User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: new E5 announced

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new E5 announced

I know there isn't many Oly users here, but I'm interested to hear peoples opinions of the newly released E5:

Quick Preview and Spec overview here:
    http://www.dpreview.com/previews/OlympusE5/

Main changes from E3:

* New sensor (12MP vs 10MP Live MOS)
    * New TruPic V+ processor (E-3 was TruPic III)
    * Large 3.0" 921k vari-angle screen
    * Fast Sensor AF (inc Face Detection)
    * 720p movie mode (AVI M-JPEG) + Audio recording
    * HDMI and Stereo Mic connections
    * Art Filters (10, including new Dramatic Tone Filter)
    * ISO 6400 top sensitivity (vs E-3's ISO 3200)
    * More customization options
    * Redesigned color-coded menu system
    * New features including Level Gauge in the viewfinder, Multi-exposure, i-Enhance, 7 frame AEB
    * SD / CF slots (E-3 was xD / CF)

Thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay!! - (closet Olympus fan here.... )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like they have put an E-30 into an E-3 body, tweaked it a bit and called it the E-5.

Nice incremental improvement, but not enough to persuade me to ditch my E-3.
    Cheers

Larry
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Canon EOS 6D | EF 24-70mm 1:2.8 L II USM | EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM | EF 100-400 1:4.5-5.6 L IS | Speedlight 600EX-RT
    Olympus OM-D E-M1 | Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mk II | Olympus M.Zuiko DIGITAL 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO | Olympus M.Zuiko DIGITAL 12-100mm f/4 IS PRO | Olympus M.Zuiko DIGITAL 7-14mm f/2.8 PRO | Panasonic LUMIX G Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH | Misc 4/3 lenses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I had an E3 i probably wouldn't look at upgrading, but I don't, so it is definitely an option. It doesn't scream out saying that Olympus are going to continue to pursue 4/3 but it is a step in that direction for the moment. i am now inclined to buy some SHG lenses and look to get one in the future.
    Website - McGoo Photography
    Sean | Olympus E5 | Olympus e620 | Zuiko 7-14 | Zuiko 35-100 SHG | Zuiko 14-54 | Zuiko 70-300 | OM 50mm | Panagor macro converter | CPL filter | FL-50R flash |

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on comparitive overseas pricing, it doesn't seem very good value for money when compared to new cameras like the Nikon D7000. While I would like the weatherproofing (as I do a lot of seascape photography), and would really appreciate the large, hi-res vari-angle LCD, there is too much of a price premium for the E-3/E-5 cameras. I cannot see me going from an E-P1 to an E-5 as it means new lenses so may as well look at a non-Olympus camera.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb666 View Post
    Based on comparitive overseas pricing, it doesn't seem very good value for money when compared to new cameras like the Nikon D7000. While I would like the weatherproofing (as I do a lot of seascape photography), and would really appreciate the large, hi-res vari-angle LCD, there is too much of a price premium for the E-3/E-5 cameras. I cannot see me going from an E-P1 to an E-5 as it means new lenses so may as well look at a non-Olympus camera.
    I haven't seen any Aus dollar prices yet, so I will wait for the dust to settle and the price to stabilize before i eventually venture down the E5 road.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pretty poor upgrade IMO. I don't shoot Olympus but have quite a few friends who do. One has an E3 and he's a bit let down that it's really only minor tweaks here and there. The HD video should be FULL HD, even though it's a bit upgrade from the video-less E3, it's still a bit of a miss when most other pro bodies from the other major brands do full high def video.
    If the AF is better than the E3 then that's good, I have heard very good things about the E3 in this regard. Will have to wait for some reviews though to see what the verdict is
    Canon stuff 5Dmk1 w/ 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 5Dmk1 w/70-200f2.8L, 100mm f2.8 macro, 50mm f1.4, 580exII
    Alienbees B800, Lumopro 160, Manfrotto 155XPROB w/ 498RC2, Lowepro ProRunner X450AW
    Phew!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedEx View Post
    pretty poor upgrade IMO. I don't shoot Olympus but have quite a few friends who do. One has an E3 and he's a bit let down that it's really only minor tweaks here and there. The HD video should be FULL HD, even though it's a bit upgrade from the video-less E3, it's still a bit of a miss when most other pro bodies from the other major brands do full high def video.
    If the AF is better than the E3 then that's good, I have heard very good things about the E3 in this regard. Will have to wait for some reviews though to see what the verdict is
    Personally the hd video is not an issue, I want a camera to take pictures. Your comment about all the other pro bodies having hd made me think - i would be interested to know how many full blown professional photogs have ever used the video when they are on an expensive photo shoot?

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by olympuse620 View Post
    Personally the hd video is not an issue, I want a camera to take pictures. Your comment about all the other pro bodies having hd made me think - i would be interested to know how many full blown professional photogs have ever used the video when they are on an expensive photo shoot?
    Agree. If I wanted to take video, I would buy a dedicated video camera.

The Video mode on every camera I have used over the years has been used once and then discarded. This includes the Olympus E-P1. I spent many years with a cine camera and loved every minute of it. Video as a medium has never excited me - probably because there are too many bad videos floating around. Argh, sit though someone's 3 hour home movie of little Kimmie being fed in a high chair or countless badly exposed out of focus cathederal shots from the last European vacation and you get what I mean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Video isn't an issue for me either - neither of my Canon bodies possess it and I have no desire to use it. However, why even include it if it isn't the best available? I think there is more that could have been done (overall) to the E-5 to make it more competitive. The rumors i've heard from Oly in regards to their whole dSLR lineup is that we'll see a shift away from 4/3's mount to the micro 4/3's cameras. As far as I know the pro E* lineup will remain intact but we may see a reduction in the cheaper bodies