User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The difference of cheap and expensive cameras?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The difference of cheap and expensive cameras?

As it says in my sig, I have a Canon 1000D... I've been wondering lately what the huge difference between my entry level DSLR and say, a 40D is.

I've got a friend who owns a 40D, and he treats it like a point and shoot. Not trying to sound up myself or anything, but I do obviously get better shots than him. I've just been wondering, what is the difference besides features? Will my camera have worse colours? Worse image quality? Worse sharpness?

If I swapped cameras with him for a day, would my photos be very different? (not taking lenses into account)
    George

Canon 50D - Canon EF 50mm – F1.8 MK II, Canon EF-S 10-22mm, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro, Canon EF 400mm f/5.6 L USM
    ---------------------------------------------
    Canon 1000D - Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS
    My DeviantART
    My Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends, more high end camera usually have better sensors, greater dynamic range, better af systems and better noise

I still think it's mostly camera person, then lens, then body
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser DAdeGroot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main differences (from memory) between the 40D and 1000D, is that the 40D has two extra focus points (9 instead of 7) and the 40D has better build quality and is a larger camera (thus better ergonomics for people with larger hands).

Picture quality wise, the 40D may have slightly less noise at higher ISOs.
    Dave

http://www.degrootphotography.com.au/
    Canon EOS 1D MkIV | Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM | Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L & some non-L lenses.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This all sounds good to me. I don't use high ISO much, I have small hands and I can live with 2 less focus points

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any modern DSLR can deliver great results.
    More is dependant on your lenses than the camera body in that regard.
    Good fast glass makes a BIG difference.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Any modern DSLR can deliver great results.
    More is dependant on your lenses than the camera body in that regard.
    Good fast glass makes a BIG difference.
    Hopefully I'm going to get some nice results with the 10-22 I'm about to buy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do not underestimate the difference in cameras in focusing abilities between the 40D and 1000D, it is not just the extra two focusing points but also the speed at which it focuses on your selected points. I went from a 450D to a 7D and my keeper rate when shooting high speed action is now phenomenal (while using the same lenses).

However in my opinion the person behind the camera is still the most important element in getting the shot, then the lens and finally in a distant third comes the camera body.

Cheers
    Stephen

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pupmeister View Post
    Do not underestimate the difference in cameras in focusing abilities between the 40D and 1000D, it is not just the extra two focusing points but also the speed at which it focuses on your selected points. I went from a 450D to a 7D and my keeper rate when shooting high speed action is now phenomenal (while using the same lenses).

However in my opinion the person behind the camera is still the most important element in getting the shot, then the lens and finally in a distant third comes the camera body.

Cheers
    Stephen
    That is something to note and keep in mind.
    Although, I'm very rarely needing to focus quickly .etc as I'm almost always shooting landscapes so at this point, I see no need for a new body for what I'm doing

Thanks everyone for throwing in your 2¢ Helpful as usual

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pupmeister View Post

Cheers
    Stephen
    I'm similar. Just gone from a 350D to a 7D but also better lenses. Mostly I do high speed sport in the right season but right now doing everything else.
    Extremely happier with the results from the 7D.
    Peter.

Some of my photo's are at www.peterking.id.au

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Weather sealed, faster AF (as mentioned). High ISO is not the only way to introduce noise, long exposures also do. But agree that the photographer is the most important part. We often see members wanting to upgrade to take 'better' photos. When what really needs to happen is the member themselves needs to upgrade their skills, not gear.

I know a person who has about $50K of camera gear (Canon) but never takes it off Auto and his photos could have been taken with a $200.00 point and shoot. He loves to get his pelican cases out and show people all his gear, but I have yet to see a photo I would say was good. In fact, the only time I have seen him use the camera is when he gets all the gear out to show people what he as got. He so far has refused to even consider joining AP, cause he is to busy to take photos Don't get caught up in the gear-head gang, learn how to make your camera work for you, push it to its limits, and when you find your photos are being let down by gear, then is the time to upgrade.

