Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tokina 50-135

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tokina 50-135

I have searched for the Tokina 50-135mm lens (Canon mount) for some time, but it has been elusive. Distributors said it remained in production but would have to be "ordered in" most likely (with a huge mark up!!!). It appears that most of the output is going to Japan/Pentax/? research going into Sony mounts. There are rumours of an IS lens appearing at some stage - but I wonder if this is just hearsay. Because I do a lot informal portrait photography, the range of this lens is perfect and at F2.8 it would be fast enough for low light, with or without IS. I would look at Sigma but it suffers some pretty average feed back from real users.

I do have a Canon 70-200 F4, but is a bit conspicious at times! See what variegate opinions might amass.
    Berni

""The most important piece of camera equipment you will ever own sits between your ears...."

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Bercy

As someone who has enjoyed Tokina lenses over the years - good on you for seeking one out
    However, as my mum always tells me (even tho she's now 91) - if you can't get it, dear, look for something else

No help for you though ....
    Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day again Bercy

Just a follow on from earlier ... ps- don't know how or why the name 'tokina' turned up as red???
    I just googled 'tokina 50-135' and got a hit from DWI, price just under $700
    This any good to you???

Regards, Phil

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DWI is a Hong Kong entity, with some tentacles here in Australia. I did actually e-mail them to confirm that they had stock. They confirmed that they did have stock. I put in my order and paid the full amount. I then waited a while and received an e-mail, which indicated they did not have stock and it was put on back ordered. I waited 6 weeks, just to see what would happen. Obviously nothing! I requested return of funds. They repaid in full a few days later. What is odd however, is that I tracked the web site, and not surprisingly, they kept the offer running and even dropped the price on an idem that obviously does not exist, for all practical purposes. What I suspect is they so purvey items but they sure as hell don't mind holding a few hundreds of thousands of Dollars in a cash flow account!

I have seen prices of up to $2,000 AU for this lens, which is a bit silly. I guess I will wait and see if it reappears - as real item rather than an apparition.

Thanks for the feedback.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Old Skool - I'll give it a shot!

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lucked out.

Who me?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got it, yippeeee...... sorry only joking

couldn't help myself
    Cheers David.

Canon 40D/EF-S 17-85 mm IS/Kenko Extenson Tubes/Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
    Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 /Sigma 70-200/ Sigma 1.4 teleconverter/ some Conkin filters | Adobe Photoshop CS6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day again Bercy

Itz a buga to luck out on something that you're after

Plan-B maybe to chase something else
    A qwik look at the Siggy lens site shows they have an 18-125 and a 50-200 at reasonable prices

Maybe worth a look
    Regards, Phil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sigma also have the 50-150 F2.8 which gets a pretty reasonable review.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Addendum: I think (hope - pray) that I will be getting one from Japan. Can't wait to read the instructions! I agonised over the Sigma but was a bit put off by the front focusing issue and variable build quality. I guess this can happen with any lens.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bercy,
    I hope that the Tokina lives up to your expectations. I wouldn't be so quick to put down Sigma lenses though as all the "focus and build issues " are more internet here say rather than personal experience from actual users.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Tokina 50-135 is worth the extra hassle over the Sigma 50-150 in my opinion, but each to their own ;-)

It is a shame Tokina are getting so hard to get...

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to take this slightly off topic all but ---

Joele, which particular hassles have YOU had with the Sigma 50-150 opposed to the Tokina 50-135?

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks I@M - you're right! If you read the internet long enough you are bound to come across one or two sad sacks that have to complain! Its very easy to forget about the 10,000 happy users who are busy taking pictures rather than grinding their teeth and spitting vitriol about the particular lens they bought. I read somewhere that the most important piece of photographic equipment you have resides between your ears. I like photo magazines and a few years back I read a pictorial which was really good, and then you read the camera specs: Fujifilm disposable camera!!!

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Sorry to take this slightly off topic all but ---

Joele, which particular hassles have YOU had with the Sigma 50-150 opposed to the Tokina 50-135?
    No complaints, I have just tried them both and I prefer the look of the images from the Tokina... Thats why I said "each to their own", it is just a preference thing, which is why it is a shame the Tokina's a rare as many people will never even try them..

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yippee!!!! Box arrived today with a Tokina Canon mount 50-135mm F2.8 lens! My mother in law was in the house so I shot her first. Then I took some pictures in the garden. I didn't have time to put the pictures up in lightroom because I had to go to work (that work stuff always gets in the way). Boy, does this lens feel good! This lens thing can be a bit ononastic, but it does have a terrific feel to it. I did not think the focusing was at all slow. It has been bolted togather extremely well and reeks of quality - I did not get the feeling there was a short cut or two taken. This lens came directly from Japan. I am really happy with this choice and glad I waited!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Bercy

Glad to hear you've got your priorities right ...

"My mother in law was in the house so I shot her first."

I'm sure that the lens will be useful for lots of other things too
    Regards, Phil

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a look at pictures in light room - colours are so accurate! Bokeh is excellent as well. Nice and sharp!

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bercy View Post
    DWI is a Hong Kong entity, with some tentacles here in Australia. I did actually e-mail them to confirm that they had stock. They confirmed that they did have stock. I put in my order and paid the full amount. I then waited a while and received an e-mail, which indicated they did not have stock and it was put on back ordered. I waited 6 weeks, just to see what would happen. Obviously nothing! I requested return of funds. They repaid in full a few days later. What is odd however, is that I tracked the web site, and not surprisingly, they kept the offer running and even dropped the price on an idem that obviously does not exist, for all practical purposes. What I suspect is they so purvey items but they sure as hell don't mind holding a few hundreds of thousands of Dollars in a cash flow account!

I have seen prices of up to $2,000 AU for this lens, which is a bit silly. I guess I will wait and see if it reappears - as real item rather than an apparition.

Thanks for the feedback.

You need to be careful with DWI, they ARE completely honest, I can vouch for that. What one needs to be aware of is that they deal in $US all the time, their web-site in Australia quotes in AU$ so it's necessary to follow the value of our currency VERY closely!

To give you an exaple:- I ordered the Tokina 12-24 Zoom a fair while ago and paid for it via direct deposit, can't remember how much I paid, I got confirmation of the payment from DWI and the following day an email, "out-of-stock....do you wish this placed on back order or your money refunded?" I elected to go with the back-order option and the lens took months and months to arrive which it duly did, when I checked their web-site (DWI) I actually paid about A$70 less for the lens on arrival than their current advertised price at the time. The $A had fallen about four cents in the intervening period, so I got lucky, but they DID give me the option to get out of the deal right from the start.

Lesson:watch that $AU closely and strike when it is high (if you are game enough to try to pick the market)
    Richard
    I've been wrong before!! Happy to have constructive criticism though.Gear used Canon 50D, 7D & 5DMkII plus expensive things hanging off their fronts and of course a "nifty fifty".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast