Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Pro Magazines

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pro Magazines

What does everyone read (or not read)? Where else do you get good info to assist you running your business?

I find the two Oz pro mags Capture and ProPhoto to be full of adds and of limited usefulness (to me). I find PhotoPro Magazine from the UK to be the most consistent in useful info and a good read. I like British Journal of Photography too.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i get the same ones from time to time but now have limited what i get to what articles they have and if its something Im interested in, I agree with UK ones they seem to have a heap of good content, theres are couple of newer (could be new not sure) aussie ones that have a little aussie flag in the top left corner that seem good, ones photoshop and digital photo both seem to have not bad info and also some good tutorials.

One day I'll take some serious photos, just not today
    Canon 50D | 450D Gripped | 50mm 1.8| 18-55 | 100-300 | Tamron 17-50 f2.8 | 85mm f1.8 | Manfrotto Tripod | Studio Flashies | 430EX | Loads of useless gadgets | All this gear and still no idea.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good magazines (in general) have gone the way of the dodo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DSLR User frommthe UK - Magazines are still great - Can't (or don't want to) surf the web some places...
    Jeff - Jeff D Photography
    Canon -
    http://jeffdphoto.ifp3.com/
    www.jeffdphotography.com.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best mag for me - is BIPP's The Photographer - a BIPP member only mag though.

Other than that I rarely have time to read mags, and tend to source what info I need or want from the net.
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
    Good magazines (in general) have gone the way of the dodo.
    +1

If you want info then the net is your best bet but it can be difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff. There are squillions of wanna-be's telling you everything there is to know and many are certainly worth listening too, some not so much. I’ve noticed that generally (but there are always exceptions) the loudest voices are those wanting or needing to be heard and they are usually the guy/girls trying to ‘make it’. The net is excellent free advertising. Those that have ‘made it’ generally (but there are always exceptions) have no reason to shout any more, and are usually too busy working anyway. There are lots of good pro's with blogs and what not sharing all kinds of info too (Chase Jarvis comes to mind but there are plenty of others too, depending on your field of interest). I used to buy photography magazines years ago, for info, but I just don't bother any more.

Magazines, generally, make their money from advertising within the magazine. Look at the extraordinarily low sale price of some high volume magazines (not photo mags), some around $1.95! The more popular the magazine (the higher the circulation) the higher the advertising rates they can charge. As much as the magazines do try to appeal to punters they are often at the mercy of the advertisers, some much more so than others with a relatively high 'advertorial' content, and most times they seem behind the times in the info they do have. Sure some times there may be a great article on a huge 'tog that might make an issue worth buying (like Dan Winters in PDN) but in the scheme of things almost all the info is really on the net these days, not the magazines. Unfortunately most magazines have a cookie cutter approach too so you tend to see the same (but different) articles year after year. It gets boring.

PDN is worthing having a look at.

JJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to prefer the British mag`s ,British journal of photography,Photo Pro and practical photography, but I will read most others if they have an interesting article.
    Mike
    Canon 5DmkII, Canon 1DmkIIN, EF 24-105 f4LIS, EF 70-200 f2.8LIS, EF 135 f2L,EF 300 f4LIS, EF 17-40 f4L, EF 100 f2.8 Macro USM, Sigma 50 f1.4 EXDG, 580EX & 420EX,Cokin P filters.
    Tamrac Ultra Pro 17 bag,Lowpro Toploader 75AW,Lowpro Outback 200 belt pack,Black Rapid RS-5 and R-3,Aperture 3,Elements 8.
    Wacom Intuos 4 tablet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that the nets a great source, but it gets really uncomfy taking the laptop to the "reading room" nothing like a good mag for that

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rangefinder magazine and national geographic are two great magazines, but they are not the "10 tips to take better landscapes" type magazines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Digital SLR Photography out of the UK. Probably aimed at beginners (like me) but also gives you some good examples of photos to try - which I do - and I find it is helping me to get better. Was buying the mag on a regular basis so have just started subscribing to it.