User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Selling photoshoot images - Help!!

  1. #1
    Member emma's Avatar
    Join Date
    20 Apr 2010
    Location
    Coffs Harbour, NSW
    Posts
    41
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Selling photoshoot images - Help!!

    Hi all,

    I'm photographing a Deb ball soon and I've given a price and all the copyright stuff etc.

    However they have now come back and asked how much a license is for reselling the pics.

    Can anyone help me with this? Where do I start?

  2. #2
    Moderately Underexposed I @ M's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 May 2007
    Location
    Marlo, Far East Gippsland
    Posts
    4,899
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More info please.

    Who has asked for a price for on selling the images to who
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.



  3. #3
    Member
    Threadstarter
    emma's Avatar
    Join Date
    20 Apr 2010
    Location
    Coffs Harbour, NSW
    Posts
    41
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So have I!!

    I've asked them what their plans are, but I thought in the meantime, whilst I'm waiting on a response, I'd do some research.

    When I get more info, I'll gladly share it!

  4. #4
    Administrator ricktas's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Jun 2007
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    15,436
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How about joining in more on AP. You have been a member since April and come online to get our advice. How about giving something back and doing a few critiques. After all this is a forum and members like others to interact, not just use the site to get answers from occasionally.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

    Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

    RICK
    My Photography

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    26 Jul 2010
    Location
    South
    Posts
    254
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I would deny 'them' the option of accessing the rights to the images. Means you lose quality control over your work, and you'll likely make more money from selling prints and album packages. It also depends on your own skill levels; are you taking pro quality shots, with a degree of consistency between all images in a shoot, and between shoots in general?? If you're an enthusiastic amateur it might not be feasible to handle reorders and all the backend work that goes with managing a proper shoot.
    Canon stuff 5Dmk1 w/ 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 5Dmk1 w/70-200f2.8L, 100mm f2.8 macro, 50mm f1.4, 580exII
    Alienbees B800, Lumopro 160, Manfrotto 155XPROB w/ 498RC2, Lowepro ProRunner X450AW
    Phew!

  6. #6
    Member
    Threadstarter
    emma's Avatar
    Join Date
    20 Apr 2010
    Location
    Coffs Harbour, NSW
    Posts
    41
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. Rick, just so you know, I've always been lurking around the area, however find that I don't have much advice to give to those who ask questions. And, I've also had to go back to full time work, so I haven't been around much on forums at all.

    Interesting attitude...

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    17 Sep 2009
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    822
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Emma, who has the interesting attitude" ?

    I think Rick's point is pretty valid. To be reminded of the concept of what a community forum is pretty reasonable. I've always believed you only get out of life what you put in.

    I can assure you that that approach is fairly common on many forums. You have an opinion, Rick is offering or encouraging you to contribute it,


    Back to your question - if you want some sensible advice/opinion, give us a little more information - ie are you being paid to shoot the ball ? If so are you being paid to provide images, or are you relying on print sales to make the event financially worthwhile.
    William

    www.longshots.com.au

    I am the PhotoWatchDog

  8. #8
    Administrator ricktas's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Jun 2007
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    15,436
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emma View Post
    Thanks for the info. Rick, just so you know, I've always been lurking around the area, however find that I don't have much advice to give to those who ask questions. And, I've also had to go back to full time work, so I haven't been around much on forums at all.

    Interesting attitude...
    My attitude is "give and you will receive".

    So you are shooting Deb photos, but don't have advice to give others who post portraits, seeing you are paid to take portraits. Maybe a critique or two would be appreciated by others, by someone who has your experience as visible on your website.
    Last edited by ricktas; 13-09-2010 at 8:45pm.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    17 Sep 2009
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    822
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Emma, who has the interesting attitude" ?

    I think Rick's point is pretty valid. To be reminded of the concept of what a community forum is pretty reasonable. I've always believed you only get out of life what you put in.

    I can assure you that that approach is fairly common on many forums. You have an opinion, Rick is offering or encouraging you to contribute it,


    Back to your question - if you want some sensible advice/opinion, give us a little more information - ie are you being paid to shoot the ball ? If so are you being paid to provide images, or are you relying on print sales to make the event financially worthwhile.

    I cant understand someone suggesting that "you deny them the option of accessing the images", without knowing that information. If you did deny them the option of accessing the images - what are you meant to show them ?

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    26 Jul 2010
    Location
    South
    Posts
    254
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You misunderstand my post, re read as 'deny them the option of accessing the RIGHTS to the images'. I believe this is totally valid. From the extremely limited information provided, I take the assumption that whoever 'they' are, want access to distribution rights to ALL of the images as a whole. What price should Emma put on losing rights to all the images? That's why I would like to know what skills she has. What we also need to know is how many couples you will be photographing etc. It's a very subjective question

    edit: apologies to Emma, I have now taken the effort to look at your website. So you have skills and are set up to take these sorts of images it would seem. Still need a few q's answered though to give a decent quote

    Quote Originally Posted by Longshots View Post
    I cant understand someone suggesting that "you deny them the option of accessing the images", without knowing that information. If you did deny them the option of accessing the images - what are you meant to show them ?
    Last edited by ZedEx; 13-09-2010 at 8:46pm.

