Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AIPP - new Enthusiast Membership Category

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AIPP - new Enthusiast Membership Category

As there's been some discussion on AIPP membership in the past, I thought this would be of interest to all here on AusPhotography

Message from Peter Myers - Executive Officer of AIPP:

"The new AIPP "Enthusiast" membership category is now officially available. Encourage all your friends and family with an interest in photography to become AIPP "Enthusiasts". This is a great value membership from the AIPP"

http://www.aipp.com.au/aipphome.php?ID=526&cat=Join&A=
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the heads up - looks like good value!
    flickr

C+C welcome and appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good news. I would encourage APers to sign up - the events are certainly worth attending.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am certainly not professional level but working as a photographer (ABN etc) and earning some money (not full time) so can i join as an Enthusiast do you think???
    Jeff - Jeff D Photography
    Canon -
    http://jeffdphoto.ifp3.com/
    www.jeffdphotography.com.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, same applies to me
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is all very sensible and affordable!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffde View Post
    I am certainly not professional level but working as a photographer (ABN etc) and earning some money (not full time) so can i join as an Enthusiast do you think???
    The AIPP also has a membership stream for "Emerging Photographers", i.e. people who are not earning $xK p.a. (see their site for details) but still working as a photographer. Hope that helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's worthwhile, and have now joined

http://www.aipp.com.au/aipphome.php?ID=526&cat=Join&A=

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking at this the otherday.

What would the difference between the Enthusiast and Emerging member catagories be, besides $200+?

Darren if you don't mind me asking which did you sign up for?

Would love to get the feedback of current members
    Cheers, Brad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sighed up as an Enthusiast. I dont think im am emerging FT Professional, now or in the near future but still wanted to participate in AIPP to further my knowledge. There are a few issues that I feel strongly about also.

There is, or was, a time limit to emerging at which point you needed to convert to a full member, and the cost to me was a little much for what I thought I might get out of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    I sighed up as an Enthusiast. I dont think im am emerging FT Professional, now or in the near future but still wanted to participate in AIPP to further my knowledge. There are a few issues that I feel strongly about also.

There is, or was, a time limit to emerging at which point you needed to convert to a full member, and the cost to me was a little much for what I thought I might get out of it.
    No worries, thanks for the info. I might look at the enthusiast membership too, seems like its worthwhile...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think with all these groups (AP included) you get proportionally more out as you put in

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so soo sooooo true

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reasons why I'm considering joining up! Off to check it out
    Sam.
    Kiddy Paparazzi, Wife and Mum of 4. Not always in that order!

Nikon F60 & Nikkor 35-80mm, Nikon D700 & Nikkor 50mm 1.4, 24 - 70 f/2.8G, 105mm micro f/2.8G Nikon SB800 speedlight, Casio Exilim P&S and other assorted paraphernalia that takes up too much room in my study!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a plea to state first.

Please dont shoot the messenger (me) on this occasion.

While discussing the issue of Enthusiast category, Peter Myers Exec Office of AIPP, explained to me something that I (and others) had previously misunderstood.

On this AIPP Link:

http://www.aipp.com.au/aipphome.php?ID=526&cat=Join&A

It states the following:

If you are not a professional photographer, either full time, part time or casual, but you are keen to learn from, and be involved with the AIPP, our special non membership category, "AIPP Enthusiast" is for you.
    So it seems that if you are part time or casual (charge in any way), then Enthusiast Category would not suit you. However I've been informed that Emerging Member would suit those who are precluded from Enthusiast.

The point of the emerging member (which I think that the name is changing by the way) is to cover part time people - there was a time cap on it, but thats been or being removed. The new understanding of the Emerging is to cover (apparently) people in the "part time" position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm an enthusiast but shouldn't be according to the criteria

Oh well, will be interested to see what the emerging member category becomes

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    I'm an enthusiast but shouldn't be according to the criteria

Oh well, will be interested to see what the emerging member category becomes
    This is the Emerging Crtiteria as per the AIPP website:
    Joining Criteria
    If you do not meet the criteria for "full accredited" membership you can join the AIPP as an "Emerging Member".

Emerging membership provided a significant level of benefit for you if you are a photographer not yet ready or able to become a fully accredited member.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious with the enthusiast membership, and looking on the AIPP site, is it just because Im not a member I cannot see much in the way of events happening in NSW?
    Are there many events in NSW? Including trade shows expos and the like, ie SMTPE things like that?

One day I'll take some serious photos, just not today
    Canon 50D | 450D Gripped | 50mm 1.8| 18-55 | 100-300 | Tamron 17-50 f2.8 | 85mm f1.8 | Manfrotto Tripod | Studio Flashies | 430EX | Loads of useless gadgets | All this gear and still no idea.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There has been, and continues to be a series of meetings held for full members regarding the enthusiast membership. A lot of the argument revolves around what is happening from next year including the Continued Development Programme which all full members must undertake. The proposal is for all memberships to have access to these courses seminars etc at a discounted rate, but the argument is that an entusiast can pay $85 p.y. and received the same discount as a full member paying $450 p.y.

There is also a lot of discussion in regards to the diluting of the AIPP brand as such that it stands for Australian Institute of Professional Photography and admitting entusiasts in who do not earn an income from photography may dilute the brand.

Members (not necesarily all) are calling for the AIPP to be educating the public on what it takes to be accredited with the AIPP and therefore increasing brand awareness and attempting to give some creedence to the term professional. Again the argument goes on that allowing enthusiasts may dilute this branding.

There will be a meeting tonight of the NSW State Forum at L&P Digital Photographics at Artarmon 5pm for all Fully accredited members of the AIPP to discuss among other things the issue of "enthusiast subscriber" as the category is presently known. Meetings for the others states will also be held to dicsuss.
    Vince

Space; The Final Frontier

C & C encouraged on all images

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virgal_tracy View Post
    There is also a lot of discussion in regards to the diluting of the AIPP brand as such that it stands for Australian Institute of Professional Photography and admitting enthusiasts in who do not earn an income from photography may dilute the brand.
    Earn a limited/part time income with no view to expanding that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast