Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Hair in my Lens?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hair in my Lens?

Greetings,

Not sure if this is posted in the right place???

However, I just purchased a Tamron 28-75 F2.8 on gumtree and I have just noticed that it has a hair inside the lens????

It does not seem to effect pics but I am wondering what the process is to get it removed?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to AP. Hope we get to see some of your photos soon. As for the lens, find a good camera clinic in your area and get it cleaned professionally.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes they just fall out on their own accord.. whether the hair(or dust spot) has just got tired of clinging onto a slippery shiny surface(such as glass) for so long, or whether the lens just got tired of transporting the hair/dust particle to all these exotic locations!! ... the end result is that most largish dust type particles eventually fall. Fine dust particles will be harder to remove as the static charge they seem to have is stronger than gravity, or other external forces. Haze is impossible to remove without disassembling the lens and manually cleaning the glass elements.. and not only is it difficult, the damned gunk seems to breed if you don't take reasonable care of the lens, and just leave it out uncovered and exposed to the elements.

Note too! this is a zoom lens, and not rated to be weather proof. The zoom action quite audibly produces a light quiet sounding whoosh sound from the gap between main barrel and extending inner tube as you zoom the lens. Air gets pushed into and out of this gap between the two barrel tubes as you zoom. Where there is air, there is dust. A fact of life.

Note, I once had a similar sounding hair like particle on the inside of my Nikon 105VR lens, which looks for all the world to be environmentally sealed.. but this small hair like thingy was definitely on the inside of the lens. Then one day it wasn't!!

As Rick said, find a good camera repairer and ask how much to clean it.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies! Well seeing as I really do like this lens over my Sigma 24-70 maybe I should just get it cleaned.

Now, the other issues is the cost of getting it professionally cleaned? Any ideas how much that would run me?

It doesn't effect any pics but I am afraid it might move and eventually it will?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once found a hair in my "soup". I just called the Waiter and the problem was fixed imediately. Hope this is of some help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hair inside a used lens means it has been opened up and had some fixings. The lab technician didn't wear a head gear, much like a chef or a surgeon. They should.
    Hair inside a brand new lens should be immediately returned for a full refund or replacement.
    Roll the lens gently a few times in your bed. (matress, not hardwood..)
    The centrifugal force will force the hair into the side walls of the cylinder and hopefully it stays there permanently.
    "The greatest camera in the world is the one you hold in your hands when shit happens." ©2007 Raoul Isidro