Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Auto ISO Canon vs Nikon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auto ISO Canon vs Nikon

Hello,

I just had a Nikon in my hands a couple of days ago and noticed the great flecibility with auto iso.

I did not have this feature on my 20D but just upgraded to a 40D. I am honestly really disappointed that I cannot set things like minimum shutter speed or the exact range of the auto ISO.

Why does Canon not implement that?
    Do other (newer or pro) canon models have this feature more advanced?

Does anybody know how the camera decides what shutter speed prevents camera shake? (As stated in the manual on page 60) Does it consider focal lengths here?

Auto iso could be such a powerful feature if it would be more customizable….

Anyway would love to hear your story about auto ISO, from both Canon and Nikon users!

Cheers,

Mirc
    Constructive criticism is most welcome!!!

Canon 40D, 100-300 5.6 L
    Sigma 17-70
    Manfrotto Tripod

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think "most" people prefer to set the ISO manually rather then letting the camera decide, early on with my Nikon D40 I had it set to "Auto ISO" and this produced some "interesting" photos

When out taking photos unless the weather / light changes a lot then you normally don't need to change the ISO that much.

Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Auto ISO on the D3/700 is great for getting the desired shutter speed when shooting sports at night or where there is large variance in light say at different ends of a field.

Simply set the max ISO you want the camera to use.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree the Nikon system works well, but i never use it. I always set ISO manually
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find autoiso very useful for all sorts of shooting, including weddings where I know the lighting will be changing from good to bad often. I just choose the creative options of shutter speed and apperture, put on manual, activate autoiso, and presto....Nikon magic
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canon 50D & 7D both have Auto ISO. As with any settings depends on the circumstances of your shoot. Handy to have as an option though on a camera.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    I just choose the creative options of shutter speed and apperture, put on manual, activate autoiso, and presto....Nikon magic
    re: put on Manual...

That's what I hate most about Auto ISO on my Nikon. It's great in A/S modes, but when I flick to Manual mode, I want full manual. Nine out of ten times I switch to M, it's because the camera's meter is not exposing the subject how I want or i want consistent exposures. Having the ISO change automatically based on what the camera thinks is right when in Manual mode is very frustrating to say the least!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    using autoiso isnt really manual though is it, you are still letting the camera decide something.....what's the difference using apperture or shutter priority and fixing the other two variables ?

if you want full manual, go full manual

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been leaving my ISO on auto as I am learning and this all doesn't come naturally to me yet, but think I am going to start making more of an effort and start setting it manually.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1: Auto ISO is not particularly useful.

2: Nevertheless, Nikon do it lots better. Canon don't take it seriously and have never really tried to make it useful. Last time I looked at the Nikon version, it was almost good enough to be something you'd want to use. It may have improved further since then. The Canon version is just one of those pages in the manual you glance at once when the camera is new, shrug, and turn the page, thinking "what's the point of that feature? I'll never use it".
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why dont you think its useful Tony ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    using autoiso isnt really manual though is it, you are still letting the camera decide something.....what's the difference using apperture or shutter priority and fixing the other two variables ?

if you want full manual, go full manual
    agree, what I want though is to be able to use AutoISO in any semi automatic mode (ie. A/S/P) but when i 'turn the dial' to M mode, I want the camera to turn AutoISO off. I don't have time at a wedding to drive through the menus to turn AutoISO on/off everytime I need to flick to Manual mode.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can put in on the quick menu (which is what I have done)....you could even program it to a function button I suppose

But I also use autoiso in A and S mode also, so, wouldnt want it to turn off and therefore change automatically. I hate when machines do that, if I want it on, i'll turn it on, if i want it off, i'll turn it off

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find autoiso very useful for all sorts of shooting, including weddings where I know the lighting will be changing from good to bad often. I just choose the creative options of shutter speed and apperture, put on manual, activate autoiso, and presto....Nikon magic
    What you are doing is essentially elevating ISO to be the equal of aperture and shutter speed - in other words, making a new mode to stand alongside Av (camera decides shutter speed, you decide everything else), and Tv (camera decides aperture, you decide everything else) - call it "Iv" (camera decides ISO, you decide everything else).

And why not? If it works for you in your situation, do it!

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lots of interesting comments here.

I think it could be very very useful if more customizable in Canon...

I repeat my question from the first post, maybe some canon users who use it could answer this question :

Does anybody know how the camera decides what shutter speed prevents camera shake? (As stated in the manual on page 60) Does it consider focal lengths here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that's the appeal to me I suppose

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mircula View Post
    lots of interesting comments here.

I think it could be very very useful if more customizable in Canon...

I repeat my question from the first post, maybe some canon users who use it could answer this question :

Not speaking about anyone else, but I have no idea what you are going on about here

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had it on my nikon d40 and used it quite a bit. all I did was set a minimum shutter speed and max iso (usually 1/160 and 800) and i was set. it worked quite well really

my new d90 is even better with this

as to why canon dont have it... who knows. they just arent as good as nikon i guess

...this said i dont always have it on, in fact i only have it on when the situation dictates that i might need it, but its bloody great

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can put in on the quick menu (which is what I have done)....you could even program it to a function button I suppose
    I tried the quick menu, but takes my eye away from viewfinder. I'm pretty sure i found you can't program it to a function button as that would be a decent compromise for me

I can see why it's of benefit in M mode for some shooters - set A&S to get desired effect and let AutoISO do the rest but it turns "M" into another semi automatic mode where the shooter has little control over the final exposure. Maybe there should be another mode on cameras for autoiso: P / A / S / I / M - that would solve it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, sure, that would solve it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast