Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Sunny 16

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sunny 16

Hi All,

Just purchased a Mamiya RB 67 Pro S as my start into medium format photography!!

very excited to play around with it when i get in about 5 or so days.

Though it is fully manual exposure, just wondering if someone can help me with estimating proper exposure?

As i understand exposure, i should use the sunny 16 rule, which is,

100 iso at f16 is 1/100 (or 1/125)

then if it becomes slightly overcast it would turn out to be...

100 iso at f11 at 1/200 (or 1/250)

overcast would be

100 iso at f8 at 1/400 (or 1/500)

would this be right or am i completely left field?

regards,
    Tim
    Canon 7D, 550D, 1N HS, EOS 88, 17-55 2.8, 18-200mm, 10-22mm, 28mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.4, 28-105
    Canon AE-1, 50mm, Nikon FM2(n), 50mm, 24-70mm, Tamron 300mm
    Mamiya RB 67 Pro-S 90mm C, 180mm C
    Mamiya M645 1000s, 35mm C, 80mm C, 150mm C, 210 mm C
    430EX II, Benro Tripod and Monopod
    and a bunch of toy cameras!
    -Tim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sunny 16 is a good starting rule, but it is quite flawed when u take into account a host of variables when it comes to exposures and composition etc

do you have a DSLR? use that to meter, and adjust the RB to that, its quite accurate from my experience of doing the same if I dont have a light meter

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Learning Centre: Appendix C - Camera Metering (measuring light) & Sunny 16 rule

Is a must read for a starter. Contains a chart in post 3 of the thread to help you
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Guys,

thanks for the info!

i did think about taking around my dslr and metering off that and changing settings as accordingly though i'd prefer if i was able to estimating exposure by myself.

in saying that i will most likely meter with my dslr the first few times i take it out, and then hopefully i get to a point where i can estimate it with out metering with the dslr!

Has anyone heard of this particular camera before? or had any experience with it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might like to have a look here as well for some info on estimating exposure. I've found this method/reference chart quite handy.
    The world is an AMAZING place . . .
    flickr :: panoramio

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mitgonk View Post
    Hi Guys,

thanks for the info!

i did think about taking around my dslr and metering off that and changing settings as accordingly though i'd prefer if i was able to estimating exposure by myself.

in saying that i will most likely meter with my dslr the first few times i take it out, and then hopefully i get to a point where i can estimate it with out metering with the dslr!

Has anyone heard of this particular camera before? or had any experience with it?
    Yes, Mitgonk. Congratulations on a good choice and join my club. I used a P+S on M setting as a bit of a lightmeter for iffy situations, using it as a spot meter, zooming in on areas, etc. But then I got a digital spotmeter - much better and lighter.

What lenses, backs, accys have you got? I find myself almost always using a 50mm lens when I go out with it. I've got a heap of others, but I just like wide angle views. I also have a metered prism, for which I paid about $300 many yrs ago. I think I used it about 3 times then gave up, because it weighed a ton in itself.
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i heard the metered prisims were just added bulk, and the best way to go would be a light metre!

i just (an hour or two ago) received my Mamiya RB 67 Pro S!

it's got a 120 back with the 90mm C lens! i've heard great things about the 50mm, but i think i'll get the exposure estimating down pat before i start building up the collection! i think a spare 120 back would be the next thing to get!

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite right about the prism. The 90 mm lens is the "wider" of the two standard offerings, the other a 127mm. A 2nd back sure is useful. I also have two polaroid backs - now I use Fuji print film, but it fits. Be careful with the darkslide that comes with the backs. If it's a bit bent/warped/wavy, it can cause light leakage. Am.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just finished my first roll of 120 on the rb67! man that's a fun camera! was down the beach on the weekend, nice bright sun, was using the sunny 16 rule, then checking my dslr for confirmation- it was pretty much spot on!