User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  17
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: K-5 official discussion thread (not rumors)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

K-5 official discussion thread (not rumors)

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10...xk5preview.asp

http://pentaxdslrs.blogspot.com/2010...th-new-18.html

K-5 with DA 18-135

Innovative image-processing functions to produce distinctive photographic expressions

* Custom image function for distinctive finishing touches: letting users easily select the desired finishing touch for a particular image.
    * Versatile digital filter function: The K-5’s digital filter function allows the user to process recorded images in a variety of creative ways and produce highly individualized visual expressions without requiring a computer.
    * Cross process mode with three options: The K-5 features the unique cross process mode, in which the camera automatically shifts photographic parameters for each exposure to create eye-catching images with unique, dramatic colours.
    * HDR (High Dynamic Range) function: The K-5 features the HDR (high dynamic range) function to create one composite image with an extra-wide gradation range from three images with different exposures, without requiring a computer.

In addition it has…

* Electronic level function, with a newly added tilt confirmation tool
    * Extended-exposure NR (Noise Reduction) function, with a choice of Auto, On and Off modes
    * High-sensitivity NR (Noise Reduction) function, with a camera-dependent Auto mode and a user-adjustable reduction level control for different sensitivity settings
    * RAW/Fx button, for single-action switching of image file format
    * Large, easy-to-view 3.0-inch wide-view colour LCD monitor with 921,000 dots
    * 77-segment multi-pattern metering system for extra-accurate light measurement
    * DR II (Dust Removal II) mechanism
    * Long battery life, for recording of 1,100 images with full recharge
    * User-friendly Hyper control system, to flexibly and accurately respond to the photographer’s creative intentions
    * Dynamic-range expansion function, to compensate for both whitewashed (overexposed) and black-out (underexposed) areas
    * Automatic compensation of distortion and lateral chromatic aberration (available only with DA-,DFA- and FA Limited-series lenses)
    * CTE mode, to automatically adjust the white-balance level to emphasize primary colours of sunset scenes
    * Attachment of copyright credits on recorded images
    * D-BG4 Battery Grip (optional) for extra power supply with an exclusive rechargeable lithium-ion battery or six AA-size batteries
    * Colour-specific control buttons/dials for easy recognition and quick access, based on the universal colour design
    * PENTAX Digital Camera Utility 4 software package

The K-5 will be available from mid-late October 2010.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.pentaximaging.com/slr/K-5/

Sensor: Type: CMOS w primary color filter and integrated Shake/Dust Reduction sensor movement system Size: 23.7 x 15.7mm Color depth: 8 bits/channel JPG, 14 bits/channel RAW Effective pixels: 16.3 MP Total pixels: 16.9 MP Recorded resolutions Still: 16M (4928x3264), 10M (3936x2624), 6M (3072x2048), 2M (1728x1152) Movie (resolution/FPS): 1920x1080p25, 1280x720p30/25, 640x480p30/25 Quality levels: **** Premium, *** Best, ** Better, * Good Dust Removal: DR II (ultrasonic vibration to low pass filter) with Dust Alert function

Shutter: Type: Electronically controlled, vertical-run, focal plane shutter Shutter speed: 1/8000 to 30 sec (1/3 or 1/2 steps), Bulb

Focus System: Type: SAFOX IX+ TTL phase-difference 11 point (9 cross) wide autofocus system with light wavelength sensor Focus modes: AF Single (w focus lock, focus/shutter priority selectable), AF Continuous (w focus/FPS priority selectable), Manual Focus point adjustment: Auto 11 Point, Auto 5 Point, User-Selectable, Center AF assist: Yes, via dedicated LED AF assist lamp

LCD Monitor: Type: 3.0” TFT color LCD with brightness/color adjustment and AR coating Resolution: 921,000 dots Wide angle viewable: Yes LIVE VIEW Type: TTL by CMOS image sensor Field Of View: 100% Display Modes: Magnification (2-6X AF, 2-10X MF), Grid Overlay (4x4, Golden Ratio, Scale), Bright/Dark Indication, Histogram Autofocus: Yes, Contrast + Face Detection, Contrast Detection, Phase Difference

Metering System: Type: TTL open-aperture 77 segment metering Sensitivity range: EV 0 to 22 (ISO 100, 50mm F1.4) Multi-segment: Yes (77 segments) Center weighted: Yes Spot: Yes Exposure compensation: +/- 5 EV (1/3 and 1/2 steps) Exposure lock: Yes Exposure bracketing: Yes (2, 3, or 5 frames, up to +/- 2 EV in 1/3 or 1/2 steps)

Viewfinder: Type: Pentaprism Coverage (field of view): 100% Magnification: 0.92X (w 50mm F1.4 at infinity) Standard focusing screen: Natural-Bright-Matte II (interchangeable) Diopter adjustment: -2.5m to 1.5m Depth of field preview: Optical (diaphragm stop-down), Digital

ISO Sensitivity: Auto: ISO 100-12800 (1, 1/2, 1/3 steps), expandable to ISO 80-51200, Bulb mode up to ISO 1600

Image Stabilization: Type: Sensor-Shift Shake Reduction with rotational compensation (4 stops max) Electronic level function: Yes, verification via viewfinder and LCD panel

Storage Media: Internal memory: n/a Removable memory: SD, SDHC, SDXC (via firmware update)
    Last edited by Kym; 21-09-2010 at 10:24am.

