User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: buying new equipment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

buying new equipment

looking to buy a new camera, where is the cheapest place to buy gear in brisbane or online.

ps. im not sure if i just posted this up and it got deleted or i didn't post it up. if it got deleted i already know not to place ads or that i cant access the classifieds section yet but im sure the question above is not breaking those rules as im simply asking which shop will i get the best deal at, and not trading using this forum as a means.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D-d photographic
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, looks like D-D-Photography's cheapest.

I'm looking to get a 7D myself in a month or so...maybe with the 18-200mm lens deal. DDP is selling for $2,499. Photo Continental is offering $2,849, but I'm wondering if they'll price-match/beat. I remember getting some VIP card years ago - not sure whether that means anything.

Out of topic, but also interested in the Canon 50mm f1.4, but then wondering whether I should then get the 50 and something else instead of the 18-200. Wait and see I guess...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    www.shopbot.com.au and let that site search out the cheapest. Remember that cheapest does not necessarily correlate to good customer service and if you go cheap online, you might find if there is an issue with the order, you do not get any..service that is.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try DWI as well ...
    Hi Im Darren

www.darrengrayphotography.com

SONY A850 (FF)] + GRIP | SONY A350 (APS-C) + GRIP | SONY NEX-5 +16 2.8 + 18-55 E-MOUNT LENSES | CZ 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-75 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 | 2 x 42AMs | 24" imac | LR | CS4 | + loads of other junk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can try at a shop 1st, see if you like it and if you do, then go buy it online, and get the better price.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by matilda View Post
    you can try at a shop 1st, see if you like it and if you do, then go buy it online, and get the better price.
    That's not really the best attitude, if we all did that there would be no shops to try it at. I hunt around online for the best price, then exclude the places that have no shop front as they have no overheads, then I visit all my local shops to see their prices and how good the service is. Then I see if they can match my best price from the Web and mostly they will. Being in Tassie provided they get close I will still buy from them even if it's a little more because I prefer to support local businesses where I can and I realize they do not have the volume of sales that say a Melbourne shop might have, so their margin may be smaller. I try and restrict Web purchases to items not carried locally or where the price differential is to significant to ignore.
    Just my two bobs worth - jb
    My Goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbee View Post
    That's not really the best attitude, if we all did that there would be no shops to try it at. I hunt around online for the best price, then exclude the places that have no shop front as they have no overheads, then I visit all my local shops to see their prices and how good the service is.
    you got way more time on your hands than I do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try Camerapro in Queen st Brisbane (on the 6th floor )- also online www.camerapro.net.au. I recently bought a Nikon 70-300 and a Manfrotto 190 tripod and they had the best prices for any shopfront establishment. I prefer to buy from a shopfront- if anything goes wrong you can deal face to face with a real person.
    Also you can try bargaining - Myer matched the lowest price in town at the time ($1600) for my Nikon D90 and 18-108 lens when their listed price was $400 more

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mile View Post
    looking to buy a new camera, where is the cheapest place to buy gear in brisbane or online.

ps. im not sure if i just posted this up and it got deleted or i didn't post it up. if it got deleted i already know not to place ads or that i cant access the classifieds section yet but im sure the question above is not breaking those rules as im simply asking which shop will i get the best deal at, and not trading using this forum as a means.
    I just bought a Epson V700 scanner yesterday from Photo-continental and was happy to find out that they were prepared to price match an internet order price from melbourne + postage
    which meant I got it at the best price in Australia and could pick it up and have the safety of local warranty if anything goes wrong.

Richie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    * edited - members with under 50 posts cannot place posts on AP that purely promote commercial companies/sites : refer to site rules : admin *
    Last edited by ricktas; 13-09-2010 at 7:26am.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that James hetfield in your avatar?

I forgot about the expo until i just read it then, im only 10 mins away too.

well i was going to check out and ask about the quality for the 550d as every time i hold it it seems more plasticy than the older 450d. is it just as good does anyone know.

also what is the difference in quality between the 550d, kiss x4 and rebel as the kiss x4 seems to be a little cheaper new but when i rang up to ask about them they told me they are all made in the same factory and are of same quality but sent to different countries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming you will be buying a Canon and you want to buy brand new...

Buying online USUALLY (but not necessary) will be cheaper. But warranty can be headache. Camera body will NOT be under international warranty, only the lenses are. Some as other accessories. So check carefully.

I initially bought my 500D with 18-55 IS + 16GM Scandisk 16GB SDHC card + 3 extended Canon years warranty = $1199. (Brisbane) And it was suppose to be a damn good value.

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just bought my Nikon D90 thru DD Electronics, the singapore store of DD Photographics. Highly recommend either one, the service and delivery is superb!

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    www.shopbot.com.au and let that site search out the cheapest. Remember that cheapest does not necessarily correlate to good customer service and if you go cheap online, you might find if there is an issue with the order, you do not get any..service that is.
    this is what I did, but I didnt go for the cheapest... its important to read store reviews!