User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Photos look dull to me......adobe 111sRGB???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Photos look dull to me......adobe 111sRGB???

hi......after taking over 400 pics yesterday, I`m finding nearly all looking dull or underexposed. It was an overcast day and I was using adobe 111sRGB, no exposure compensation and -.7, shooting in aperture mode, both matrix and centre weighted metering. Here`s a couple of examples.....SOOC. Any ideas as to whats off.....

Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by old dog View Post
    hi......after taking over 400 pics yesterday, I`m finding nearly all looking dull or underexposed. It was an overcast day and I was using adobe 111sRGB, no exposure compensation and -.7, shooting in aperture mode, both matrix and centre weighted metering. Here`s a couple of examples.....SOOC. Any ideas as to whats off.....

It was an overcast day and I was using adobe 111sRGB,

Not sure what this is !! If you mean sRGB , They look a little under exposed
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick fix with Shadow/ Highlites , Made a difference I reckon , Love the POV and comp on these
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, co,lours look like they ought to, but underexposed, I also ramp up the saturation on dull days, vivid even

But you do say "no exposure compensation and -.7, shooting in aperture mode, both matrix and centre weighted metering"

no exposure comp , but -.7 which is exp comp ? what is it ?
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Old Dog,
    with this type of photography I find that spot metering is best ~ or even better, if your camera allows exposure bracketing, set the exposure to -/+ 1 ~ this method takes 3 differently exposed shot (which can then be merged ~ BTW ... these photo's are fixable with a small amount of Camera RAW or similar processing, shouldn't take long to do for someone who knows the software :-)
    Renee
    ~~~~~~~~
    "never take life too seriously .... there's too much fun to be had (while you're planning to do sensible things with you life)"
    www.majickstudio.com
    Gear: Canon 5DmkII ~ 24-70 f/2.8 L ~ 70-200 f/2.8 L II ~ Battery-grip ~ Canon Powershot SX20IS ~ CS5 & LR 2 ~ etc. etc.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks William. Yes, in the menu list you can choose 1a...(sRGB) OR 11...(adobe RGB) OR 111a... 111a(sRGB) of which I used the last one. I also forgot to say I used auto white balance and obviously shot in jpeg fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Id stick with sRGB
    Id not use auto - use cloudy if it's cloudy
    I wouldnt use exp bracketing for so many shots in flat conditions, it's not as though you should need to worry about wildly fluctuatting light or highlights

what's with the -.7 though ?

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    what's with the -.7 though ?
    good question... graeme?

its under exposed and i have no idea why. the only hint is what kiwi has quoted.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ving View Post
    good question... graeme?

its under exposed and i have no idea why. the only hint is what kiwi has quoted.
    It's probably under-exposed because the camera metered for the sky and set the exposure so the sky was 18% grey... as it would...
    Craig

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gcflora View Post
    It's probably under-exposed because the camera metered for the sky and set the exposure so the sky was 18% grey... as it would...
    even the sky looks under exposed sire... center weight would have fixed that anyhow. I think there is more to it.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry guys.....I meant that I`d used exp comp on some and not on others.

So thanks William.....I`ve tried the shadow, highlights but seem to get a bit too much noise. Must keep trying at it though.

thanks Renee.....I thought when I looked at the shots that maybe I was metering too much on the sky and it being grey....mistake. Spot metering would have been better now I think about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ur welcome, there is another thing U could use to get around the over exposed sky ~ polarising filters work wonders outdoors .... U've got some Fabulous shots BTW .... WOW !

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks MS......I deliberately didn`t take filters as result of a great thread a couple of days ago about the non use of filters, so I thought I`d do the show without filters and the other thing, I could shoot at higher shutter speeds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other thing I notice is your iso of 100.....I think you'd be much more comfortable changing the default to 400 for this sort of thing, or at least 200.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks Darren.....with the D80, I suppose I`m more comfortable shooting as low an iso as possible so that if I crop (as you would have to at a show like this) you`d get a better result, noise wise. I suppose 200 would have been ok anyway. I`ve learnt some more anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I removed the bluish cast on the runway and grass by playing around with WB and colour balance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The greatest camera in the world is the one you hold in your hands when shit happens." ©2007 Raoul Isidro

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that certainly look different Raoul.....thanks for having a go to improve it. I`ve learnt quite a bit from this thread.