Thread: Telephone scammers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Telephone scammers

Just received a phone call and let my answering machine pick it up...I then heard a voice saying 'Hello...Helllloooo!'...As I was at the other end of the house, I picked
    up the phone as I couldn't distinguish the voice and thought it must have been my son due to the casual 'Hello's' being yelled into the phone...When I answered, a man with an
    accent asked for me by name...So I replied with 'Who is this?'...The response I got was 'This is the maintenance department of your windows computer'....
    I quickly advised that I wasn't interested in scams and hung up...Are these people for real??? There is no way this guy was legit as he didn't give me his name nor the
    name of any company...Just wondering if anyone else has received similar calls?
    flickr

C+C welcome and appreciated

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No it's NOT legit. This is a well known overseas scam. Just hang up.

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it's a scam. You did the right thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh that just sounds like some fun to be had…
    As a Computer geek I’d have fun playing with the tool at the other end of the phone for a while
    Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape.
    What man is a man who does not make the world better.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FALCONLORD View Post
    As a Computer geek I’d have fun playing with the tool at the other end of the phone for a while
    Yeah!

Learn just a few of the very basic Linux/Unix principles of computing(such as device nomenclature and so forth, and have a play with his mind.

" ... yeah, I got Windows7 Ultimate and it's causing me troubles. It says dev/hda is not formatted, and it recommends I format in ext3 .... Oh!, and it appears a GNOME has infected my Windows computer.. this is good that you called me now, I really need some help. "

I have no idea what that means, and it'll probably confuse him as well.

tell 'ya what tho!! ... I'd trade all the infuriating junk mail I get(per hour) for a scam phone call a day!

And why is it that snails eat regular mail(to the point where I can't read the amount required for paying the bill in full!), but not the more voluminous junk mail quality paper?? Surely all that silky shiny high quality smoothness is much better for the digestive tracts of the common garden variety snail!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, I got one of those calls a few months back.......lucky I didn`t go along for the ride.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i am the maintenance man for my windows computer so no worries here

scammers are everywhere!

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They've got a ruddy hide! I picked one up by accident like that and strung him along for a while before telling him I didn't HAVE any Windows computers.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did think after I hung up that I should have had a bit of fun with him, but I was so peeved that I couldn't get off the phone from him quick enough!!

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "oh youre my windows computer maintenance guy! cool! can you hold for jsut a moment...."

puts phone down and walks away for 30 mins...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't realise my windows had a computer, I normally open them manually like with my own hands.
    NO your computer with windows on it.
    My computer doesn't have windows, it's just a normal screen.
    Hangs up...LOL
    Currently using;
    Nikon D850

Lotsa other bits.

western suburbs of melbourne as of 13/5/2010
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had one of these calls when we first moved down to melb, in fact it was the day after the phone was connected and about an hr after the net was connected, i answered and he said that microsoft had just rang them to ask if they can contact me to help rectifi the problem apparently a huge virus had got onto my comp, i asked how he got my number and he said that microsoft had givin it to him, WRONG answer and i hung up..... thought about it later and should have turned around to him and said sorry we only have linux machines in this household...
    Canon 50d - 300d backup - 28/135mm IS usm - 50mm 1.8 - ettl flash - Assortmant of other stuff I hardly use
    I think a photography class should be a requirement in all educational programs because it makes you see the world rather than just look at it. ~Author Unknown

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    To be frank, if people fall for this stuff, then they deserve to! Seriously, for how many years now have we been warned about all sorts of scams, yet people still even fall the Nigerian $25M lotto ones. If they are that dumb, they deserve to get caught out.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    To be frank, if people fall for this stuff, then they deserve to! Seriously, for how many years now have we been warned about all sorts of scams, yet people still even fall the Nigerian $25M lotto ones. If they are that dumb, they deserve to get caught out.
    If I had a dollar for every time somebody asked me about things like this and if they were real I would not have to work any more

I guess the "smart" thing about this scam is that 90% + of home computers would be running Windows and some / most people are too dumb to think that something like this sounds suspect and should not be trusted. People always have and always will fall for scams like this, I have had a case at my work where somebody was called and started to install the software but as they don't have admin rights they couldn't install anything

Paul

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just had a phone call from scammers wanting information on my computer..
    I let the indian bloke named Brook ramble on about how to use computer management, and can I see certain files in there
    I had him going for about 5 minutes, not touching anything on the computer. My son and I were having a great laugh as he waffled on.
    I had to stop at some stage, so as he was getting to the interesting bit. I said "Well brook, I am having this call traced, and I have enough information now to call the police. You are in the sh1t"
    He then hung up (Don't know why)
    The phone number on my phone states; 0256 199300. Just ask for Brook

The company he said was "Windows Support"
    Last edited by geoffsta; 25-07-2011 at 8:44pm.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffsta View Post
    I just had a phone call from scammers wanting information on my computer..
    I let the indian bloke named Brook ramble on about how to use computer management, and can I see certain files in there
    I had him going for about 5 minutes, not touching anything on the computer. My son and I were having a great laugh as he waffled on.
    I had to stop at some stage, so as he was getting to the interesting bit. I said "Well brook, I am having this call traced, and I have enough information now to call the police. You are in the sh1t"
    He then hung up (Don't know why)
    The phone number on my phone states; 0256 199300. Just ask for Brook

The company he said was "Windows Support"
    I did this too! I let the guy go on for ages, just giggling to myself. When he took a breath, I told him that the conversation had been recorded by the police and he hung up.

They tried it on my Gran, who doesn't even have a computer.
    Last edited by BecdS; 29-07-2011 at 8:28pm.

I very much welcome and appreciate your feedback and constructive criticism!

If you would like to edit any image I post here, please feel free to do so! I would love to see what you can come up with and learn your method.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haaa...I like that approach. Must try it next time as the buggers call at least twice a week. I tell them their mothers would be ashamed of what they are doing then hang up.

Who me?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a timely reminder, brook called my 2 nights ago, he had the cheek to call back after I hung up so I kept him on the line for about 15 minutes before he realised he was going around in circles and hung up. I feel so sorry for the elderly who fall for this scam
    Cheers David.

Canon 40D/EF-S 17-85 mm IS/Kenko Extenson Tubes/Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
    Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 /Sigma 70-200/ Sigma 1.4 teleconverter/ some Conkin filters | Adobe Photoshop CS6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same call about 7 weeks ago, the caller was a male and I just simply hung up. Fast forward 3 weeks later answer phone a long pause, thought it was my daughter calling from over seas so I stayed on the line and the a female voice goes... Hi mam I am not trying to sell you anything so please don't hang up. Ha I thought, let the games begin, as soon as she asked do you have windows,my reply was yes I have many after about 10-15 mins of leading her up the garden path she says We need to rid your windows of a nasty virus, and I just replied oh you are to kind but I will just clean my window with some disinfectant that should kill the virus and by the way this called is being traced right back to you and she hung up very quickly.
    Cheers Debra
    Canon 50D l G11 l Sigma 17-70 l Sigma 70-200 l Sigma 10-20 l Canon 50mm 1.8 ll l
    Canon 60mm macro l Canon 100mm Macro lS l Canon 17- 85 l Canon 24-105mm l Speedlight 580 EX ll + other bits n pieces
    ||Tamron 18-270mm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My home phone is on purely for the net. Anytime it rings, it's got to be a telemarketer, as I don't even know the number!

I like to answer it with "Bartles underground Airport, Chief of the watch speaking"

It's amazing how quickly they hang up, I'm yet to get one to talk to me.
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast