Thread: Airlines and Camera Bags

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Airlines and Camera Bags

I have just finished reading the previous threads in here on Camera Bags. I have a collection of them. LAst 2 years I have used a Lowepro 300 AW slingshot - my shoulders and a neck just die after a while and I am looking for a backpack style case to take as carry on with all major domestic and international airlines. My head is sore from reading reviews and thinktanks, lowepro,kata etcs websites.
    What I do need is room for a Canon 100-400, 3 other lens, flash, filters batteries, charger. What I liked about the slingshot was the quick action to get to my gear. Alas my back won't last. Ideally a tripod with be able to attach (not for airline travel) when bush walking. Even better would be provision for some personal items - room for sunglasses, hydration pack, a snack.
    Thinktanks rotation 360 looked like a cool design but not enough room and the pack itself is too heavy for its size.
    The Lowepro ProTrekker range looks good - any users here?
    I dont need a space for a laptop. Well at this stage anyway.
    What have other ausphotographers used on longer bushwalks and overseas trips???

Ideally it should not look like a camera bag.
    Hobart Camera semi newbie

Canon 50D
    Canon EF-S 17-55 2.8
    Tamron 18-270 mm
    Canon 10-22mm lens
    Canon 50 mm 1.4
    Benro Carbon Fibre Tripod C-258 + B-1 Head
    Canon 10D EF 100mm 1:2.8 Macro Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX
    imac 24" 2.8 Aperature II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you need is a Lowepro Flipside 400AW. Meets all airline specs and the only thing you need to watch is the weight you put in it. An airline rule. I travel constantly both here and overseas, often go on long treks. You simply can't physically carry any more gear than with this pack within regulations. Water proof cover built in, tripod hitch, high quality shoulder straps and secure waist band that's fully adjustable. Special pouch holder for the flashgun and additional lens holders externally (these need to be detached on most aircraft but are great for trekking. The padding is superior and my gear has never been damaged when thrown on the back seat of a 4WD. Rugged and good value.
    Photojournalist | Filmmaker | Writer | National Geographic | Royal Geographic

D3x and other gear.

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redgum View Post
    What you need is a Lowepro Flipside 400AW. Meets all airline specs and the only thing you need to watch is the weight you put in it. An airline rule. I travel constantly both here and overseas, often go on long treks. You simply can't physically carry any more gear than with this pack within regulations. Water proof cover built in, tripod hitch, high quality shoulder straps and secure waist band that's fully adjustable. Special pouch holder for the flashgun and additional lens holders externally (these need to be detached on most aircraft but are great for trekking. The padding is superior and my gear has never been damaged when thrown on the back seat of a 4WD. Rugged and good value.
    I agree with Redgum about the Lowepro Flipside 400AW. WHat I wrote in another post:

I am using a Lowepro Flipside 400 to house my D700, 16-35 f4 VR, 24-70 f2.8 attached, 70-200 f2.8 VRII, 1.4x TCII, 2x TCIII and SB600 flash plus incidentals, like CF cards, 2 spare batteries, blower, Cokin ND grads, polarizer, lens cleaning etc. I also have a Lowepro lens case that I attach to the belt of the Flipside 400 to house my Nikon AFS300 f4 which makes for easy access when I want to switch quickly between the 300 and the 70-200, one being on the camera and one in the case. Or, I can put the 300 in the backpack and put either the 16-35 or 24-70 in the case and the other on the camera for easy switching between these two. With the lens case attached to the belt and with the camera around my neck, I can easily have the two most used lenses for a given situation within easy access.

The reason I like the Flipside 400 is that when you take it off and put it down, the outer side away from your back sits on the ground and therefore means that when you put it back on you do not get a dirty back!

Also, the natural way that to remove a back pack is with the shoulder strap which means that when you put them down the side of the back pack that faces up is the side that would normally be against your back and this is the side that you access the Flipside bags, not the outer side like most other backpacks. With normal backpacks, you would normally have to turn them over to access your gear, but the Flipside you do not, sort of like a turtle.

As I pointed out above, this also means that you do not get a dirty back as you can with normal backpacks when placing them on the ground. With the belt strap done up and by removing a shoulder strap from your shoulder, you can also swing that bag around your waist without having to remove the backpack completely and you can access the camera gear that way. Another reason why the Flipside works so well.

I used this bag on my recent trip to Europe and the UK with all my Nikon gear listed above - except for the 300 f4 - and found it very comfortable even when on my back all day walking looking at the sights.

A good demonstration here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXCAMU2A2ws

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally use a Lowepro Mini Trekker AW.

It will easily accommodate the gear you have in mind, although you didn't specify what lenses other than the 100-400 you'll want to carry concurrently. If it's something big, your options suitably diminish.

I've flown (domestically) with mine, loaded with camera, 300/2.8, 70-200/2.8 and 16-35, plus other odds and ends. It won't hold a bottle of water with that gear, but the bag does have provisions on the outside for attaching a tripod (I place my tripod in my checked luggage and never carry it on my backpack).

Being a Lowepro, it does look like a camera bag, but even if the bag doesn't look like a camera bag, the tripod attached to it might tip off unsuspecting observers...

Edit: The Mini Trekker AW also has loops for attaching Lowepro lens cases, which can be handy for holding drink bottles.

PS: Check out this video to see how much the Mini Trekker AW actually can hold: http://www.mackstyle.net/minitrekker.mov

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Also use a Lowepro Mini Trekker AW. and have traveled recently to Darwin, Surfers paradise, melbourne. with no trouble housing most of my gear.
    even taken my tripod with the carry on luggage with no one person say anything. So traveling with it, is very easy.

