User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Benro C-268/9 tripod and Acratech GP-S traveller ball head - thoughts please

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Benro C-268/9 tripod and Acratech GP-S traveller ball head - thoughts please

Earlier this month a very strong wind gust cost me a tripod - it was my own stupidity as I had not weighed the tripod down sufficiently. Luckily it was an old video one, rated fine for the weight of 30D + lens, but lightweight nonetheless.

So I'm in the market for a new setup. Read pretty much all the threads here, and some elsewhere. Thinking both normal use and travel convenience as well.

Currently I'm considering the Benro C-268/9 M8 Travel Angel.

The 269 is a 5 section CF job that folds down to 38cm, minimum leg diameter is 16mm. The 268 is the 4 section version that folds to 41cm, min. leg dia of 19mm - I am
    leaning towards the 4 section version for stability on that last leg section. Reported weights without head are 1.26kg (268) and 1.24kg (269). Load capacity is said to be 12kg on both.

For the head I've narrowed it to the Acratech GP-S. This is the travel version of the GP which is made to fit with the fold-up type travel tripods. Aside from the slightly smaller dimensions it looks to have the same features as the GP, incl. the gimbal head feature, which I think I would use. The GP-S is said to work with lenses up to 400mm, and rated for 11.4kg. Weighs 0.4kg.

Generally speaking I'll only be using a 30D or 7D with 70-200 lens (~2.2kg) so I'm expecting the setup to be rock solid, yet light and portable, while also providing plenty of leeway for larger lens upgrades if I choose to go down that path. I will be particularly mindful of hanging something off the hook!

My thinking on this combo is that Benro appear to have a reasonably good reputation for quality but is also good value - so I'll save a little on the legs and put it towards a top notch head.

I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have about this proposed setup, or any suggestions for alternatives.

Thanks in advance!
    SA
    SA

Canon 7D | Canon 30D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L (non-IS) | 580EX II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased a benro A-169 about a mount ago, the alumumin version of the C-169.
    I did a swap upgrade of the head to the B-0 at the shop. This gave the head, and the tripod have the same weight limits of 8kg. This made the folded length a little longer, but it still fits in it carry bag. I can't coment on GP, don't know it. Anyways, I happy with this, used if successfully on my last holiday. If I could justify the money for 200g, I would have went the carbon version.
    Mark
    Canon 5D mkII
    LENS CANON EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM, CANON EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, CANON EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, CANON 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro + Kenko Extension tubes DG: 36mm, 20mm, 12mm & Kenko 2x Pro 300 DGX
    FLASHES Canon Speedlite 270EX, Metz 48 AF-1 , Yongnuo YN-560, + Gary Fong Lightsphere, RF-602 Tx, 3x RF-602 Rx
    TRIPODS Benro A-169 + B0, Manfrotto 676B (mono) + Benro DJ90, Manfrotto ART 190 + mod 168.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Model: C-297 M8 and it seems very good - not as compact as the Travel angel though
    My Goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am