User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Taking Photo's + Settings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Taking Photo's + Settings

I am currently doing a photography course today and the best advice I learnt today was there a couple of points you need to look at when taking photo's.

Put the camera on the A setting on camera (Nikon)

1) Set ISO (Start at 100)
    2) Set Aperture

Once they are set the camera will set the Shutter Speed, depending on what you are taking a photo of, you may have to either change the ISO or Aperture to get the right Shutter Speed.

Aperture means- Iris of the eye - Controls the Volume of Light
    ISO means - Sensitivity to Light
    Shutter Speed means - Time of Exposure (Length of time)
    with these 3 you will get the Correct Exposure.

RAW - Requires Post Processing, Large File and Large Dynamic Range
    JPEG - All processed and is squeezed down and info will be lost, small file and less colour.

Depth of Field
    Aperture
    Focal length - (size of zoom) Bigger zoom less Depth of Field
    Distance from Subject
    F 4.5 is Shallow DOF
    F22 is Large DOF

This is some of the stuff I have learnt, I hope it helps people new to photography.

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Jodster

Nice to hear from you about your course
    As I'm one of those people who stands up the front of a group of students, it's nice to see the results of such [a colleague's] endeavours

At the moment I am runing a weekend workshop here in Emerald, Qld. Cameras range from slip-in-the-pocket P&S jobs to dSLR twin-lens kit jobs & lots in between. The questions from the students are all different and make it a wonderful experience ... so I hope you save up a few curly-questions for your instructor as well

Funnily enough - the classroom-experience goes both ways. Many is the time when I am asked something out-of-left-field - so I have to research it to find the answer, &/or someone asks me about the use of something in a manner I had not thought of previously - so I am always learning as well

So, good on you for doing it all - and keep us all advised of the things you discover
    Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for sharing.......i am trying to learn how to get the best use out of my camera but as yet haven't had the dollars to do a course (hopefully down the track i will) but it's always nice to read what others are learning and you will also find heaps of help on here both throughout the general forum and also from the new to photography section looking forward to seeing your photo's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool (but set the iso on 400, not 100 that extra 4x shutter speed sure is handy with minimal, if any, loss of quality due to any additional noise)
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe have a look at the New to Photography forum and the Learning Plan.

I think it's already covered
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Certainly a timely reminder. The New To Photography forum here on AP, breaks each of those down into 'bite sized' chunks and gives you an understanding of aperture/ISO/Shutter speed, how they work and how they affect the photo you take. So pop over to the NTP and get some more information to backup what you have learnt. And if you feel the need, try some of the NTP challenges to explore how the settings work in the real world, of taking photos.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

D750 Shines
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RAW - Requires Post Processing, Large File and Large Dynamic Range
    JPEG - All processed and is squeezed down and info will be lost, small file and less colour.

I find that when I transfer Raw files to PS or LR I find that the saturation and colour are stuck out and faded(Mine you I do increase Saturation through the camera setting before taking the shots)

cheers

Nikon D750,D500,Z6,Coolpix P7700
    Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED VR, Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 VR, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Tokina 100mm f/2.8, Tamron 60mm f/2 , Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC Di, Nikon Z 24-70mm f/4
    FTZ adapator
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art