User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  17
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: K-5 official discussion thread (not rumors)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by K10D View Post
    All of the data, so far The K5 looks good. I missed the K20 and went from a K10 to the K7. A big enough difference.

I'll be looking to see what follows the K5 before I get another pentax body. My only concern is the SDM lenses, will they speed up on the K5?

Regards
    I doubt the SDM lenses would gain a massive 'speed boost', since they were never really fast like Canon's USM or Nikon's etc.

Pentax really needs to sort out their abysmal flash system and provide better features and controls, and not let their loyal users switch to Metz or Sigma for lighting purposes. I do think the AF system needs to be more punchy too to match the competition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Who knows, better then the *ist naming.
    Who do we explain K-m K-x K-r ?
    Yes, kudos to them for dropplling the *ist. That was plain bonkers. And yes, Km, kx kr is a bit odd also. I was hoping that most major camera brands would have settled out their naming by now, but they're all wacko to some extent. Nikon can't make up it's mind either in the entry level to enthusiast dSLR lineup.
    Canon stuff 5Dmk1 w/ 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 5Dmk1 w/70-200f2.8L, 100mm f2.8 macro, 50mm f1.4, 580exII
    Alienbees B800, Lumopro 160, Manfrotto 155XPROB w/ 498RC2, Lowepro ProRunner X450AW
    Phew!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    I doubt the SDM lenses would gain a massive 'speed boost', since they were never really fast like Canon's USM or Nikon's etc.

Pentax really needs to sort out their abysmal flash system and provide better features and controls, and not let their loyal users switch to Metz or Sigma for lighting purposes. I do think the AF system needs to be more punchy too to match the competition.
    I think abysmal might be a bit harsh - after all they do offer integrated wireless flash, which I understand one of the big players does not offer.
    My main issue with the Pentax flash system is the sync speed - what other areas do you think it is lacking (apart from having a large range)

The other item that I think Pentax should have included in the K5 is a dual SD card slot - with video and larger files IMO it is becoming more of a necessity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattC View Post
    I think abysmal might be a bit harsh - after all they do offer integrated wireless flash, which I understand one of the big players does not offer.
    My main issue with the Pentax flash system is the sync speed - what other areas do you think it is lacking (apart from having a large range)

The other item that I think Pentax should have included in the K5 is a dual SD card slot - with video and larger files IMO it is becoming more of a necessity.
    No I stand by my comment of abysmal, same with many many other professionals who have moved away from Pentax for work due to its flash and AF system. Canon and Nikon offer wireless flash, Sony is not a big player yet lol so I dont pay attention to them

Why should we put up with a Pentax system that is inaccurate in its metering half the time when the subject is in testing conditions ie. under variable lighting or blown clothes? Thats not good enough. Slower recycle time than the others, and not weather sealed to match the sealed bodies and lenses.

So yeah, some of the best primes ever made, great bodies, but let down by an increasingly obsolete flash system - might be sufficient for amateurs, but even so, it needs to be addressed in order for Pentax to be taken more seriously, instead of releasing bodies every year

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mongo will not get excited until Pentax make a full frame and DX combo. Everything else is just tinkering. Mongo understands this is still an APS-C cropped censor. If he is wrong, Mrs Mongo will buy one immediately. If you do not already have a pentax body and want one, then, this is a very good camera. However, if you already have a pentax body, this would not be enough of an improvement to even tempt a purchase.

Mrs Mongo has been waiting some years now to buy a new Pentax body but will not do so unless it is full frame and DX.
    Nikon and Pentax user

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pentax stated strategy is APS-C (DX) and Medium format. No plans for 35mm sensor

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That will disillusion Mongo and devastate Mrs Mongo. Bad news Kym

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will all due respect Mongo - why be so down about no full frame? You get a lot of this on Pentax forums, and it gets tiring.

My opinion is that Pentax probably do not want to cater for the 'professional' market with full frame cameras, and are probably aiming at getting as much market share of the enthusiastic market as possible (lets face it - that's where the money is) - this is further evidenced my the fact they do not have any long glass (300mm being the current longest focal range - bar the 600mm special order lens). I would much prefer they introduce longer glass before a full frame camera.

If Mrs Mongo has not used or seen any of the current range cameras from Pentax for some years, then it may be worth having a look again, especially at the K5 - you may be both surprised!.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matt, as you would well be aware, Mongo and Mrs Mongo are Pentax best friends and advocates. There is no reason to try and protect Pentax from any comments we are likely to make about it.
    What others may not understand is that sometimes people make significant investments in the product which is sometimes rare and expensive e.g. some of their best glass. The long lenses (which once included a 1000mm f8 Takumar which was approx 6 kgs plus) are no problem and indeed great on a cropped sensor and give extra length. Mrs Mongo is more than happy with her current IstD body. Nothing Pentax seeks to offer in the cropped sensor department will be of any interest over what she already owns – irrespective of how many bells and whistles Pentax say they have added to what is still essentially a cropped sensor camera.
    However, for as many good long lenses there are ultra wides and wide zooms we have (which we think are better than anything offered today) which we would like to use including a Pentax 15mm rectilinear lens. We would like to use this at its intended 15mm wide and not about 22mm. All other wide lenses and wide zooms are similarly compromised and no longer really useful for their intended purpose.

