User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Am I damaging my battries

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I damaging my battries

Would I be right in thinking that camera batteries suffer from the same memory deterioration problems as other rechargeable. Like most cameras mine cuts out when batteries get to a low point so when recharging it is seldom from 100% flat. Am I harming these batteries by emptying them completely like this occasionally?

IMG_0284 (Large).JPG

IMG_0288 (Large).JPG
    Peter
    Canon s3is, 2 x 50Ds, Canon 18-55is, Canon 55-250is, ef 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, Canon Nifty Fifty f/1.8,
    Sigma 70-200 f2.8 ex dg os hsm, Sigma APO 150-500 f5-6.3 dg os hsm
    tripod, monopod, 4 didgeridoo's.
    Two million years of evolution and I'm still a Homo ergaster.
    ttp://www.flickr.com/photos/mustymustang/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This method was used on NiCad batteries that used to develop charge memory but Lithium batteries don't suffer that problem.
    The fastest way to a man's heart is through his chest with a sharp knife
    Canon 50D,
    Tamron 70-200 f/2.8, A very bright light, EF 50 f1.8, Tamron 17-50 f2.8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that is a Lithium battery, then from my readings and experiences with battery suppliers, yes you are. I have been told by more than one battery supplier as well as several tool manufacturers that Lithiums should never be run completely flat as it can damage them.

I would suggest more reading and data is required to be certain.
    Peter.

Some of my photo's are at www.peterking.id.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you completely discharge LiIon batteries they are likely to die a very quick death

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my readings and research Lithium Ion batteries are actually better of being charged more regularly than letting them run right down
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like I'm killing the poor little buggers.This was the first time that I have tried this and will be the last.I know that they wont forever my mobile phone batt (lithium) is just aboot dead after 2yrs service. It's a shame it wont work. It took me hours to rig up that battery drainometer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pjs2 View Post
    It took me hours to rig up that battery drainometer.
    I love the "drainometer"! Magnificent concept. Brilliant!
    Dan

Canon EOS 550D Gripped - Twin Lens Kit - Speedlite 430EX II
    CC and EDITS with info invited. Feed my brain!
    "don't drink from the mainstream"

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Most of them (depending on quality) will lose about 20%-50% of their 'charge-ability' after about 1000 recharges.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day pjs

Luvya drainometer - I made up a similar device years ago for much the same purpose too [funny how things go ain't it ]

The charging & discharging of batteries is a series of chemical reactions that [are useful to us by giving off electricity, but] over time fade in efficiency as the chemicals lose their potency [same as me too]

However, there is another side to battery recharging that you can do something about -
    As you recharge the battery, the internal chemical reactions cause the battery to heat up, then causing an electrical resistance to occur (call it a blockage if you like)
    Your recharger has a light or series of lights indicating the charging in progress &/or when it's finished. If you allow the battery to cool, then plug the recharge in again, you will "top up" the battery

Taking Rick's comment further ... when new you might get a 95% charge, topped up to 100%, but when a year old you might get a 70% charge, topped up to 90% etc etc.

I do this all the time with my rechargeables - I have 1/2-dozen sets of AA rechargeables, (one set is over 10 years old and still going strong) - used in the motorhome for torches, trannies, cameras, flashguns etc etc

Hope this helps
    Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correct, newer battery types work best if they are not run down too far and work best with a "top up" charge.

Paul

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OzzieTraveller View Post
    G'day pjs

Luvya drainometer - I made up a similar device years ago for much the same purpose too [funny how things go ain't it ]
    Great minds think alike or small things amuse small minds either one works for me.

However, there is another side to battery recharging that you can do something about -
    As you recharge the battery, the internal chemical reactions cause the battery to heat up, then causing an electrical resistance to occur (call it a blockage if you like)
    Your recharger has a light or series of lights indicating the charging in progress &/or when it's finished. If you allow the battery to cool, then plug the recharge in again, you will "top up" the battery
    I had found that if you rotate your batteries 1 to 4 and 2 to 3 in the charger as soon as they read as fully charged it seems to top them up a bit more as well. I reacon I will be doing it your way from now on though.

Many thanks to all
    Peter