User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: My first dSLR coming, Canon 350D :)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first dSLR coming, Canon 350D :)

I found it on ebay and it's on its way, my first digital SLR, a used Canon 350D with 18-55 kit lens. I am quite excited, after using a point and shoot for almost a year now to learn what I can from it.

So, the next step will be slowly saving for the appropriate lenses, and this is where I need some advice. From what I've heard, that 18-55mm kit lens isn't much good, so I should probably aim to replace that. I also notice that many kit lenses come in the ummm longer variety (my terminology is not up to scratch, sorry) - such as up to 200mm.

So I'm not sure what I'll actually be needing, and which will be the most appropriate lenses. I would like to do portraits. I am also very interested in macro photography. I have found myself doing some photos that I guess you might call landscape style. What I would ideally like to do is keep the actual number of lenses to a minimum so that I'm not constantly switching lenses while out and about - if this is possible I would greatly appreciate advice on how to achieve this. I don't really want to sell myself short on the different types of photography I have open to me, if possible.

Also, I'm guessing that even when buying lenses such as Sigma or Tamron it is best not to cheap out and go for the cheapest Sigma or Tamron, etc. Is this correct? I'm just assuming it is because of the "you get what you pay for" rule.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated, and if I can further clarify my needs please ask so that I can get much needed guidance on this. Yaaaay I'm excited!

Thanks
    Last edited by enigma82; 06-09-2010 at 8:39pm.