Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tokina 50-135

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps it is a bit harsh to suggest DWI is "dishonest" but representing a product as in stock, confirming the product is instock by e-mail, and then after sending the money telling you it is out of stock and back ordered, is a bit ordinary. However to continue to have a website suggesting it is in stock is harder to swallow! Most web sites have automated stock control and will give the actual numbers of items in stock. I appreciate that they did communicate and did refund the money very promptly when the order was cancelled. I would imagine this site is better for popular items. I did secure my Tolina 50-135 from "Japooney" on E-Bay. Despite any language differences he gave excellent instruction and feedback and was absolutely accurate with delivery times, which took about 2 weeks. The item was new as promised and there was not even a dent in the packaging!
    Berni

""The most important piece of camera equipment you will ever own sits between your ears...."

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All that is accepted, it is a big operation and there has obviously been a break-down in their communication system, happens all the time but my point is that, to me, they are entirely trustworthy even though they do hang onto a lot (big $) of peoples money, generally their delivery is very prompt
    Richard
    I've been wrong before!! Happy to have constructive criticism though.Gear used Canon 50D, 7D & 5DMkII plus expensive things hanging off their fronts and of course a "nifty fifty".

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DWI

Thanks Richard, I think readers can be reassured that they are not shysters and can concur on that - given my experience. Interestingly, I also ordered from another Hong Kong purveyor and the same thing happened until I went for the E-bay site I cited. I think we always need to consider how urgently we need teh item, how much advice we need, whether we need to feel and touch first and then decide how and on what basis we interact with purveyors. Hey this is a very good argument for going back to the local dedicated photography store in town!

berni
    Last edited by Bercy; 09-10-2010 at 11:00am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just made my first lens purchase from DWI, when i was looking around on the site, i thought this was an Australian site and all lenses or goods were from here in oz. I was sent an email with confirmation, and a tracking number.

I placed the order late thursday night, So far the the package is in the air travelling to me, expect to get early this week. I cant believe how quick it has been so far.

I was disappointed when i found out it was coming from HK , where i thought it was coming from australia, So i hope there aint no problems.

Thanks
    Canon EOS 50D, Canon 15-85 F3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 70-200 F4L IS USM - Fujifilm finepix s9600,

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Kyle - I hope you have a positive experience with your order. The genesis of this thread was all about obtaining an apparently "hard to get" lens, in my case the Tokina 50-135 (worth the trouble!). The trouble with imported or "grey" goods is that warranty issues may require the return of the item to the place of purchase - not uncommonly at your expense. If the item has an international guarantee then it may be serviced locally, one would hope. Nothing is certain in this world ( I know -except death and taxes), and you can have an overseas merchanidser bend over to see that your happy, and equally can get the door slammed in your face by the local shop. I returned a DVD player to BigW for repair or replacement under warranty, and haven't heard from them since (not withstanding that I could give a rats over that!). So althought the thread is taking a little twist - lets hear of your experience. By the way -what lens?

Chees berni

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have taken a pic with the 50-135 may as a closure. I am not sure how this opens - but its on a wing and pray - I ahve read rick's mini-tutorial first. and if it does not work I will go back to the drawing board!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to add insult to injury, I picked up my Toki 50-135mm for $350 from a bloke in Brissy. It's a pretty rad lens, odd bokeh, but for $350 I'm not going to be too critical of it.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lucky you!! I did a few low light shots of a baby, at F2.8 but the camera tended to front focus. I was using a tripod. Sadly I got some great shots of toes. I take a a lot fo shots of children and I think this won't be the best lens for "chasing". The autofocus isn't quick enough. That said I ahve also had some really good shots, using both manual and autofocus. Not at all fussed by $$$ - good on you for scoring a bargain though- but I would be very interested in progess with this lens.

berni

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12