Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 24-105 L - good choice ????

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Mike.

For my liking, an ultra-wide lens is essential for landscapes, but it's worth remembering that even telephoto lenses are used in landscape images.

I like a wide vista, and the ability to get close to a foreground subject of interest and make it larger than life due to the inherent perspective distortion an ultra-wide focal length provides.

Certainly explore your landscape photography with your 17-50, and if you're finding that the framing isn't wide enough to suit your style or preference, then it's time to look into an ultra-wide lens.

It can be all too easy to load up on gear to preemptively solve problems before they're actually problems, so give your photography a go with what you have, and with a bit of experience under your belt you'll be in a better position to determine if an ultra-wide lens is what you want and/or need.

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    Hey Mike.

For my liking, an ultra-wide lens is essential for landscapes, but it's worth remembering that even telephoto lenses are used in landscape images.

I like a wide vista, and the ability to get close to a foreground subject of interest and make it larger than life due to the inherent perspective distortion an ultra-wide focal length provides.

Certainly explore your landscape photography with your 17-50, and if you're finding that the framing isn't wide enough to suit your style or preference, then it's time to look into an ultra-wide lens.

It can be all too easy to load up on gear to preemptively solve problems before they're actually problems, so give your photography a go with what you have, and with a bit of experience under your belt you'll be in a better position to determine if an ultra-wide lens is what you want and/or need.
    Sound advise - I think I will run with your suggestion. Mybe I got a little emotional when I had that 24-105 in my hands :-).

Thanks,

Mike
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just been looking at your flickr site and the Collection by Gear is very interesting, some really fantastic and inspiring shots too.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikew09 View Post
    Just been looking at your flickr site and the Collection by Gear is very interesting, some really fantastic and inspiring shots too.
    Thanks Mike!

Yes, I do have a lens or two. :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love using the EF-S 10-22mm USM because of it's wide landscapes but often find it quite difficult to use around 10-12mm with distortion and capturing my own shadow, but really like that lens.
    This lens is really sharp and if you used this along side the 24-105 you would be able to cover all bases with good glass
    Steve

Equipment: A couple of Canons with some lenses and a heap of enthusiasm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I'm going somewhere and only want to take one camera and lens, it'll be the 24-105, on the 7d is not wide, but if I need to get a landscape shot I'll just flip it into portrait and take a pano, where if I take it out on the 5d it's usually wide enough to take a single landscape shot, and if I want more in the frame, I'll also flip it and take a pano.
    Jayde

Honest CC whether good or bad, is much appreciated.
    Love and enjoy photography, but won't be giving up my day job.

Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe this will help CLICKY HERE
    Cheers,
    Chris.

MY

Canon EOS 7D w grip | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Canon 580EX II speedlight | Cokin ND Grad system

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

24-105mm

It's quite a nice lens. Very sharp and very good quality. I use FF though.

I previously used the Sigma 10-20mm 4.5 on the 40d and found it to be very sharp. If your looking at doing a lot of landscape etc, this range is for you. Bang for buck it gives the Canon 10-22 a good run for its money. The Sigma has a HSM EX version for crop bodies now too @ 3.5!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An excellent lens although I only use it for a walk around lens or if I am on a trip and don`t want to carry too many lenses nice and sharp and the image stabilizer function is very handy at times but I do use it on a FF.
    Mike
    Canon 5DmkII, Canon 1DmkIIN, EF 24-105 f4LIS, EF 70-200 f2.8LIS, EF 135 f2L,EF 300 f4LIS, EF 17-40 f4L, EF 100 f2.8 Macro USM, Sigma 50 f1.4 EXDG, 580EX & 420EX,Cokin P filters.
    Tamrac Ultra Pro 17 bag,Lowpro Toploader 75AW,Lowpro Outback 200 belt pack,Black Rapid RS-5 and R-3,Aperture 3,Elements 8.
    Wacom Intuos 4 tablet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used my sister's 24-105 and find it to be an excellent lens (talked her into buying it so we could share). Find it extremely useful in large group portraits and good at work functions.
    Canon 40D, 350D, 17-55 F2.8 IS, 70-200 F2.8 L IS, 100-400 F4.5-5.6 L IS, 580EX, 420EX and other gadgets that take my fancy.

CC's are always welcomed and appreciated, otherwise how will I know what I'm doing wrong....

You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great thread.

I was looking at this lens as a purchase before I move on to a new body (currently 1000D).

I was going to use this as a travel/ general lens with a tele lens (after using this for a while to see what/ if any zoom I would like) in the future and then I would look at some wide angle lens after a new body.

So I guess I'm thinking of this as my first foray into a $$ lens. It would actually be worth more than my camera lol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12