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From Yvon

Pentax also introduces a new lens. The Pentax DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR lens. Wow, that's a mouth full! In 35mm format, this is the equivalent of 27.5mm - 207mm. That's a zoom ratio of 7.5 times. This is a weather-resistant lens and complements the Pentax weather resistant DSLRs. This zoom lens has a DC motor built into the lens, assuring a fast and smooth autofocus operation. The lens incorporates Extra-Low Dispersion glass element, a hybrid aspherical element and a glass molded aspherical element in it's optic. The diaphramg is completely rounded, producing excellent bokeh. The front element is coated with Pentax's Super Protect coating, repelling dust, water and grease. That's a great all around lens.

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DPreview preview

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/pentaxk5/ (compares K-7, K-5, and K-r)

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the info Kym.

Hmmmm, MSRP $US1,599.95 = $AU1694.14 at today's RBA rate. That was for body only, as well as for body + 18-55mm kit lens. Huh ?

Wonder how much our local distributor will take us for?

Was surprised looking on Amazon to still see new K20D's for $US1926.59 with the 16-45mm lens.

It will be interesting to see how the new AF system stacks up in tests, and also how good the expanded ISO is. Whoopee, 80-51,200. Hell, I'd be delighted with no-noise usage at 1600.

Well if it all turns out to be as good as it looks on paper, it's on my wish list when the dust settles and prices drop.

Cheers

Kevin
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trublubiker View Post
    Well if it all turns out to be as good as it looks on paper, it's on my wish list when the dust settles and prices drop.
    Tempting yes, but worth a few months wait. Maybe 2011. Might be worth skipping for the next one?

The noise performance is the only thing that really interests me. And maybe the extra 2fps for wildlife.

The price is about what the K-7 was at first.

Spammer - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The K7 will be a bargain when sold as a run-out model when K5 arrives.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Master12 - Might be in Brizzie - but in Sydney the K-M with Pentax 18-55mm still sells for more than the K-X with Pentax 18-55mm... $799.00 for the K-M, and $717.00 for the K-X.

So the K7 might go "up" in price when the K-5 is released... Maybe discontinued Pentaxes suddenly gain an additional "rarity value"....!

PS: I do have a screenshot of those K-M and K-X prices - as it does seem somewhat odd...

Dave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i got some KM's in the shop when the K-x first came out, and I was selling them for more than the k-x. HOWEVER, it was with a different lens, certainly not an 18-55mm kit lens (from memory, a Sigma 17-70 f2.8 i think??) was a very limited special from CR Kennedy (ptx supplier) which I managed to score a few units.

I'd say they're selling the KM for more as they had too much old stock, and can't get a credit from the supplier. The k-x has since gotten cheaper so a lot of dealers would be stuck in an annoying position where they probably can't drop that price any further before going under cost price. But hey, they really should be getting a wriggle on, it's almost 12 months since the k-m finished up and i'd be trying to scoop those puppies out the door in a very fast, comical fashion!

Quote Originally Posted by exwintech View Post
    Master12 - Might be in Brizzie - but in Sydney the K-M with Pentax 18-55mm still sells for more than the K-X with Pentax 18-55mm... $799.00 for the K-M, and $717.00 for the K-X.

So the K7 might go "up" in price when the K-5 is released... Maybe discontinued Pentaxes suddenly gain an additional "rarity value"....!

PS: I do have a screenshot of those K-M and K-X prices - as it does seem somewhat odd...

Dave.
    Canon stuff 5Dmk1 w/ 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 5Dmk1 w/70-200f2.8L, 100mm f2.8 macro, 50mm f1.4, 580exII
    Alienbees B800, Lumopro 160, Manfrotto 155XPROB w/ 498RC2, Lowepro ProRunner X450AW
    Phew!

Spammer - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by exwintech View Post

Dave.
    The last batch of K20D was sold for $899 in Brisbane as run-outs!

Spammer - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    P.S. K20D body only.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it supposed to be 'up' or 'down' from K7? It seems quite similar.
    Maybe the K7 replacements will get more AF points?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ZedEx - That's DCW in Sydney - the page and prices are still there as of 11:15am Eastern.

