Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gift of "Mature Age" Pentax Gear::::

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gift of "Mature Age" Pentax Gear::::

My landlord was searching one of his recently bought properties, when he found a case of camera gear. He was about to bin it when he recalled that I'm into cameras a bit, and as he said to me later, "...there might be something in it you can have a play around with - if not, toss it out - it's no use to me...."

Firstly, there's a mid-size padded secure-latch leatherette case, about 1960s style, in very good condition, with adjustable shoulder-strap. It will hold a modern DSLR and several lenses-etc...

Inside was an Asahi Pentax "Spotmatic F" camera. A little dusty on the outside - from the front the inside and mirror seem clean.... I had to Google a manual to find out how to open the back - but once open, the film load area also looks clean. As it's the first Spotmatic F I've seen, I'm not at all sure how it "should" look...

Mounted on this device was a (screw-mount) SMC Takumar 1:1.8/55 prime - marked 7936705 Asahi Opt. Co. Japan. On the front was a no apparent ID clear class protector, with clip-on cap. This lens looks clean-clear, the Aperture ring snicks around positively, and the Focus ring is lightly firm and moves smoothly. From Googling - this is a pretty common lens of that era, but was of reasonable functions.

The Takumar also has 2 x 49mm filters in a snap-case - an Orange "Vinson Coated G" and a Yellow "Vinson Coated K2".

There was also an Adaptall Tamron 80-210mm 1:3.8 1:4 / 210 CF Tele Macro BBAR MC in a tubular hard case. Externally it's very clean, and all controls are firm/smooth. However, there's a small amount of fungus visible. As this lens is common and not very expensive these days, it's probably not worth trying to get cleaned. The very nice case might be worth more than the lens....

The Tamron has a 58mm Hoya / Japan "Skylight (1B)" protector filter, and a Hoya / Japan 58mm "PL" filter. (It also has both original lens-caps)

Hmmm.... Wondering - can I use that linear polariser for crossover effects with my 58mm Hoya CPL....?

There's an APS Auto Teleplus 2x Teleconverter marked "Lens made in Japan" - this was in a plastic snap-pack and is clear - looks unused. It has both original caps. Might this be usable for Pentax K-X / K-R, with the Pentax adaptor - or even for Hobby purposes would the IQ be too dreadful?

Any Comments or Advice on these devices are welcomed....

Regards, Dave.

Spammer - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The SMC Takumar 55/1.8 should be a gem. I have a K55/1.8 which is of similar design and it gives beautiful images.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check the light seals, put some film it it and start shooting!

The Pentax forum is a great resource on your camera and lenses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good score Dave - particularly the Super Tak! Have fun.
    D800 Nikon 70-200 VR II, Nikon 105 2.8, Nikon 24-120 f4,
    Sigma 85mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Sigma 35mm 1.4 DG HSM

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, All, for those Replies - I'm still working out what to do with my "new Treasures"...!

Obviously - Pentax gear, screwmount or conventional - works better if you have a nice Pentax DSLR to put it on, something I'm lacking, so far... Yes, most remiss of me, indeed! Saving for things can take a while if you're on a limited fixed income.

I have a friend in Denver (Colorado), who's had a K-X for nearly a year, and at first loved it, then more recently he had the chance to buy a low-use K20D at an attractive price - and since has been singing its praises - particularly the many more external buttons-dials-controls it has - that the K-X, being entry-level, doesn't.

I'd been aiming towards a K-X, and lately, getting interested in its upgrade, the K-R. So far, the K-R isn't being described too well, but there should be more information quite soon. Perhaps it will have more external controls - from my friend's "user descriptions" of the K-X, it's a great little camera - but the user spends "as much time as with a P&S diving through layers of Menus to make often-changed adustments" - compared with most of those often-changed things having external controls on the K20D.

There's another factor here - I've had a Canon SX10 for over a year, and "love-it" - for a P&S the IQ of its Superfine, not very compressed files - 8-9MB files are quite large for a 10Mpix P&S's JPEGs - is pretty good.

More recently I bought a Fuji HS10 - for the things the SX10 doesn't do - 10fps (actually 13.5fps with the 1.02 firmware update) - at its full 10Mpix, RAW (to get some practise processing those), and both Full and Std HD Video - of which the "Std" - 1280 x 720, seems to be better quality. Which is fine with me - we convert its H264/MOV to PAL DVD MPEG2 anyway.

What the HS10 also has, is more external buttons, dials and controls than any other P&S I've seen - rather more, at a Dozen or so - than most entry-level DSLRs. In fact, at a "quick glance" the HS10's back, with its row of buttons down the left side of the LCD - looks a bit like a K20D.... Until you look a bit more closely, that is - the HS10 only has 1 Control dial, alongside the Modes dial, so on!

But it emphasises heavily the descriptions from my American friend - you do very rapidly get used to ISO - Photometry - AF-Mode - Focusing - WB - Exposure-Comp - Continuous Shooting, so on, all being button/control-dial controlled.

So it has me thinking again (can be dangerous, in my case... ) - I won't have the money untill well after the K-R is released, anyway... Or, is a used - maybe with a 90-day Shop Warranty - K20D, as good a possibility as my friend assures me?

