User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  27

View Poll Results: If I was starting in DSLR photography now what brand would I choose

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Canon

59 51.30%
  • Nikon

41 35.65%
  • Pentax

15 13.04%
  • Other

9 7.83%
  • Sony

5 4.35%
  • Olympus

3 2.61%
  • Samsung

1 0.87%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unbiased Opinion- which brand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink Unbiased Opinion- which brand

Hi AP,
    I have a challenge for experienced photographers. A difficult challenge for those who have accumulated a magnificent collection of excellent lenses for several bodies which have served them well.
    The Challenge is this. Forget your current financial commitment to a Camera brand. Imagine you are able to start all over again, with todays technology but all of your photography knowledge. Pretend you have no brand loyalty, no brand network and no established relationship with your brand distributor.
    Have a look at what is being released at the moment, whats on the market. The new technology and the current trends.
    Now, which brand would YOU start with. Be honest.
    Not easy, but I would love to know if people would choose elements from other brands if they had not already invested so much into one.
    Cheers
    Snappytom (new and fishing for direction)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An unbiased opinion on which brand is best

now that is a novel Idea
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, I don't believe anyone could choose ONE brand.
    The reason is simple. Some bodies have great ideas poorly implemented whilst others have brilliant basics but lack finishing. Also there is the requirement of each genre. This in itself will bring about many and fierce discussions.
    Personally I love the camera I have at present but there are things it has that I don't need but it is lacking in a few areas that I really use.
    I think that whilst your question is an interesting one, I don't believe there is a simple answer.
    Peter.

Some of my photo's are at www.peterking.id.au

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously Markchap, Does bias come from financial investment or can experienced photographers change brands (if they can afford it) when they believe another brand becomes more suitable?
    Besides, you cant laugh at me, I am new!!

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From a Nikon geek.. Go Sony!

but only full frame!! ... otherwise my bias comes into play and I'll always vote.. Nikon of course
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ford or Holden ??

What is best today, and what one may choose today, will be different tomorrow, when the new batches come out from each manufacturer.

Seriously Snappytom, what to you want to shoot, and maybe we can give some guidance.
    I couldn't possibly give any sort of recommendation with out getting each of the contenders in my hands to see how they feel. Which I haven't done so it would just be a wild guess from an uneducated opinion

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's almost impossible to answer as it depends on your needs, desires and practicalities. Everyone is different.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ex Nikon now using Canon and very happy with the change. But if money is no option send me a new Hasselblad, but i think I would be living under the stars cause the house would have to goto pay for it.
    Mike
    Canon 5DmkII, Canon 1DmkIIN, EF 24-105 f4LIS, EF 70-200 f2.8LIS, EF 135 f2L,EF 300 f4LIS, EF 17-40 f4L, EF 100 f2.8 Macro USM, Sigma 50 f1.4 EXDG, 580EX & 420EX,Cokin P filters.
    Tamrac Ultra Pro 17 bag,Lowpro Toploader 75AW,Lowpro Outback 200 belt pack,Black Rapid RS-5 and R-3,Aperture 3,Elements 8.
    Wacom Intuos 4 tablet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use multiple brands for different types of shoots ie. Hasselblad if I need high MP and DR for commercial clients and enlargements, Canon for weddings, Nikon for beating around the bush or for high ISO journalist stuff, Olympus PEN for quick interviews and snapshots of subject where discretion is best etc. Used to use Pentax a lot for street work with pancake lenses too.

A smart photographer knows that they will always get the best results by knowing when and where to use the best equipment for the desired results or end product

Only amateurs or the ignorant will advocate for one brand over another hahaha

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted Canon, but that's because I do wildlife and, for that particular specialty, Canon really is the best choice, with only one other serious possibility in Nikon. But if I had a different specialty - almost any other - I would probably have voted for Pentax. For typical everyday, non-professional use, I reckon Pentax are the best all-round value there is. And that's coming from a Canon owner.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where is the option for 'Pointless Question'?

Is is rather like asking a fish where on the moon it would prefer to live if it had the option.
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ Sea of Tranquillity, where else?

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkChap View Post
    Ford or Holden ??

What is best today, and what one may choose today, will be different tomorrow, when the new batches come out from each manufacturer.

Seriously Snappytom, what to you want to shoot, and maybe we can give some guidance.
    I couldn't possibly give any sort of recommendation with out getting each of the contenders in my hands to see how they feel. Which I haven't done so it would just be a wild guess from an uneducated opinion
    Thanks Markchap,
    I would love some guidance on camera choice. (Bet noone has asked for that before!)
    I currently use a fujifilm s5700. My 9 yearold son and I love the supermacro for insects but the zoom is not long enough for birds flying over head. I love it's potability but start up is often too slow to capture what the kids are doing. I have gotten quite good at action shots but I cant get anything in the gym or on the otherside of the soccer pitch. I use basic video often.
    So I have finally decided to go DSLR.
    One shop suggested Samsung NX10 with 3 lenses for $1000. That was tempting, and right on budget.
    I liked the Pentax Kx but others said I would soon grow out of it if I already have a bridging camera.
    I obviously needed to extend the budget (and maybe the mortgage).
    I compared the Nikon D90 to Canon D550 to Pentax K7. On paper and without DSLR experience (or understanding of most specs) Pentax K7 won for me.
    I like weatherproof and sturdy body. I like built in stability and a self cleaning sensor. I like a vast array of compatible lenses readily available second hand. And at 5.3 fps it was quickest. But is it too big for my hands?
    But on the way to the camera shop.........
    Sony released 4 that are quicker with twisty viewfinders for my beloved macro work. Canon released the D60 which fills all the gaps and now I am waitng to see the Nikon D95 so I might as well see what the Pentax K5 or Kr offers.
    I have just mentioned many different brands.
    Hence my original question about recommended brands, just to narrow the search to one brand would be a relief.
    Needless to say I am thoroughly enjoying the thrill of the search.
    Cheers
    Snappytom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

The fact is, you're NOT going to get an unbiased opinion.