  11. #11
    In Training MarkChap's Avatar
    Join Date
    09 Jan 2008
    Location
    Widgee, Queensland
    Posts
    2,241
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emma View Post
    Hi all,

    I'm photographing a Deb ball soon and I've given a price and all the copyright stuff etc.
    So I think, could be wrong, but this statement here about copyright could have a huge impact on what you are entitled to after the event.

    You say "I've given a price and all the copyright stuff etc"
    Sounds like you have a contract of some sort in place, so who owns the copyright by your agreement with "them" ??
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark


  12. #12
    In Training MarkChap's Avatar
    Join Date
    09 Jan 2008
    Location
    Widgee, Queensland
    Posts
    2,241
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emma View Post
    Thanks for the info. Rick, just so you know, I've always been lurking around the area, however find that I don't have much advice to give to those who ask questions. And, I've also had to go back to full time work, so I haven't been around much on forums at all.

    Interesting attitude...
    You are producing the work evidenced on your website, but don't have much advice to give here.
    That I can not understand, I for one would quite happily accept any feedback from you ??

  13. #13
    Member Lost Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    20 Aug 2010
    Location
    6112
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree MarkChap. Emma, you have qualifications in photojournalism but don't have much advice to give? People on here with no qualifications but much experience give a heap of help to new members like myself. With some more time under my belt I hope to be able to help out too.
    Col
    The day I don't learn anything is the day that I die.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    12 Feb 2008
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    7,831
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give the girl a break. Don't give advise if you don't want to
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Website : http://www.peakactionimages.com
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

  15. #15
    In Training MarkChap's Avatar
    Join Date
    09 Jan 2008
    Location
    Widgee, Queensland
    Posts
    2,241
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair call Darren,

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    03 Dec 2009
    Location
    West Sydney
    Posts
    256
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have nothing to offer in regards to copy right,
    I agree with Darren a & Mark, but looking at your site, love to know how you setup/shot a couple of them

    One day I'll take some serious photos, just not today
    Canon 50D | 450D Gripped | 50mm 1.8| 18-55 | 100-300 | Tamron 17-50 f2.8 | 85mm f1.8 | Manfrotto Tripod | Studio Flashies | 430EX | Loads of useless gadgets | All this gear and still no idea.....

  17. #17
    Member
    Threadstarter
    emma's Avatar
    Join Date
    20 Apr 2010
    Location
    Coffs Harbour, NSW
    Posts
    41
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok all,

    firstly, thankyou for taking the time to read and reply to my question. To give a little more info about it:
    I've set up a contract that allows the deb association to use the images within their advertising, providing they have model releases from the people in each shot, however they do not have the right to resell the images. So we came up with a price for all of this and that was accepted.
    Now, I have received an email back asking me how much the right would be to resell the images. I have asked for more info, but I thought I would post and see if there is a website that someone may know about to get me started in my research.

    Which brings me to the second point about me joining in. What I meant about an interesting attitude was that Rick, you didn't give me a chance. I was locked out of this forum because I hadn't posted in 90 days, which meant that I couldn't even see the critique area. So when I came back to lurk around and try to particpate, there was no other area or posts that I thought I could comment on.

    So I came back wanting to be part of the community and ready to engage with others and help out where I can. This was my first post back so that I could unlock all the other areas. I'm not sure if you noticed or not, however after I posted this, I did actually go and comment on someone elses post and give advice as I felt that I could help them out.

    Back in April, there was no way that I was confident enough to give advice on others shots and I am still asking for critique on my own shots.

    Your comment got to me because Rick, you have no idea about the type of person I am, what I came here for and you never even gave me a chance.

    Thanks again to everyone else - much appreciated.

  18. #18
    Administrator ricktas's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Jun 2007
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    15,436
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emma View Post
    Which brings me to the second point about me joining in. What I meant about an interesting attitude was that Rick, you didn't give me a chance. I was locked out of this forum because I hadn't posted in 90 days, which meant that I couldn't even see the critique area. So when I came back to lurk around and try to particpate, there was no other area or posts that I thought I could comment on.

    So I came back wanting to be part of the community and ready to engage with others and help out where I can. This was my first post back so that I could unlock all the other areas. I'm not sure if you noticed or not, however after I posted this, I did actually go and comment on someone elses post and give advice as I felt that I could help them out.

    Back in April, there was no way that I was confident enough to give advice on others shots and I am still asking for critique on my own shots.

    Your comment got to me because Rick, you have no idea about the type of person I am, what I came here for and you never even gave me a chance.

    Thanks again to everyone else - much appreciated.
    Thanks, but I do not provide Ausphotography for FREE so you can lurk, and get information from members, without participating, which is why the inactive status kicks in. Ausphotography is a FORUM, which by definition, means joining in! Your backhanded go at me with this statement "Thanks again to everyone else - much appreciated", is not a good way to go about endearing yourself to the site owner. You went inactive due to your own inactivity, so I hope you now remain an active member, and give back to the others as well.

  19. #19
    Member
    Threadstarter
    emma's Avatar
    Join Date
    20 Apr 2010
    Location
    Coffs Harbour, NSW
    Posts
    41
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I can understand that Rick. However, what I mean is that when I came back with the intention of being an active member, you post your comment, basically telling me to go and post elsewhere before you will help me.

    And I don't join a forum so I can endear myself to the site owner.

  20. #20
    Administrator ricktas's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Jun 2007
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    15,436
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have had my say, you understand what we like members to do, here on Ausphotography, now it is in your hands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •