User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good Photography Course

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My two cents... I recently did a photography course that turned out to be mostly theory based, with very little sharing or taking of actual pics. I understand that not all courses are like that but I could've used the net to find out most of the stuff I learnt. And saved my cash!
    I guess my point is I paid a lot of cash for what I could've learnt here for free.
    Good luck with deciding!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reading all of your replies has made me have second thoughts about a course. I am in the Army so away a lot but have some time off just after Christmas so hope to get up to Shark Bay in WA. Good luck with what you decide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah im having second thoughts too now.. only time will tell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have thought about a course on and off. Sometimes I think I get things and then look at some pictures I have taken and think they look crap! But, now I'm more leaning towards catching up with people from AP when there are get togethers so I can practice and pick their brains too. But yes, practice and practice is what you have to do. I'm just hanging to get through two weeks of having different guests before I can get back out there and concentrate on taking the pics.
    Canon EOS 350D; 18-55mm kit lens; 75-300mm kit lens; Tamron 17-50mm; SLIK Sprint Pro II tripod, B+W CPL filter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a lot of info online now so I don't believe going to a course will be very beneficial at all.
    Should there be practicals involved, they'll only give you examples/themes of what you should aim to shoot, which if you have a brain to think with, can come up with by yourselves.

There is so much inspiration if you just look outside, or inside for that matter!

This forum has so many threads for beginners that I'm suprised people would want to pay for a course instead.

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day all

I have followed this thread with interest - and also with personal interest have I followed the swings & roundabouts of the "do" and "don't bother" responses. Both are correct in their place IF the respondent knows the questioner.

As many of you know, I run workshops for beginners and intermediate-level photographers
    May I offer some thoughts for you - whether it's Brent who started this thread, or other APers reading it

Getting successful photographic experiences & skills are much getting car-driving skills ... you can read books, watch films etc, but until you get behing the wheel and actually do it, you aren't really "learning". However, to be a successful "driver" you need to know & understand the operations/behaviour/starting/stopping/cornering etc of the vehicle that's carrying you along.

Photography-wise, I find that 90% of students to a Level-1 workshop are running the camera on auto everything ... ie: their Canon or Nikon dSLR is a glorified kodak instamatic. Over the weekend, I take them thru the camera & its controls so that they can [often for the first time] understand why something is there, and how to use it. The photo excurions we do during the workshop are done as a group, with guidance and advice as to lens perspective, camera position [vote with your feet], settings - depth of field etc etc

During each afternoon workshop session, my partner, Alayne, prints off a collection of up to 8 per student which are then reviewed later. So when 60-70-or so images are spread out on the table, side-by-side comparisons can be made, images can be compared, students can then see & appreciate that there are many ways to 'see' a subject long before the taking of the photo

This 'group dynamic' is one of the most powerful ways of learning - seeing the results of others [here on AP is a good example], however when it's part of the same group of students, others in the group often remember the photograph under review being taken and comment "I wondered what you were doing....." and then they can utilise the experience themselves

So, while the decision as to whether to 'do' or 'not do' a course in photographic techniques is a personal one, please remember that the people offering them to you are doing so to share their knowledge & skills with you - and to make you a better photographer as a result

Hope this helps a bit ...
    Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have a community college in your area?
    Such institutions often run beginner courses through to more advanced, and in my experience costs are modest. AP is always here to help you too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Since you joined back in March we have seen one thread from you with 2 photos for critique. If I may be so bold, only you can solve your 'getting sidetracked', start joining in, post some photos, read the critiques, learn from them and you will improve a lot more. But in the end it is up to you. YOU have to make the effort to learn photography. A course, the internet etc is not going to improve your photography, you are! You need to put the work in, so stop getting sidetracked and that is the only way you will improve.
    Hi Rick,

With respect, I'd just like to say that posting photos, and actually getting some critique here are two very different things (and yes, I have offered more critique to others than I have posted photos).

Last edited by Eberbachl; 19-10-2010 at 1:31pm.
    Please don't hesitate to provide me with CC! I'd love to hear your thoughts regarding any of my images. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding the course, it all depends on the individual.

Personally, I love doing a structured course and get a lot from it. I'm currently doing the course at www.thephotographyinstitute.com.au and it's great. The material is extremely well written and up to date, it provides you with a bunch of information and encourages you to get out there and take photos. The critique on assignment photos from the tutor is excellent too. They also encourage group participation amongst members with a good facebook group - so there's plenty of participation and feedback - not all theory.

*Secret Tip* I wouldn't pay the $999 for the course - it's a good course, and probably a fair price, but you can hold out for a bargain... I signed up to their website ages ago, and of course over time they send you some *specials* via email. I held out for a good special, and ended up getting the course at almost half price. Add to this that they allow you to pay it in $24 installments as you complete the course (which typically takes 6-12 months) and you hardly notice the cost. It barely costs more than a few cups of coffee each week and contains a TON of good information.

A course is not for everyone, but courses do benefit many people. Sometimes jumping on a forum isn't enough all by itself. AP is a great resource, but for many a good course in conjunction with participation on a fourm like this one is a great idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have commenced doing the course through the photographyInstitute and am finding it to be a very well written course, (still stuck on greyscale stuff) Im learning to see through my camera in a new way and enjoying it more. I, like Eberbachl signed up to their website ages ago and waited for a good bargain, getting the course for almost half price.
    And now I have found AP I can learn so much more as well.
    Good luck with your decisions and enjoy your photography.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i did the chris bray course with my dad. it was great and id recommend it and you can also learn alot from here as well!

the advantage of a course i guess is that theres someone right there to help you when you are actually taking the photos.
    ~Emz
    30D, 17-85, 50m 1.4, 100mm macro L IS, 580 ex ii.

~all cc welcome~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did an Adult Education Course (quite economical) to learn about the buttons and dials and continue to scour websites such as this for more info, works for me!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have almost completed a photography course with Cengage and have found it average as I plan to make digital images and the course was focused more on film. Usually I am quite the self motivated however lost a bit of interest when it came to processing and developing as I have no plans to do my own processing or printing in a darkroom - can be quite costly. So if you plan do a course I would recommend you do some research and find a course that suits your goals with your photography

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12