The K20D is a much higher level device than entry-level - is it just "too much camera" for a DSLR beginner - stick with the idea of the K-R...?

Regards, Dave.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Also check for fungus in the lenses, and if there is any, do NOT let this gear anywhere near your own camera gear.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    WARNING : Members with under 50 posts and 30 days membership are not allowed to buy/sell/trade gear on Ausphotography. I have already removed two posts offering to buy some of this gear. If anyone uses the site at all to try and breach this site rule, you will be banned, either temporarily or permanently!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as the K20D (which is what I use) I would not say it is too much for a beginner - it has all the features you will need, plus you can use it in full auto mode, or aperture priority etc until you get comfortable with experimenting with manual (very easy with the green button)
    The only thing it lacks (if you need it) is a video mode.
    Having said that, don't discount your current camera - the main thing a DSLR will enable you to do that you can't do at present is change different lenses.

I would wait until Pentax release their two new cameras, and you should then be able to pick up a bargain from people trying to off load their now 'redundant' cameras!

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ricktas - Thanks for the fungus warning! I'd already isolated the Tamron in a plastic bag until I can find out if it's worth getting a cleaning quote on it.

As for "trying to sell" any of it - I certainly did read the Rules, however, so far I have no ideas on selling any of it, anyway - I'm still after advice on what the items actually are, and if they're usable with adaptors nowadays, so on.

Once I do know "what's which and how" - which will take some time - if by then I qualify to offer something for sale, I'll do so in the appropriate place, as per the Rules.

And as for those 'interested' in any of the items - kindly hold off, as Rick says - until I can access the Sales area here... None of it is "going anywhere" until at least then...!

MattC - That's appreciated advice, thank-you. But I'm rather hoping that a DSLR will do quite a bit more than just have changeable lenses - over the 3 Bridge Zooms (S2000HD, SX10 and HS10) I have now...

I certainly don't need Video mode in the DSLR I do buy - the Fuji HS10 has both 1920 x 1080 and 1280 x 720, plus VGA - all H264/MOV - quite okay to keep me amused with hobby-videos for a while yet.

Regards, Dave.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by exwintech View Post

As for "trying to sell" any of it - I certainly did read the Rules, however, so far I have no ideas on selling any of it, anyway - I'm still after advice on what the items actually are, and if they're usable with adaptors nowadays, so on.

Sure, but be aware that if this thread does mean members try to offer to buy the items, I will remove the thread from the site.
    Last edited by ricktas; 02-09-2010 at 2:40pm.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick - I was excited about getting the things - so wanted to find out what I could about them.

In the original post I asked for Comments or Advice. I wasn't "making offers" or asking for offers. The post isn't in a "For Sale" section - which I couldn't access anyway...

If I wanted to sell anything on a Forum (and I have never sold anything on any Camera, Linux, or other Forum I belong to) - I'd put it as an Advert or Offer in the Forum's "For Sale" Section.

Sadly, the mention of the items I was given, has caused problems for the Administrator, and therefore I sincerely regret having mentioned the event and items.

I apologise for any problems caused, and if it would be better if the thread was closed or removed, I would understand, and would never mention the event or items again.

Dave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Sure, but be aware that if this thread does mean members try to offer to buy the items, I will remove the thread from the site.
    Hardly the fault of the OP though is it?

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MattC - Please, I don't want this accursed thread to cause more trouble. Apparently by mentioning things I was given, and asking questions about them, looks to some readers like a "sales offer". No such thing was intended - just some help and explanations from what's been a very friendly and helpful Forum to a new arrival.

Now I wish I'd never mentioned the darned things!

Dave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The majority of older pentax lenses can be used on the dslr........the backward compatibility(?SP) is great. If they are the scew on type there is an adaptor ( chinese knock off or genuine ) The 55mm should be a decent lens. I suggest sticking the lot out in the sun to try and kill any mold spore.
    cheers
    Jan

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattC View Post
    Hardly the fault of the OP though is it?
    No it is not, which is why I placed the warning Matt. If the OP had asked for members to offer amounts etc, it would have been removed straight away. Whether you like my action or not, is irrelevant, I am here, amongst other things to uphold the site rules. The OP just wanted comments and views on the gear he was given, thus the thread stays for that purpose.

So Matt, how about adding something to the thread about the gear..eh...seeing you are a pentax shooter, surely you have something positive to contribute?
    Last edited by ricktas; 03-09-2010 at 8:01am.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick - Thanks for explaining that - I thought I was getting into serious trouble while still on probation...

And yes, if anyone has any information on the screw-mount lenses - I know where to get the adaptor here in Aus - C.R. Kennedy imports it - that would be most welcome. Such lenses seem to be a good resource, particularly for the low-income.

That Tamron 80-210mm with the bit of fungus can apparently be serviced, cleaned and calibrated, by a local shop nearby in Ashfield. Approximately $50-100.00, they said on the phone, but take it in for a quote. My version is the 03A, not the later 103A.

While these lenses are 'nothing special' for standard images, apparently their Macro ability (can also use the 2.0x TC for that) is quite adequate.

Regards, Dave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    No it is not, which is why I placed the warning Matt. If the OP had asked for members to offer amounts etc, it would have been removed straight away. Whether you like my action or not, is irrelevant, I am here, amongst other things to uphold the site rules. The OP just wanted comments and views on the gear he was given, thus the thread stays for that purpose.

So Matt, how about adding something to the thread about the gear..eh...seeing you are a pentax shooter, surely you have something positive to contribute?
    Rick - I am not having a go at you, or the way you are upholding the rules - I just think it would be unfair if you closed a legitimate thread due to other people actions, which are out of the control of the O.P. - delete the offending replies, sure, but don't penalise the OP, that's all I was saying.
    As far as contributing something positive, well reading my second reply (and to a lesser degree my first reply) I thought I did :

Quote Originally Posted by exwintech View Post
    Rick - Thanks for explaining that - I thought I was getting into serious trouble while still on probation...

And yes, if anyone has any information on the screw-mount lenses - I know where to get the adaptor here in Aus - C.R. Kennedy imports it - that would be most welcome. Such lenses seem to be a good resource, particularly for the low-income.

That Tamron 80-210mm with the bit of fungus can apparently be serviced, cleaned and calibrated, by a local shop nearby in Ashfield. Approximately $50-100.00, they said on the phone, but take it in for a quote. My version is the 03A, not the later 103A.

While these lenses are 'nothing special' for standard images, apparently their Macro ability (can also use the 2.0x TC for that) is quite adequate.

Regards, Dave.
    Dave - as far as the fungus, it is not something that I am personally overly paranoid about - it may have something to do with living in Adelaide, with it's low humidity, but with all the old lenses I have acquired, only one (a M28 f2.8) had signs of fungus - I put it outside in the sun for a few hours (in the hope of the UV killing it), and have been using it ever since. It has not affected picture quality, and has not infected my other lenses.

With the screw mount adaptor, it would certainly pay to get a genuine pentax one - there are stories about ebay versions getting stuck, and apparently you can loose infinity focus. You shouldn't be paying much more than $50 for a genuine one - although I have heard of people being quoted of up to $100

Cheers,

Matt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally agree with Mattc on the screwmount. I've got one and infinity is not just gone, it's lost it's gps and found itself again in mexico.
    Mine's a fleabay knockoff, and has no electronic communication with the body. This means that there is no automatic setting available for aperture and when in use stopped down the blades remain in effectively reducing the ammount of light visible through the viewfinder. This makes macro's incredibly difficult.
    Also it makes it impossible for PTTL flash to work and the wireless mode is disabled (again, nasty for macro's) That said, my 2 favourite lenses for portraits is my 55 mm f2 and my 100mm f2.8 - both screwmounts.

I've read somewhere that if you take to your fleabay adaptors with a belt sander and thin out the backing you can regain infinity focus again, but that's un substanciated
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matt - I'm indeed grateful for any advice going, thanks. Where you are there might not be much humidity, but I'm in Sydney, which is rather sticky-humid for part of the year. That lens was stored in Sydney - and has fungus, which could be a bit of a 'heads-up' in itself!

While I don't have any "very expensive" gear to ruin - the things I do have are valuable to me. Rick's better safe than sorry style warning on fungus, is, I think, well worth heeding. If I'm to keep that lens, getting it serviced and cleaned, before it gets anywhere near my coming new DSLR, seems wisest.

Rattus79 - Yes, what you're saying about the El-Cheapo screwmount adaptors verifies what I've seen on another Pentax related forum - the horror-stories about infinity and aperture - and was it "metering"?

It seems that if I'm going to learn how to use the screw-mount lenses properly - maybe get more, as they suit a limited budget - I might as well get the genuine Pentax adaptor, to take advantage of whatever control functions those lenses do have.

You mention a screwmount 55mm f/2 as being good for portraits. I'm wondering just how usable that SMC (does that mean "coated" lens?) Takumar 1.8/55 would be for that? While it isn't at all "wide", I'd been thinking it might be usable for scenes, using a tripod.

Any ideas on that would be useful, thanks.

Regards, Dave.

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Dave

I am pleased to hear your enthusiasm for this donation of "good ole Pentax clobber".
    Several thousand years ago - way back in the 60s, I cut my SLR teeth with the Pentax screw thread cameras & lenses ... both Takumar & Tamron had an awsome reputation for being good image quality [IQ] lenses

I would join others above and suggest that you buy yourself 1/2 dozen rolls of C41 colour neg stuff and have a shooting spree - using all the lenses, TC & all. Don't worry about the fungus issue at this stage - just go out and use the stuff.

With respect to using any of these lenses on a new Px body, my thoughts are "no - I wouldn't" ... you seem to be a new-to-SLR user. If you were more experienced with Manual camera operations, you would find it quite easy, but as an experiment - I'm not sure. Also, while the lenses are good lenses, they are only novelty items nowadays - today's lens systems have moved on since the '60s & '70s

If you wish to discuss the workings of the spotmatic some more, PM me and I am happy to revisit down memory lane

Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast