Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Drawing tablets - which one|how much

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drawing tablets - which one|how much

Hi all,

With Fathers day around the corner, my wife & kids have been at me for suggestions for presents (they have realized I am not a 'surprise' person). So my thought turned to a pen and tablet. Looked through the forums here and the last time this came up was a couple of years ago, so my questions to you is
    1: what is good in the market
    2: what is less good
    3: what sort of price is reasonable

I am a keen amateur, who will connect it to a laptop. I am using CS5 for modification & manipulation.

All suggestions gratefully accepted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gerry I picked up the Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch about 4 weeks ago for $138, and I think that I made the right choice - it's a good size (i.e. does not take up too much desk real estate) and works a charm - it only took a couple of sessions and it became second nature to me.

One thing to note is that in pen mode, the entire tablet maps the screen, so my research indicated that bigger was not necessarily better, and I think that I made the right size choice (for me) bearing that in mind.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tony. greatly appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Gerry it really depends on your budget - WACOM is the industry standard for professional editing and touch up artists, but those tablets they use are over 1k and are LCD screens on itself lol

the WACOM Intuos is a good middle ground and below $250, the Bamboo is good for entry level stuff and more affordable

there are other makers of tablets, I cant recall them but they represent better value for money - ie. this brand I saw at Singapore airport - an 8x12 inch tablet which is a pretty good size for only $90AUD, no idea how it is though, but I might buy one tomorrow on the way home to Aus and let u know how it handles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Bamboo Pen & Touch (same one as maccaroneski I would guess) and it works a treat. I don't have a lot of desk space so its small footprint is a good thing and I don't find the smaller active area (4x6) to be limiting at all. I do all my photo editing with the pen and have completely dispensed with a regular mouse, using either the pen or the touchpad.
    Canon DSLRs & lenses | Fuji X series & lenses | Ricoh GR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ill 3rd on Macca' and Jules on the Bamboo, if your not sure get one of those,
    its a cheap alternative to the larger more expensive ones, took me a bit to get used to it as I use a 27in Imac and used to use it with a laptop but now Im configured it I love the thing. They also come with a mouse too, but once you get used to it, youll probably find yourself just using the pen for non editing mousing actions. Good lil unit for a good price

One day I'll take some serious photos, just not today
    Canon 50D | 450D Gripped | 50mm 1.8| 18-55 | 100-300 | Tamron 17-50 f2.8 | 85mm f1.8 | Manfrotto Tripod | Studio Flashies | 430EX | Loads of useless gadgets | All this gear and still no idea.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi have had the Bamboo as well for nearly 3 years and it does everything I need it to do. I'd buy another one (best recommendation I can give!)
    Cheers,
    Greg
    Bodies: Nikon D4, D300, D80
    Lenses: Nikon AF-S 18-135 kit lens, Nikkor AF-S70-300 1:4.4-5.6 G VR, Nikkor AF Micro 60mm 2.8 D, Nikkor AF 50mm, 1.8 D, Nikkor AF-S 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 G ED, Nikkor AF-S 24-120 f/4G ED VR, Nikkor AF-s 500mm f4G ED VR
    Accessories: SB600 Flash, Flashpro 500SP Studio Lights, Sekonic L758D light meter, Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod, Velbon RUP-43 Monopod, Wemberley Head
    Monitor: Eizo S2231W with Huey monitor calibrator
    Lowepro Slingshot 100AW, Tamrac T31 case, Computrekker AW

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have an intuous 6, which I have had for years. Great tablet! It has been superseded a few times now, but it works so well, I haven't seen the need to upgrade. Wacom make a good product!
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have the Wacom Intuos 4 and I use it for writing, but it has some great shortcuts for CS5. It is only a new thing to me, but definately the way to go. For what I use mine for more space is definately better, but I am sure the bamboo is good from what the others have said!

BTW the Wacom screen tablet is a fantastic piece of kit but at $1700...very expensive!

Roo
    Call me Roo......
    Nikon D300s, Nikon 35mm 1.8 DX, Nikkor 50mm 1.4 Af-S, Nikon 18-200mm VR, Nikon 70-200VRII 2.8, Sigma 105 Macro, Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM, Tokina 12-24mm, Sb-600, D50, Nikon 1.7 T/C, Gitzo CF Monopod

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rellik666 View Post
    Have the Wacom Intuos 4 and I use it for writing, but it has some great shortcuts for CS5. It is only a new thing to me, but definately the way to go. For what I use mine for more space is definately better, but I am sure the bamboo is good from what the others have said!

BTW the Wacom screen tablet is a fantastic piece of kit but at $1700...very expensive!

Roo
    Ohh Yeah. I have had my eye on one of those for a few years now!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah couldn't justify the price....did look fantastic though.....no worrying about where the pointer is...scribble over what ever you want....etc...

Roo

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had the Wacom Bamboo Fun for a while now - love it. I use the pen for photo work and the mouse when I'm just typing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    again another vote for the wacoms. I have a wacom intuos3 and its amazing, but you do pay a premium for it. They can handle anything you can throw at them and more, and they are pretty much the industry standard for everything. I personally haven't tried any other brands i heard some are alright but if you can get a wacom i suggest you do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got an "el cheapo" Manhattan brand which I brought to try out before outlaying big bucks for a Wacom - I haven'tupgraded to that Wacom yet but the Manhattan still kicks along and does everything I need for under $100 - I even tend to use the pen in place of the mouse.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for your feedback.
    It seems hands down for a Wacom.
    Now I suspect I might get in to trouble spending $1.7K. Love goes a fair way but probably not that far.
    Checking out the web for prices. $421 for a Intuos4-medium vs $569 for the Intuos4-large. Do these seem good value?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure about the value bit I would definitely go to a store where they have some on display to get a feel for size before paying. I was all set to drop $400 on the Intuous before I found that the smaller version suited me better.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Idea Tony, I went in to our local Harris Technology, they had them all out so you could have a play...BTW, unless you have inbuilt bluetooth in your computer, I would avoid the wireless intuous...don't pay the extra as it is a pain in the neck!

Prices look good to me....Harris has them at good prices usuallly.

Roo

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tony & Roo. I will sneak out today & have a play. Agree with you about bluetooth. It is better than what is was, but can still be more pain than gain.

Gerry