There was no intention to mean anything against Digital Camera Warehouse - anything but!

I've bought 2 cameras, a tripod, a Hoya 58mm polariser, cards, so on, there over the last 2 years. They don't patronise or act condescendingly towards people buying non-DSLRs, and will take the time to discuss and advise with us newies.

When I needed a new tripod for the HS10, it had to be fairly strong, but light, and fold down as compactly as possible - to fit in a carry-bag, as I don't have a car, now. I said I'd be getting a K-X in a few months, or whatever replaces it - so preferably the tripod should also suit that.

They actually took the time to set 3 up and show how they worked - and I bought a Slik F740, for a mere $45.00, and that's working very well. They said it would be okay for an entry-level DSLR - and the weights of lenses I said I'd be able to afford - but larger lenses would need a more substantial tripod.

So, I'll be going back there for my K-R early next year...!

Dave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it looks like it would be a worthwhile step up from my K20, but just looking at the specs, I am left wondering why if they are using a electronic shutter, that they can't increase the flash sync from 1/180th?

For those already using the K7, it is probably not such a large step up, are you going to upgrade?
    As for me, I would certainly like to upgrade, but the price would have to drop a fair bit first.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still getting used to K7, whilst I would love the new features I will wait quite a while, I went from K10 and missed the K20. I need better lenses 1st.

If people start raving over the changes then might get me thinking!!!.
    Regards
    Kevin

Nikon D500 D7200. nikkor 200-500 f5.6, Tamron 100-400, Nikkor 70-200 f4 plus other glass.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevpride/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of the data, so far The K5 looks good. I missed the K20 and went from a K10 to the K7. A big enough difference.

I'll be looking to see what follows the K5 before I get another pentax body. My only concern is the SDM lenses, will they speed up on the K5?

Regards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by K10D View Post
    All of the data, so far The K5 looks good. I missed the K20 and went from a K10 to the K7. A big enough difference.

I'll be looking to see what follows the K5 before I get another pentax body. My only concern is the SDM lenses, will they speed up on the K5?

Regards
    I doubt the SDM lenses would gain a massive 'speed boost', since they were never really fast like Canon's USM or Nikon's etc.

Pentax really needs to sort out their abysmal flash system and provide better features and controls, and not let their loyal users switch to Metz or Sigma for lighting purposes. I do think the AF system needs to be more punchy too to match the competition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    I doubt the SDM lenses would gain a massive 'speed boost', since they were never really fast like Canon's USM or Nikon's etc.

Pentax really needs to sort out their abysmal flash system and provide better features and controls, and not let their loyal users switch to Metz or Sigma for lighting purposes. I do think the AF system needs to be more punchy too to match the competition.
    I think abysmal might be a bit harsh - after all they do offer integrated wireless flash, which I understand one of the big players does not offer.
    My main issue with the Pentax flash system is the sync speed - what other areas do you think it is lacking (apart from having a large range)

The other item that I think Pentax should have included in the K5 is a dual SD card slot - with video and larger files IMO it is becoming more of a necessity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattC View Post
    I think abysmal might be a bit harsh - after all they do offer integrated wireless flash, which I understand one of the big players does not offer.
    My main issue with the Pentax flash system is the sync speed - what other areas do you think it is lacking (apart from having a large range)

The other item that I think Pentax should have included in the K5 is a dual SD card slot - with video and larger files IMO it is becoming more of a necessity.
    No I stand by my comment of abysmal, same with many many other professionals who have moved away from Pentax for work due to its flash and AF system. Canon and Nikon offer wireless flash, Sony is not a big player yet lol so I dont pay attention to them

Why should we put up with a Pentax system that is inaccurate in its metering half the time when the subject is in testing conditions ie. under variable lighting or blown clothes? Thats not good enough. Slower recycle time than the others, and not weather sealed to match the sealed bodies and lenses.

So yeah, some of the best primes ever made, great bodies, but let down by an increasingly obsolete flash system - might be sufficient for amateurs, but even so, it needs to be addressed in order for Pentax to be taken more seriously, instead of releasing bodies every year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I opted to sell my K-x because it lacked some of the features I had become used to on the K200D, but K5 looks like a really good upgrade. I'll be watching the discount houses, I guess. Part of the attraction of Pentax for me has been that its relatively inexpensive to buy and own, by comparison with the others... K5 is getting up there.

Something puzzles me, though. Numbers in models usually increase... Wonder why Pentax went from K7 to K5... to the uninitiated it looks like a downgrade. (wonder why they didn't just stick with the existing nomenclature and go K30D, K40D etc)
    Blog : PPG : Flickr
    PENTAX K-5 + various lenses; Olympus XZ-1; Fujifilm X100; Ricoh GRD3

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast