Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Camera Gear in Hong Kong

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Camera Gear in Hong Kong

Hey guys
    I am off to Hong Kong at the end of September for a week and was wondering if anyone else has been there before. Looking at if i can to get some gear cheaper than we can here in oz. If possible of course.

What i am after if others have been there is some places i should check out. I believe i will be staying in Taipei, i think. I will be doing training with Speedcast and have to travel out to their teleport each day from wherever i am which could be an hours train ride from where i am. I will know closer to the date of me actually going when the boss has booked stuff but at this stage thats all i know.

things on my to look at list
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
    Canon 10-22mm
    Canon 1.4 extension tube
    Another 580ex II

Well thats all so far

Mike
    Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Speedlite 580EX II

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sure that there are thousands of people who have had good experiences with buying gear in Hong Kong, but my one and only experience has not been a good one. I bought a Sigma for Canon 70-200 2.8 lens in September last year and although it worked fine for the 50 or so test photos, after arriving home I took about 5 photos and the AF stopped working. I could hear the motor whirring but it wouldn't focus. I had to take it back into C.R. Kennedy here in Sydney and to cut a long story short, it has been back 6 times, back to Sigma Japan once. When I got it back from Sigma in Japan, same story - worked for a few photos and then stopped again. Through all this C.R. Kennedy has been amazing as although it was supposed to have a worldwide warranty I was told that it necessarily doesn't have to be honoured. They have done everything under warranty and the lens is now back with Sigma, Japan and I am hoping for a replacement. I was also told that some shopkeepers sell you reconditioned items as new. When I bought the lens I was told that I was saving around $200, but when I got my statement from the bank, I only saved around $50 with the exchange rate. The lens has been with C.R. Kennedy and Sigma, Japan longer than I have had it in my hands. I don't want to frighten you off dealing overseas, but it does pay to do your homework and make sure that you are really getting a bargain.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mate. Hence why im checking on here way before i head off around end sept early oct
    If i can make some fairly reasonable savings heck i will buy what i want if i can't make much difference i will prob wait and be safer than sorry buying from here in oz

Cheers
    Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msenior View Post
    If i can make some fairly reasonable savings heck i will buy what i want if i can't make much difference
    Remember, if you think you can save 20% OS, it's really only 11%, as you can get the GST back through the TRS scheme when you leave and you've had the option toplay with the gear for a month before you go away, and you have it with you while you're there

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True. Thanks John
    Did that the with the cam and 50mm back in Jan

Might be the way to go

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have only had good experiences with buying camera gear in HK - RESEARCH THINGS BEFORE YOU BUY

The only place I would recommend is Wing Shing Photo Supplies in Mong Kok, it is one of the biggest and best in terms of price and haggling and reputable. Avoid ANY camera stores on Nathan Road around Tsim Sha Tsui tourist area

why dont you just buy online via DWI - same pricing as in HK and you get to use it in Aus before you leave etc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can recommend the Wing Shing shop too, that's where I got some of my gear.

If you're good at haggling (and not to sound racist here) and you're asian, you can try places like Fortress and Broadway. Being caucasian myself, I found haggling very diffcult as you are a walking dollar sign

There's also another store in Mong Kok that I've heard dropped a few times but the name eludes me - I can ask my friends on any other suggestions.
    Adam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    I have only had good experiences with buying camera gear in HK - RESEARCH THINGS BEFORE YOU BUY

The only place I would recommend is Wing Shing Photo Supplies in Mong Kok, it is one of the biggest and best in terms of price and haggling and reputable. Avoid ANY camera stores on Nathan Road around Tsim Sha Tsui tourist area
    I'm from Hong Kong originally. I agree with JM Tran wholeheartedly.

The other places you can buy from are Fortress and Broadway, but they may or may not have stock of what you want and prices aren't really special, still cheap compared to Aussie stock in Australia, but not super duper dirt cheap if you know what i mean.

Generally my feeling is the there's always a reason why people sell things super cheap, normally it's because the item is not exactly brand new. I've heard stories of places that try to sell stuff that's covered with finger prints, and "new" cameras with an SD card inside filled with other people's photos!

I think if you stick to the big stores, you might pay a little bit more but have peace of mind.

If you're in the Tsim Sha Tsui area, the only place worth going to is Tin Cheung, which is quite reputable, but not cheap and pretty crap service.

Have fun shopping!
    Criticism & Suggestions welcome
    A pretty standard Canon setup covering the 17-200 range.
    Sigma 50 1.4
    Various film cameras

My Flickr stream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/arubaato/

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I buy almost everything from Hong Kong through ebay. Must have saved about $2000 recently this way. There is some inherent risk but the savings are worth it. I also think that going through ebay is actually more secure than just turning up at the store and buying it as you then have the recourse of feedback on ebay.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. Should have details finalised today of actually where i will be....Well i hope so.

Michael

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usually I find you save 30% in HK vs here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had positive experiences buying camera gear from the Mongkok area. As noted above, prices are some 30% or so lower than in Oz and I was quite surprised at the same prices in the three or four bigger shops there, except for the occasional sale of some items. Bought in 2008 an EF 50mm f/1.4 which worked flawlessly and last year my daughter bought for me an EF 17-40mm f/4L USM which again was faultless.

You can get an idea of prices from this site: http://www.ygdragon.net/photo/cameraprice.htm, although the listed discounted prices are not always available but it is helpful for starters.
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 70-200 f/4L USM | EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | EF 28-70 f/3.5-4.5 II
    EF 25 II Extension Tube | Velbon Sherpa 250R tripod