One might start to understand how our loyalty and appreciation for the Pentax product is starting to look misplaced if this is the reward we get. Moreover, it is not right to suggest that we could or should simply buy other lenses to replace these. First, we should not have to. Secondly, to do so (given their current standard of the product compared to the ones we already own) would, in many cases, be like asking us to exchange gold for lead. There are some (quite rightfully) that would not exchange their old masterpieces for anything painted today or their classic car for any new one made today. They get far more enjoyment using the one they have and choose to have.

So from Mongo’s perspective it is more than disappointing that Pentax has made the decision and whist it is very unusual that Mongo finds himself making a critical remark about Pentax, he feels, in this case, it is justified and one which Pentax has to wear.

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vanbar list K-5 @ $1,379.40 (AUD inc. Tax) Australian Warranty
    http://www.vanbar.com.au/catalogue/product.php?id=73368

Fine print
    This product has recently been announced by the manufacturer. The price and specifications are not confirmed yet, however we are taking pre-orders as we expect the initial demand to be high. Should the final price be higher that our anticipated price we will advise you prior to shipping. If the price is lower you will be invoiced accordingly. If you have any enquires about this or any other product please contact our sales team on bla bla

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found more on the Vanbar price from someone @ Vanbar...
    It is anticipated...

I'd like to take a moment just to clarify our motivation on pre-listing products.

We pre-list the items so people can order them, if the price goes up the customer is advised of this before the goods are charged and invoiced. If the customer does not wish to proceed as the price has gone up their full deposit will be refunded.

If the price has gone down we will invoice at the lower cost.

Camera estimates are hard to do 100% accurately as the cost in other territories is not always relevant in the Australian market.

The idea of that whole system is to allow people who really want the product to get in early and avoid lengthy waits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems to be a bit of discussion about the buffer for high speed shooting in RAW mode. Still 7 fps for RAW but the amount of shots that can be taken is not clear.
    Some places say it is just 8 RAW frames before the buffer is full while others have stated that it is 15 frames. Lots of talk in a thread on the Pentax Forums with some links to sites with info on it. Hopefully it is at least 15 frames otherwise you will only be able to shoot high speed RAW images for around 1 sec before the buffer is full and it all slows down.
    Pentax K20D & Grip, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5 DC Macro, Sigma APO 70-200 f2.8 EX DG HSM II, Metz Mecablitz 48 AF-1 flash, LowePro Flipside 300 backpack, Photoshop CS 5, Lightroom 3, Manfrotto Monopod & 498 RC2 Ball Head, GoldPhoto "Tracker" Tripod, Hoya CPL and UV filters, Yongnuo RF602 flash triggers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread is supposed to be about the K5 - not what Pentax supposedly lacks in it's range.

Personal comment removed
    Last edited by Kym; 28-09-2010 at 12:55pm.

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, keep it on topic and not personal.

Pentax have stated officially that they are doing APS-C and Medium Format, not 35mm format sensors.
    The 35mm sensor issue is now off topic in this thread.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak View Post
    Thanks Kym, I will now remove myself as member of these forums, My post was not insulting, and Matt's plainly was... But if this is the way new Pentax enthusiast are catered for here: I'm more than happy to refrain from posting here anymore. It was nice for the two weeks i was here: But i found MattC's posts to be completely inappropriate and not in the Pentax spirit.

Is there a way to completely remove my profile & posts, and unsubscribe my username?
    members are entitled to post their views on subjects, even if it disagrees with your own. But if you wish to have your account closed, send me a PM and I will do so. I am not about to pander to precious people who take offence at others views.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak View Post
    I'm apparently not allowed to post views, as they were removed and contained no personal attacks or remarks. They were simply answering a question, but yes please do remove my posts and account, as this is not the place for me..

Thanks Rick!
    Matt did not attack you in any way, he simply stated that if you were not happy with Pentax, then sell your gear. Simple statement and his opinion. However below is your reply that attacked Matt personally?

It's just your attitude that likes to see doom and gloom rather than legitimate opinions from happy Pentax users. I suggest you take your own advice, and stop from trying to give others your opinion, when nobody asked, as this is a K-5 thread.

Obviously you are quite rude, disrespectful, and as such you should keep your thoughts and insults to yourself. If i had of realized what a waste of time it was to respond to your amateur thoughts, i would of refrained from doing so, and as such will not bother with responding to you any further. Nuff Said!
    You commented about Matt's attitude. you called him rude and disrespectful. What is there about this quote that is not personal?

Account closed with pleasure.
    Last edited by ricktas; 28-09-2010 at 1:15pm.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Admin note : This thread may look at bit strange now. The member who's account has been closed, has had all his posts removed, so some quotes and comments will not align with previous discussions. Sorry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm... well back on topic , and I found this youtube video of some interest - not sure how live view worked in the k7, but certainly in the K20D it is far from finished (IMO).
    Looks like they have done some work for the K5 with the live view - could be quite useful for macros now?

[YT]KxGKSRFlMbA[/YT]

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    K-7 live view is very good. You can pan & zoom (up to 10x) which is really handy for manual focus.
    Next time we catch up I'll show you.

K20D live view is less than helpful.

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast