User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to calibrate dell u2311h? for photo editing?

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...the U2311H is still capable of offering you decent colour accuracy, colour temp and gamma out of the box.... " as this is the reason i purchased it, it had pretty good reviews. .
    hopefully when sending a job to print , it will be as it should be.

thanks, i simply want to improve the monitor to its best capacity, at least the colorimeter is going to be consistent.
    Last edited by three123; 13-09-2010 at 7:50pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a couple of ultrasharp 24" Dells, and they are great, but like my Eizos they consistently "move" away from their previous calibration settings. Its sometimes a very small shift, but noticeable when you compare before and after calibration.

There is one issue which appears to be a standard issue with Dells, and that is they suffer a little from being too bright and it often takes a bit of tweaking to reduce that brightness. Once thats been done, IMHO they're sensationally good value for money.
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also was told window lighting is not suitable, to work in a room with flouro lighting?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by three123 View Post
    I am a graphic designer, usually use indesign, illustrator and photoshop use.
    and then:

Quote Originally Posted by three123 View Post
    also was told window lighting is not suitable, to work in a room with flouro lighting?
    I decided not to ask this with your first question, but if you're a graphic designer, didn't you get taught about the right equipment to use and how best to set up your work environment?

as for the second question, controlled light is better because window light can vary in intensity/colour during the day. Some hardware calibrators (including the color munki that i have) can take into consideration ambient light when calibrating a screen

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks, but i dont usually work from home...just starting now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by campo View Post
    and then:

I decided not to ask this with your first question, but if you're a graphic designer, didn't you get taught about the right equipment to use and how best to set up your work environment?

as for the second question, controlled light is better because window light can vary in intensity/colour during the day. Some hardware calibrators (including the color munki that i have) can take into consideration ambient light when calibrating a screen

Quite surprisingly Campo, the answer to that is a very scary No.

I took on a part time teaching post at the begining of this year, teaching photography and graphic design students from Cert 4 to degree level. Very worrying to discover that out of the 70 or so macs and laptops in use in the college - not ONE was calibrated, and there was nothing in the curriculum to give or educate the information required about colour management, and basic monitor calibration.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try going to the TFT central database and downloading and installing the ICC profile for the dell U 2311H.
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm
    Also read this.
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2311h.htm

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all above. clear succinct and informative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to have 2 of the U2311s for editing, but since moved to the more advanced Adobe RGB capable Ultrasharps.

I had always used the Color Munki for calibrating it.

My tips are always set it to 120 luminance/lux, not to calibrate for room ambience. Set it to D65 white balance, and then adjust brightness and contrast to match according to the calibrator when it tells you to do so. This will give you the most accurate results possible with the panel.
    Commercial/Editorial/Wedding work - www.jackietranphoto.com
    Travel Photography - www.wanderingasianguy.com

Broncolor lights up my world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a real minefield this calibrating of monitors , and the main question I have about it is are all the calibrating devices ( spyder / munki etc) calibrating to the same standard ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pentax K-5iis, DA* 50-135 IF SDM | Sigma 18-125 3.5-5.6 | Sigma 70-210 4-5.6 |Sigma 28-80 3.5-5.6 Macro |Pentax-FA 28-80 3.5-4.7 |Pentax A 50 1.7 |Pentax DA 12-24 | Pentax DAL 55-300|Sigma 28-300 3.5-6.3 and other stuff

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by milesy View Post
    It's a real minefield this calibrating of monitors , and the main question I have about it is are all the calibrating devices ( spyder / munki etc) calibrating to the same standard ??

In theory they are calibrating to a set standard.

There are international standards for colours and printing. Most commercial printers will readily advise you through either information on their web site or a direct enquiry as to the standard that their printing machines are set to. They will also readily tell you that they check and calibrate their machines on a very regular basis, sometimes a daily schedule.

If you want to read a heap of the technical jargon behind it all start absorbing some stuff at --- http://www.color.org/abouticc.xalter

From what I have observed over time is that if you have a good quality screen, a calibration device and a reliable commercial printer who provides consistent output you should not have any problems.

Quality monitors are becoming cheaper and more accessible. Computers, their graphics cards and associated calibrators are very accurate. Regular utilisation of the calibrator by you should result in consistent and accurate reproduction every time an image is printed.

There have only been a small number of times, <5, that I have been unhappy with the colours in a print that has been done by a commercial printer. Three of those times it was my fault for not seeing a colour cast on the monitor that showed up when the image was printed at a large size, one time it was the printers fault that they immediately rectified with a re print and another time it was another print company that supplied a finished image that in no way matched what appeared on the monitor. In that case they refused to admit that it was their fault even when shown that the image had been printed "correctly" by another company several times. Needles to say, that last company doesn't get any of our business these days ----
    Last edited by I @ M; 23-01-2014 at 7:38am.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks i@m I was trying to find out what standards they do test to and wasn't able to actually find out what they were testing to ( such as maybe Pantone ) ... What you say makes sense though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12