Learn how to use your existing gear to its limits, ask here on AP, about upgrades (like you did in this thread), and you will upgrade when needed and with confidence.
    Last edited by ricktas; 28-04-2010 at 9:29am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day George

After 40+ yrs of SLR use, I no longer use one ~ my preference entirely ~ as I motorhome travel Oz for 6-8 months each year, so size, space & weight is very important to me

My pany FZ-30 "superzoom" does me quite well, although sometimes I get results that are less than perfect, and sometimes it can't do things that other dSLRs can do easily

To mis-quote what others have said above - "tis not the hardware ... it's the software" ~ it's the skill of the player, not the clubs or racquet or running shoes that makes the difference

Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was going to state all the above but wont bother now...

mostly it comes down to the user. you are obviously a better photographer than your mate.
    I have a lowly nikon d40 and i can quite honestly say i am not ashamed of my photos. its not just the camera, its the person behind it.

...that said my d40 only does 2-3 fps in 3 shot bursts in raw mode...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kiwi is right, operator, lens then body.
    All the above is also true re. focus, processing, noise at high iso etc.

However, I stepped up from a nikon D50 to a D90 and found the more buttons on the the outside, the less menu searching on the inside = easier to use = more time taking photos.

my 2 cents worth.
    Just clowning around

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    buy a pro body which has no Auto mode and u wont be classified as an Auto mode shooter!!!!!

hahaha jk

Ausphotography Regular Jeanette's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    I know a person who has about $50K of camera gear (Canon) but never takes it off Auto and his photos could have been taken with a $200.00 point and shoot. He loves to get his pelican cases out and show people all his gear, but I have yet to see a photo I would say was good. In fact, the only time I have seen him use the camera is when he gets all the gear out to show people what he as got. He so far has refused to even consider joining AP, cause he is to busy to take photos Don't get caught up in the gear-head gang, learn how to make your camera work for you, push it to its limits, and when you find your photos are being let down by gear, then is the time to upgrade.

Learn how to use your existing gear to its limits, ask here on AP, about upgrades (like you did in this thread), and you will upgrade when needed and with confidence.
    oh Kym this is too funny ... i know a few people like this with other issues in their lives..
    so lovely to hear many of you say it is about the person and making your camera work and learning about the photography... I still am so proud of many of my point and shoot cannon photos as i rarely used auto and used what i had to the limit.. (of course wishing for a new one) but I am glad i am doing it this way not like the above mentioned
    but of course love my new DSLR

happy snapping
    Last edited by Jeanette; 28-04-2010 at 7:57pm.

Constructive Critique and editing of my images is welcome and appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better body/lens might make it easier to take better photos in difficult conditions.

Good filters are something that can enhance your images quite a bit though.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't get caught up being a gear head, the photographer is much more important

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    theres a girl at uni who has a 7D all we hear is how great the camera is, her work well would be in the worst 10% in the whole school.

My girlfriend uses my camera in class, other than that she shoots on a 15 year old film camera, her work would be in the top 10% in the whole school.

We also have a teacher who has given up all cameras other than his iphone, his work is amazing.

Cameras mean shit, lenses mean a little something but its the photographer that does the work.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Higher end camera may gives you more flexibility and allow you to do more especially in low light and may deliver better image quality.

However a bad photo with good image quality is still a bad photo.

The key is know when, where and how to take a good photo, and a camera won't help you much with this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dowden photography View Post

We also have a teacher who has given up all cameras other than his iphone, his work is amazing.
    Please .... that could be the most ridiculous thing ive read on here in a while. Whilst I agree with you that the photographers skills are absolutely the most important factor in good photography, to suggest an iphone camera will produce the quality of a high resolution DSLR is ludicrous mate.

I dont doubt the work hes producing from his iphone is impressive, but I highly doubt the images themselves would compare with that a skilled photographer using a DSLR of any kind.

To the OP ... what kiwi said ^^^^ 1. togs skills 2. lens 3. body , as a general rule.
    Hi Im Darren

www.darrengrayphotography.com

SONY A850 (FF)] + GRIP | SONY A350 (APS-C) + GRIP | SONY NEX-5 +16 2.8 + 18-55 E-MOUNT LENSES | CZ 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-75 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 | 2 x 42AMs | 24" imac | LR | CS4 | + loads of other junk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast