User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sony NEX 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all, I just bought a Nikon D5000 and had to send it back. It was too bulky and heavy for me. I seem to have a problem with my wrist I wasn't aware of..... So now I'm looking at a Sony Nex-5.
    I've done lots of research and think this might be the best camera for me.... however..... I want to shoot Macro. I am just upgrading from my little Sony Cybershot point & shoot and want something I can grow with and love the idea of being able to add lenses. But Macro is my passion and that's what i will be doing a lot of. Do you think this camera will suit me? I see that Sony is going to release a Macro lens in 2011 along with a few others.
    But would another Macro lens be able to work on this Nex? If so, any suggestions as to which lens? Also does anyone know if I have to get an adapter to use the kit lens that comes with the Nex? I've done enough research to be confused and on overload now..... Thanks for any input.
    Raledo

Sony NEX 5 with 18-55 kit lens. All CC gratefully appreciated.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The beauty of the mirrorless cameras is the ability to take the widest array of lenses. With the right adaptors, you can add a Canon 600mm, a Leica M 35mm, or a Nikon 105mm micro.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To Raledo

My wife has just got the NEX 5 as DSLR's are to heavy for her.

Got the 18-200 lens and is still trying different settings.

We checked this morning and it has Macro setting's in camera along with a lot of other settings. She tried out Macro and was very happy with the results.

Hope this is of some help.

Derek
    Pentax K-3 and some Sigma lens's

CC always welcome but please ask first.Thank you, Derek

Trust in God,but tie up your Camel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tom & Derek for the info. Good things to consider. Tom would the adapter that comes optional with the Nex-5 work with the lenses you mentioned?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We tried the Sony adapter that allowed us to use Minolta lens.

Only trouble was we had to manual focus. I think you will find its the same for all lenses.

Hope this helps.

Derek

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey raledo, I'd guess no. The Leica uses the M mount, the Nikon uses their F mount, and Canon has their own mount too. You need an adapter for every type of mount, so it's best to stick with one or two mounts. I use a native m4/3rds lens on my Olympus, and the rest of the lenses are M mounts. I may try to get an adapter for some of my Mamiya 6x7 glass too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My missus got me a NEX-5 Dual lens kit for below $700 just before Xmas (Myer 15% discount + Myer gift voucher discount + Sony $100 cash back + GST return due to travelling)

I find the NEX-5 is quite outstanding in many area. Fully customizable and lots of features you would only expect to be found on a SLR. It shoot RAW and it can do 7fps if quality and AF is not first priority in a particular situation (Canon SX30IS doesn't, which was another "convenient" camera I was looking)

While the 16mm f/2.8 pancake is not really a very outstanding lens, the 18-55 OSS doing just fine and the size make it quite easy to carry. The feature I LOVE the most is the sweep panoramic and the Full HD video is quite handy.

Even after the firmware update, I still do no find it quite a lot easier to access major functions like ISO, WB etc. But due to it's much small size and the APS-C sensor, I have been carry it around a lot more often than my 1DMkIII. (Which is gigantic in comparison)

I know I am not comparing apple to apple, the reaction speed of the NEX5 is kind of slow, slower than my 500D IMO, focusing is a pain even with "flexible point". AF in low light is impossible; Again, the menu navigation is rather painful for me. Plus it is quite easily buffer up if shooting continuously, even using a Class 10 SDHC.

But it also come with a few clever features that no other SLR can do. i.e. Handheld Twilight mode.

If I want absolute quality with my landscape or family portrait, I will still go for the 1D. But the NEX will ALWAYS be with me, maybe it is for the sweep panoramic when I am doing the landscape; or going out dinner with friends (and I don't want to lung a 1D and all the Ls in this case).

