User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: 7d questions

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

7d questions

My firmware on this camera is 1.2.2 - is this the latest update. From what I have searched I think it is.

One problem I am having - is trying to get the focus point to illuminate red in the viewfinder when shooting - at the moment I only have black outline of focus points. Can someone direct me how to get this to happen. I have been reading my manual and googling and I am unable to get it to happen.

Appreciate you help - thanks

Shelley
    (constructive criticism welcome)

www.shelleypearsonphotography.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like you have set your focus mode to AI Servo or AI Focus. If you change it back to One Shot focus you will always get the in focus point lighting up red. You never get the red box in AI servo, and only in certain circumstances in AI Focus (when the camera thinks one shot focus is the best approach, I think)

Cheers Pupmeister

PS also check that your lens has not been to set to manual focus, I can say how many times I have cursed Canon, Sigma and anything else related to photography before sheepishly realising I flipped the switch from AF to MF by accident.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pupmeister View Post
    It sounds like you have set your focus mode to AI Servo or AI Focus. If you change it back to One Shot focus you will always get the in focus point lighting up red. You never get the red box in AI servo, and only in certain circumstances in AI Focus (when the camera thinks one shot focus is the best approach, I think)

Cheers Pupmeister

PS also check that your lens has not been to set to manual focus, I can say how many times I have cursed Canon, Sigma and anything else related to photography before sheepishly realising I flipped the switch from AF to MF by accident.
    No, my lens is not set to MF (easily done for sure). On the 50d in AI servo the red focus point is illuminated in the viewfinder when I am shooting. So, are you saying in the 7d it doesn't have this feature? I cannot get it at all to illuminate.

Ausphotography Regular wideangle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try shooting in a dark area, like the inside the house and you should see them light up. Check out the manual as it says something about in bright outdoor areas the red indicators won't light up. Well they do, but very hard to see.
    please ask before PP my images

"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans"

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, latest firmware version for 7D is 1.2.2
    My 7D focus point flashes red when focus is achieved in One Shot and AI Focus but not in AI Servo.
    Cliff
    CC always appreciated
    gear: 7D, 400D, 17-55mm IS, 100mm Macro L IS, 70-300mm DO IS, EF 12II and EF 25II Extension Tubes, 580 EX II Speedlite, Printers - Pro9500 Mk II, MX396
    Tokina 11-16 f2.8, Tamron 18-270, Vanguard AltaPro 263AT Tripod with GH-100 Pistol Grip Ball Head, Benro C-058 Tripod and J-1 Ballhead, Velbon Ultrastick 50LX Monopod
    LR5, PS CC

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pupmeister View Post
    You never get the red box in AI servo, and only in certain circumstances in AI Focus (when the camera thinks one shot focus is the best approach, I think)
    You were right - as I checked it as suggested by Wideangle.

Quote Originally Posted by wideangle View Post
    Try shooting in a dark area, like the inside the house and you should see them light up. Check out the manual as it says something about in bright outdoor areas the red indicators won't light up. Well they do, but very hard to see.
    Thank you, Wideangle, I did that and war la - I saw my focus points. In AI Servo they did not come up - I like the red illumination in my viewfinder - but I will adjust I guess - as I do BIF a lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AIUI if you use AI servo AF or MF then it only highlights when AF starts, rather than indicating focus lock. Do you mean you can't get a red focus point on one-shot AF?
    Last edited by SnowA; 07-09-2010 at 10:01pm.
    SA

Canon 7D | Canon 30D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L (non-IS) | 580EX II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had to double check - I think it should be CFIII-8 'VF display illumination', set to Enable.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowA View Post
    AIUI if you use AI servo AF or MF then it only highlights when AF starts, rather than indicating focus lock. Do you mean you can't get a red focus point on one-shot AF?
    I could not see the red illumination in AI Servo, One-shot etc., but when I went into a dark area as suggested by Wideangle I did see it in One-shot. In AI Servo I did not see at all.

On the 50d I can see it all the time no matter what the AF modes is, I rechecked on my 50d.

Funny, as I cannot see the AF point in the viewfinder illuminated in daylight.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowA View Post
    Had to double check - I think it should be CFIII-8 'VF display illumination', set to Enable.
    Thank you - I did do that. I am sussing everything out and I am loving this camera now.