People have invested thousands of dollars into their kit and will stick by it for all sorts of reasons.

Also, I am someone who changed brands early on (from Olympus to Canon) mainly due to the fact I found myself chooting more and more in bad light. I came to the conclusion that the Olympus 4/3 sensor was rubbish at that.

Now, you will get an argument that 4/3 technology is much improved. Is it? No idea really.

In reality, no brand is really going to be 'better'. They are all pretty good who leads the race will probably change from year to year.

Do your research for what you want to do...

The thing that perhaps should influence your choice might be your friends... esp if they are the type of friends who may be willing to lend you lenses from time to time as you build up your kit. I know borrowed a couple of lenses early on... and, assuming I know / trust a friend well enough, will (and have done) lend my stuff short term.

Good luck.

Scotty

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have multiple brands too. Canon film camera, Nikon DSLR, Fuji and Olympus point n shoots, panasonic video camera.

My thoughts..go and buy a damn camera and use it! It is the photos that matter not what brand it came from. Anyone who gets to caught up in the 'brand' needs to get out more and take more photos!

*I am not voting*
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DSLRs... Pentax is the best value at the entry point and also at the very high end (645D)
    I've been Pentax for 35+ years; but if starting I would also consider Nikon.
    Canon has never felt good in my hands (too plastic) and I've had a crappy run with their printer products.

+1000 to Rick's post - the reality is you can go that wrong with any of the 4 major brands (P,N,C,S).
    Oly is out for me due to 4/3 sensor being too small.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Snappytom,

Personally, I'd get the least expensive dSLR you can get that has the features and functions you're looking for. If you've only used a point-n-shoot before, a dSLR is a whole new learning experience.

I borrowed my daughter's point-n-shoot Olympus off and on for a couple of months before she stole it back permanently. That's when I splurged on a dSLR and entered a whole new world of photo opportunity and the accompanying elation and disappointment that went along with it. I'm still plugging away, though, and am getting better (I hope) with my dSLR.

My point is, no matter what camera you purchase now, after you use it for a few months, a year, or more you'll know what you're looking for. When you decide you're ready to purchase another camera you'll know better, or exactly, what you want. Maybe it'll be the same brand, or maybe not.

The 'light' is waiting... DIVE IN!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    PENTAX K-x black body, smc PENTAX DA 18-55mm and 55-300mm AL II lenses & smc PENTAX-A f/1.7 50mm Prime lens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put Canon (will probably get burnt at the stake but meh)...but thats only because what they have in terms of the 5D MkII would suit my needs atm beautifully and the lenses for my purposes don't run to such high prices...and a 50D would be a perfect body for the other stuff I do. (This is not to say the Nikon stuff I have doesnt do the job and well, its just a convience and application perspective based on what is available now...having commited to Nikon I love the stuff they have...though the lens upgrading can be a bit haphazard). But I also have a bias in that a couple of my friends who stormchase run Canon, and when one of us is driving you need another to take a shot...and so being able to use the device easily would be very helpful.

But this last bit as others say is the key point: It depends what you want to do and what you would like to shoot...plus what you feel comfortable with. Having played with a 7D I would not buy one purely on the basis of putting it in my hands.
    Last edited by Xebadir; 31-08-2010 at 12:42pm.
    John
    Nikon D800, D700, Nikkor 14-24 F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8D, 70-200mm F2.8 VRII, Manfrotto 190XB with Q5 PM Head,
    SB-900,600, portable strobist setup & Editing on an Alienware M14x with LR4 and CS5 and a Samsung XL2370 Monitor.

Stormchasing isn't a hobby...its an obsession.
    For my gallery and photography: www.emanatephotography.com

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And how can you comment unless you have tried them all out extensively? Not many people could have done that. And personal preferences will always intervene.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't offer a vote on that as I dont really know enough about some of the 'other' brands.

The real issue is glass (ie lenses). If you are buying an entry level camera (or even a second level one) you are likely to upgrade in the not too distant future. If you have expensive glass that will dictate if you stick to brand or not. If you have no intention of investing in good glass then the brand choice is pretty irrelevant just go with the one that feels best and offers the features you like most.

My personal experience was to choose Pentax because it was best bank for buck (back when I switched to DSLR). I switched to Canon a couple of years later (at the expense of funtionality) because (1) it had better lens options for wildlife, especially to hire (2) friends had Canon gear I could borrow (3) I was sick of being in the minority when it came to marketing, developments, literature, forums etc (up to you whether that is a positive or negative).

Good luck with your choice - but you can't really go wrong these days.

Cheers
    Josh
    Check out my new site - www.wattsgallery.com - feedback welcome

Gear - Canon 5D, 40D, 10-22, 24-70 2.8L, 200 2.8L, 50 1.8, 430EXII

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast