User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: 24-105 Lens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

24-105 Lens

Hello I'm new to this forum. Looking at buying this lens. Any opions. Is there a lot of difference between the L sears and the EF lens I've looked at both (18-135). I'm not a professional would I notice the difference. It's not a mater of money!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a look here: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ad.php?t=52284

The main differences will be overall sharpness, constant aperture, build quality and focus speed. You will notice the focus speed, it is far superior in most of the L lenses.
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also the one absolutely major, critical thing that people seem to overlook is that both of these lenses have a different field of view on a crop sensor camera (every canon except for 1D and 5D series). So really, you cannot compare the two. the 18-135 will gives you an equiv focal length of 28-216mm whereas the 24-105 will give you 38-170. People will tell you that this is fine, but personally I still like having the wider end as well, so if you want a wide angle get the 18-135. If you're planning on upgrading to a full frame body anytime soon, then maybe look into getting the 17-40 L as a relatively cheap L lens that will give you a regular walk around zoom on your body now, and a superwide angle on a 5D later on
    Canon stuff 5Dmk1 w/ 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 5Dmk1 w/70-200f2.8L, 100mm f2.8 macro, 50mm f1.4, 580exII
    Alienbees B800, Lumopro 160, Manfrotto 155XPROB w/ 498RC2, Lowepro ProRunner X450AW
    Phew!

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. I'm buying the new 60D. I'm pretty impressed with the 24-105 and have only heard good things about it. As soon as I get it I will post some pictures. Any comments on the 60D?
    Last edited by rhanesworth; 20-09-2010 at 10:40am.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cannot comment on he 60D but I have the 24-105 and am very happy with it. However I agree with some other posters that on a cropped sensor body you will miss the "wide angle" option. Even on a FF body - like my 5D2 - 24mm has its limitations when you want a wide angle shot. The more so because the 24-105 has a slight barrel distorsion at the lower end which disappears when you get over 35 mm.

On the other hand: the 18 -135 has the same problem... like any zoom lens with a wide focal range.

It will always be a compromise unless you carry a bag ful of primes and are prepared to change lenses all the time...

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You might be right

Thanks for the info. I would rather get the 18-135 but though the L series would be better. I am looking for only one lens a walk around and since I not a professional the 18 to 135 might be a better choice. I do know what you mean about a wide angle again thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recommend the 24-105, constant aperture and weather proofing. I use mine for an all-around lens (including holydays) and I’m very happy with it. Sooner or later you’ll probably switch to a 5D and that’s when you’ll notice the difference.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked out your Flickr site and was impressed. You have a very good eye for framing. Thanks for your take on the 24-105