Hi Kmcgreg, beautiful pictures of N.T. l was there last month in darwin and a great place. (have to sort thru my pics as well).
    Can l ask .. did you ask permission before taking the aboriginal ladies picture? as they believe it captures their soul?
    Last edited by PerfectPicture; 10-10-2010 at 10:19pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, nice timing, I just got a 302 AW which I find good/ok for day trips at home. But I don't think it will cut it for travelling as want to put in headphones, book, etc etc to take on a plane. I am looking to buy a new bag and was looking at something like the Fastpack 350, as it has a seperate storage area for other stuff, will look at the 400AW as well, thanks Redgum
    Often beaten, never scared.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much. I will go back to Lowepro's site and have a look. As far as other lens, they are all smaller than the 100-400, 17-55 efs, 10-22 wide angle, 135 2.0.

Cheers again for the help.

D750 Shines
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the Lowepro 400, tons of room to store your needs

cheers

Nikon D750,D500,Z6,Coolpix P7700
    Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED VR, Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 VR, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Tokina 100mm f/2.8, Tamron 60mm f/2 , Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC Di, Nikon Z 24-70mm f/4
    FTZ adapator
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am currently travelling the USA for 7 weeks and have the Slingshot 200AW, carries the basics that I need, with room for personal stuff also, the only thing is as you said with the 400AW I think, back does get a bit sore, but that is after walking 10 hours around Disneyland etc.... overall quite happy with it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    righto, I am going to the duty free store in 2 weeks and buying one looks good!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the link,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just came back after a 4 hour trek to the Great Wall in Mongolia, and 4 hours trek back up the other side of the valley - carrying a Lowepro Computrekker AW

Its simply not designed for trekking like this but more for carry on and light walks and going to photoshoots, it fits my macbook pro 15 inch perfectly, along with 2 camera bodies with grip and 1 telephoto and 2 normal lenses, and up to 3 flashes in the outer compartment

I'll be getting a bigger backpack soon, as I feel this is barely adequate for my line of work and travel

the big National Geographics backpack has a lot of compartments, built for rugged travel and looks great so I wil prolly shell out the high amount of money for it

I find the whole carry on size and weight restrictions to be a joke and a game I play sometimes - went to Asia a few weeks with the Computrekker and a National Geographics big satchel style bag - carry on alone weighed 22kg - more than my checked in suitcase of 15kg I do about 5-6 overseas trips for shoots per year, and fly interstate every month for shoots too - have never been fined for penalized for carry on weight, only for checked in luggage

happy days!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another for the Lowepro 400. Been using one for air travel since Christmas.

The best part for me (other than it holds a ton of gear) is that I can fit it under the seat and I don't have to worry about it getting trashed in the overhead locker.
    AKA Sean

Canon 5D MKII - 24-105L - 70-200 F4L IS - 70-300 IS USM - 28 1.8 - 35L 1.4 - 50 1.4 - 85 1.8 - 100L Macro - 200L 2.8II - Tamron 17-35 2.8 - Sigma 150-500 - 430EX - and a stack of other bits and pieces.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Lowepro bags really aren't designed for proper hiking with gear, I totally agree with JM Tran on this. If you want something like that check out fstop gear, they make some really nice bags designed for that type of work.

They make 3 proper bags hiking bags with a camera insert, I've got a Mala (shoulder / wasit) bag and its brilliant. Never seen anyone say anything bad about them. I'm thinking of getting a Loka, their smallest back pack / hiking pack. Only problem is they are only in the US so mail order only, but the staff were all very helpful when dealing with them.
    Last edited by mikec; 30-08-2010 at 10:06am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey thanks for that link Mike, that Loka bag looks great!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    hey thanks for that link Mike, that Loka bag looks great!
    No problem

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lowepro OmniTrekker - backpack harness (removable); shoulder strap (ditto) and fits into a Pelican 1550 when you want hard protection. I carried mine over my shoulder on my recent flight to NZ.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've also got the flipside 400, pictured here with a gripped 7d with a 100-400 lens hood extended, 70-200 2.8, 24-105, 10-20 and a 65mm macro, in the front i've got a 580EXII, nissin 866, spare batteries for the 2 cameras and flashes, 2 shutter release cables, flash triggers, flash and camera manuals plus other bits and pieces.
    So far i'm really happy with this bag.

Jayde

Honest CC whether good or bad, is much appreciated.
    Love and enjoy photography, but won't be giving up my day job.

Flickr

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much - especially the picture of your gear in the bag. I just bought a flipside 400
    and a 100-400 today! It should be here on Thursday - already for my trip to the Northern Territory! I will post some pics on my return.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got back from 4wding in the Northern Territory and I have to say thanks for all the advice. The Lowepro flipside aw400 worked a treat. I carried a ton of gear including my new canon 100-400. It was comfortable to hike in 40 degree temps on uneven ground and the gear was easily accessible. A great bag. Mind you at one point I was wading in over waist deep water and thought that one slip and $10k worth of gear would be stuffed. Great trip. I will post some pics shortly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmcgreg View Post
    Just got back from 4wding in the Northern Territory and I have to say thanks for all the advice. The Lowepro flipside aw400 worked a treat. I carried a ton of gear including my new canon 100-400. It was comfortable to hike in 40 degree temps on uneven ground and the gear was easily accessible. A great bag. Mind you at one point I was wading in over waist deep water and thought that one slip and $10k worth of gear would be stuffed. Great trip. I will post some pics shortly.
    Can't wait!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast