User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Over Flash

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Over Flash

Was using Pentax K7, Sigma EF-500DG Super flash and Sigma 28-70, f2.8 lens at a sports trophy night. All going well until "over flash" occured in several shots. Don't think I altered any settings. Didn't panic, used pop-up flash quite successfully. Background to 'trophy winners' was a large screen. Tested flash out first thing next morning; AOK ??

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not sure what you are asking us here. Did you want advise on how to fix this flash issue or are you just telling us how you found a way around it?
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Morning Rick;

Was looking for a possible solution to why so much over exposure.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can you post some examples with the EXIF intact? That will help us see what the cause is

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick;

Alas original files were deleted quite promptly...have been usung the external flash quite a bit over recent days, AOK. Now that I am connected to your forum; shall keep any problem items for comment.. Regards
    Richard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Marshall View Post
    Rick;

Alas original files were deleted quite promptly...have been usung the external flash quite a bit over recent days, AOK. Now that I am connected to your forum; shall keep any problem items for comment.. Regards
    Richard
    Normally over-flashed images are the result of the image being too small in the centre of the frame - smaller than the metering circle of TTL flash .
    This is a reason I use TTL-BL , because it is not 'size dependent' and uses distance info from the lens as well .

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd really need to post some images, preferably with EXIF data. It's virtually impossible to determine anything without seeing the result.

Kinda like saying "my computer came up with an error -- what's wrong? I clicked OK and it went away".

If you copped over-exposure, it comes down to the simple fact that your light source was too bright in that set of conditions; ie, it was too close to the subject or it had too much power dialled in. You may have had too wide an aperture for the amount of light emitted.

There are several ways of controlling light intensity, but as above, we need to see what you got...