And its quite easy for my missus to "out facebook" her girlfriends with my photos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got my Nex 5 yesterday with the kit lens 18-55mm. I have to say so far .... I love it! It's solid and easy to use and the more I use it, the better I like it. I am not a professional, but hope to get better with experience and feel I made the right choice after months of research. I did get a Sony Alpha adapter from Amazon and also got a Sony 55mm f1/8 lens that I haven't used yet. I still want to get a good "inexpensive" macro, but am doing more research before I pull that trigger. I just want to thank everyone who gave me input and answered my questions. If i can figure out how, i will post my 1st shot of a bird. As always, CC gratefully accepted.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raledo View Post
    If i can figure out how, i will post my 1st shot of a bird. As always, CC gratefully accepted.
    We cannot critique your photo here in a gear talk forum. You need to post it in the Members Photos : Bird : forum for critique.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for letting me know Rick.... I'm still learning my way around so any tips and help is highly appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    raledo: congrats on your camera purchase, I love the nex-5, I've been using the alpha adaptor and 30mm macro.. the focal length is a bit short.. but it suits my needs for macro at the moment. The cupcake photo below was taken with this combo
    The camera really comes alive with rangefinder lenses mounted...

C & C always welcome / Matte Mac User / Leica M2 - M8 - 28mm 2.8 Elmarit ASPH / Voigtlander 35mm 2.5 Skopar / Sony NEX-5 - 16mm 2.8 - 18-55 Kit - A mount adaptor - 30mm Macro / Rayqual E-mount to Leica M adaptor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Dan, I'm still in love with the NEX 5, although am still researching a macro lens for it. I want to take photos of insects, so need a little longer range, but your set up looks great! I hear Sony is coming out with a macro lens soon for the NEX 5, but haven't heard anymore about it lately. I'm waiting to see what it will be. I like your cupcake; it turned out really clear; it's making me hungry. I'm posting a photo I took the other day in the snow with my NEX 5 on my kit lens 18-55.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DanNG View Post
    The camera really comes alive with rangefinder lenses mounted...
    Ah... the range finder lenses... the forbidden place where I have to forbid myself.... if I ever get myself one of those for my NEX5, I know I will stack up 50 of them in no time.... which might introduce divorce and after effects.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW just saw a notice that Sony have ceased production of the NEX series..in Japan anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They ceased production of the NEX series? Good thing I bought my NEX 5 before the stock run out. I love everything about it. It is almost as small as any point and shoot but the quality is as great as most DSLRs out there. 14 megapixels, full hd recording, interchangeable lenses, what's not to like about it? Oh, and the panorama sweep. everything is sweet. And to make it sweeter, the price is not that bad either.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesun View Post
    BTW just saw a notice that Sony have ceased production of the NEX series..in Japan anyway.
    Along with lots of things, production in Japan has had to cease in the wake of the earthquake. I suggest this may only be a temporary measure. Other camera brands have had to do the same, due to damage to their production plants etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys,
    Just wondering if you can help me with a decision on a lens for my Sony Nex 5.

Im tossing up between this one

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    Voigtlander Nokton 40mm F/1.4 SC Black 40 f1.4 Leica M
    or

Voigtlander Nokton Classic 35mm F/1.4 SC f1.4 Leica M

There is about $200.00 difference between each lens so I am really not sure which one to get. I currrently just have the NEX 5 Twin Lens kit.
    I want a lens which is good for street photograph.

Can anyone shed any light which one they would go for and would I notice a significant difference in quality of photos compared to the standard nex lens?

Thanks for your advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by implsv View Post
    Hi guys,
    Just wondering if you can help me with a decision on a lens for my Sony Nex 5.

Im tossing up between this one

Voigtlander Nokton 40mm F/1.4 SC Black 40 f1.4 Leica M
    or

Voigtlander Nokton Classic 35mm F/1.4 SC f1.4 Leica M

There is about $200.00 difference between each lens so I am really not sure which one to get. I currrently just have the NEX 5 Twin Lens kit.
    I want a lens which is good for street photograph.

Can anyone shed any light which one they would go for and would I notice a significant difference in quality of photos compared to the standard nex lens?

Thanks for your advice
    I'm looking at the same things as well..... any suggestions from others? Or samples?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i thought id get some answers for the nex here. ive been contemplating on making the switch to nex + M mount lenses as well.

and im after either the 35 or 40 1.4 voigtlanders too! samples anyone?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12