10 8.85%
  • Other

9 7.96%
  • Olympus

3 2.65%
  • Samsung

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If I was starting in photography, what OTHER brand would I choose?

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I originally stepped up from my P&S to the DSLR I did a lot of research and finally narrowed it down to two Canon and Nikon, this was mainly because of the much larger choice and availability of lenses and other accessories for these two. The final choice went to canon and I have been very happy with that. So in this pole I voted Nikon.
    Keith

Canon 400D Gripped, Canon 7D LCD Timer Gripped, Canon 70-200 f2.8L is ii. Canon 2X iii Extender, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 18-250, Sigma 17-50 F2.8, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 90mm Macro, Yonguno YN460 & 460ii Speedlights and a Hanimax TZ 1 Flash, Wireless Triggers ,LED Macro Ringlight, Extension Tubes, 3 tripods, 2 monopods, PS Elements 5 & 10, PSP9 and canon s/ware, various filters and other photographic paraphernalia all packed in a computrecker backpack. NEW:- Panasonic GX8, 45-150, 14mm F2.5. PSE 2018.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Typical me, I didn't read the question.

Anyway, I have had Nikon, Pentax, Fujifilm, Konica, Chinon, Kodak, Balda, Robot, Sony, Bauer (cine), Sanyo (video) and probably a few others that seem to have slipped my mind. The only camera brand of note that I haven't owned is Canon so by default that would be the one I would have to recommend. Mind you, it is hard to go wrong with any of the current generation but there are some cameras that are better for certain people - it just depends on needs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    oh but you could trade your camera gear for a well worn and loved AK47 with a few hundred rounds in Uganda though, and it shoots too!
    Give it a break. I could get five new AK47's for the price of a body alone and all the ammunition I need in trade for my 70-200 f2.8.
    Photojournalist | Filmmaker | Writer | National Geographic | Royal Geographic

D3x and other gear.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a bag of canon gear and yes I love the long L lenses but I would be happy with a bag full of Nikon! I like gadgets and hate my creativity to be stifled by a lack of gear. I started out with Carl Zeiss, switched to Minolta Film gear but they seriously dropped the ball with digital so I switched to Canon and on my 4th Canon digital. I would like to try a decent Nikon set up to see what all the argument is about.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nikon is the only other camera I really know much about. Good question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked Other because although a 645D would be nice, a Hasselblad would be nicer, or a Leica, or a Linhof Technika, or a Sinar... the list goes on, and not necessarily for '35mm' type format. As for DSLRs, I currently use Nikon and probably really wouldn't consider swapping systems after 20+ years with them.

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    who bumped this old thread?

anyhow i picked canon... but in retrospect if i didnt have nikon i would give up photography

(ps, i totally envy the mep65)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know your all going to laugh but I wish I could go back to my old Zenit with a Carl Zeiss Jena 80-200mc. Solid,simple and manual .Only problem is that in 2011 the sniper kit might be a bit of a issue at airports
    Waiting on a train

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123