, they have some good priced reasonable quality monitors. I note that your other thread talks about making money from photography, so don't skimp by buying a 'cheap' monitor. You get what you pay for so spending that bit more is well worth it.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Rick... and don't forget to budget for the Spyder or some other reputable monitor calibration hardware.

I'm doing this for fun not profit and just got a nice ACER 24" widescreen LCD on sale for $250.00.

Choice!!!
    Dan

Canon EOS 550D Gripped - Twin Lens Kit - Speedlite 430EX II
    CC and EDITS with info invited. Feed my brain!
    "don't drink from the mainstream"

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently got myself an LG W2442 for about $300 I think(can't remember exactly!).
    Calibrates very well, is not IPS, but IPS is not the be all and end all in panel technology.. it's just good.

The main point is can it calibrate well, and it seems many current gen TN type screens are very capable.

You have the One Eye, so at least you can calibrate it well.

if you have about $400 to spend, get the huger 27" W2753V version.. because bigger is better.

MSY sell them.

note: does your PC(or graphics card) connect to a screen via HDMI cable. I noticed that once I switched to the HDMI connection(from DVI), it allowed a few more screen settings adjustments(like gamma adjustments and blackpoint brightness), which ultimately allows for a more precise calibration too.

if you can justify the price, Dell's U2410 is apparently very good, and allows for a slightly more accurate IQ. If you can afford, or justify that $700 price tag, then this is the one to seriously consider according to two reviews I've now seen.
    I reckon there's a very good chance that will be my next purchase.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry. I failed to notice you already had a calibrator.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got a dell U2410. Looks good. Dell is selling them for $699, but you can get them from Haris Technology (stores all over the country) for $598. Is IPS monitor with extended colour ranges(most of your TN panels are 6 or 7 bit colour, these are 10bit).
    Canon 500D | EFS 15-85mm IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EFS 18-55mm IS | EFS 55-250mm IS | Tamron 90mm F/2.8 Macro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FilthyAmatuer View Post
    I just got a dell U2410. Looks good. Dell is selling them for $699, but you can get them from Haris Technology (stores all over the country) for $598. Is IPS monitor with extended colour ranges(most of your TN panels are 6 or 7 bit colour, these are 10bit).
    big thumbs up for the Dell 24 incher, best bang for your buck under 1 grand I reckon. IPS and HDMI and highly rated for its colour accuracy

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just picked up a very nice Viewsonic 24" monitor with analogue, DVI and HDMI inputs for $285 and it does a great job. I am very impressed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another for the U2410, I have 2 of them, and they are pretty good now Dell have sorted the pink/green tinge issues.

They calibrate well, and reflect quite accurately what I get when I print, although I should also point out my printer and paper is profiled as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just on the Dell U2410:

I was checking out the specs and it was noted to be using the "LG PHILIPS LM240WU4-SLB1" IPS panel.

This panel is also used in the following models:
    Model Response Time Panel
    Dell U2410 6ms G2G 24"WS LG.Display H-IPS (LM240WU4-SLB1)*
    NEC PA241W 8ms G2G 24"WS LG.Display p-IPS (LM240WU4-SLB1)
    NEC PA241W-SV 8ms G2G 24"WS LG.Display p-IPS (LM240WU4-SLB1)
    NEC SpectraView 241 8ms G2G 24"WS LG.Display p-IPS (LM240WU4-SLB1)

*Note: H-IPS not P-IPS
    P-IPS: Circa 2010
    H-IPS: Circa 2007

It's useful to note that the while using the same PANEL, the NEC only have a different driver chip, and it comes for the tidy sum of around $2,000.00 compared to the DELL which is normally about $700 (but some here have found better which is cool).

The chip would probably be produced at a negligible cost.

I'd conclude that the Dell is bloody good bang for its buck!!!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Panels are only part of the equation - and yes by all means a substantial part. But it also the drivers do vary ion what they allow the monitor to do.
    In my view more important is to check the dead pixel policy of whatever brand you are considering.

When I bought my last monitor with 'photo editing' in mind I bought an Eizo (low-nmid range at the time). The Eizos did (and probably still do) command a premium price BUT there are many great monitors out there now from other brands which are certainly just as good - at least in the 'affordable' realm. Extreme top end I wouldn't know.
    Gear: Panasonic Lumix FZ200 / Huawei Mate 20 / LR 5, PSE 12, Da Vinci resolve

"I may be crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."