Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 7D Sharpness Issues

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TAYLORW619 View Post
    So I basically need to send my camera and lens's away to get them fixed because of the inconsistencies throughout the whole range?....
    Not necessellery!

If you do find, using an accurate test method, that the camera/lens does misfocus in a consistent manner, then you'd be wise to send it in for a calibration check/adjust, making sure that they only adjust the lens at this point. If you have other lenses, and they work perfectly, then if they adjust the camera(mechanically/electronically) then the other lenses then may be out too.

there's a pretty good paragraph or two about misfocusing lenses and how it kind of works in reality.. done by lensrental.com

Have a read of this when you have the time .. it's worth it to understand what and why cameras and lenses misfocus.

In the case of the 80-200/2.8 lens of mine, this(misfocus) happened on every single attempt, unless I used LiveView to focus the lens at those parameters(focal length and focus distance). Otherwise the lens worked flawlessly.

Consistency is the key, if you get misfocus one day, but not on another, and you're locked the tripod down properly and made sure that the camera has been aligned correctly to the test target, and so forth, then I'd keep the gear and not send it in.
    if one day, at a later point, you redo the testing and find that you've suddenly noticed that the testing is producing more consistent misofocusing results(you probably have figured out the key to getting consistent results!.. Do them one more time just to be sure, and then send in the gear to be properly calibrated(but before the warranty runs out.

Also note that I forgot to add into the previous text that you have to defocus the lens after every focus acquisition test shot. So focus, expose and then defocus the lens again before the next shot. I think I took about 10 images of this particular session. And when you defocus, do so in both directions, ie. both to infinity and, for the next test exposure to closest focus distance(MFD).
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google canon 7d soft focus and hae a read of the threads on this issue. Seems very common.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got a 7D and the EFS 17-55 lens on Saturday and spent the weekend dealing with shots that were not at all sharp.

After initial sense of disappointment I started testing on Sunday and found that live view is pin sharp, but when using the default "19-point auto" viewfinder AF the focusing is all over the shop. It is *definitely not* focusing on the points that light up red in the viewfinder and on DPP. It appears to be focusing on the nearest object, even if it is on the edges of the frame (that's the whole frame, not the AF frame).

Changing VF AF to single point, the test subject near infinity suddenly became pin sharp identical to live view AF. Which was a great relief.

Unfortunately later that evening a bit of casual testing of dimly lit objects at 2-3m range with the pop-up flash providing focus assist, again provided a superior result with live view AF compared to single point VF AF, even though the VF AF is a smaller point. At least this time the VF AF was not too bad.

So initial strong disappointment on Saturday turned to strong relief this afternoon then to mild unease this evening.

More experimenting needed. But I must say the default AF mode is extremely disappointing.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What your finding is pretty normal. One of the biggest causes of concern with new 7d users around the net is having soft or out of focus images. Most times it's because the AF point mode used isn't doing what your expecting, not necessarily the camera doing someting wrong.

Default is the 19 point mode. Initially, change it to the single point for the time being and enable the thumb joystick to move it around the frame, that way 'you' pick where you want the focus, not the camera.

One of the simplest ways to get on top of all the af point and mode selections is to watch these videos, part 1,2 & 3.
    Have the camera in your lap, pause it every now and then and go through the settings.

Videos

Each of the AF point selection modes has their purpose, it's just a matter knowing which one suits the purpose at the time.

P.S. While you're in the menu settings, also enable the "spot AF" and "centre point expanded AF". After you get on top of it all, you'll probably end up using these more than any of the default settings.

You can alo download those videos onto your own computer or ipod.
    Last edited by Art Vandelay; 20-09-2010 at 10:22am. Reason: Add info

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arg View Post
    I just got a 7D and the EFS 17-55 lens on Saturday and spent the weekend dealing with shots that were not at all sharp.

After initial sense of disappointment I started testing on Sunday and found that live view is pin sharp, but when using the default "19-point auto" viewfinder AF the focusing is all over the shop. It is *definitely not* focusing on the points that light up red in the viewfinder and on DPP. It appears to be focusing on the nearest object, even if it is on the edges of the frame (that's the whole frame, not the AF frame).

Changing VF AF to single point, the test subject near infinity suddenly became pin sharp identical to live view AF. Which was a great relief.

Unfortunately later that evening a bit of casual testing of dimly lit objects at 2-3m range with the pop-up flash providing focus assist, again provided a superior result with live view AF compared to single point VF AF, even though the VF AF is a smaller point. At least this time the VF AF was not too bad.

So initial strong disappointment on Saturday turned to strong relief this afternoon then to mild unease this evening.

More experimenting needed. But I must say the default AF mode is extremely disappointing.
    yes, the auto AF is pretty average... i have been using the single point and the cross hair 5 point as each has its strengths, but the auto is very very average, due to it trying to guess too much as to what you are really trying to get sharp...

best to let the camera do less thinking for you and let it work on exposure...

M
    www.pbase.com/mcphotographics loooots of pictures!
    hmmm Eq list... 1D II, 5D II, 7D, 100-400 LIS F4.5-5.6, 70-200 F2.8L, 135 F2, 85 F1.8, 24-70 F2.8L, 16-35 F2.8L, 420EX, 580EX II x2 ST-E2 Cir polar filters and much much more all in a neat back pack that kills my back!

Adobe CS5
    Week 16 Sheep Winner
    If you have a question about car / action / sports photography or Canon Cameras PM me...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread is a great read! I've had my 7d for a few days now (coming from a 30d) and I spent the first half day playing with the focus modes. I've reverted back to spot / user selected focus points, but I see there could be some uses for other modes, especially when tracking.

Since I've never had the chance to do microadjustments I decided to test all my lenses. This link shows a quick way to test your autofocus. Hope it's helpful.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/a...djustment.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the weekend I was playing with my remote release and the new tripod to get used to them, I was using LiveView for a change instead of the viewfinder because I wanted to try the 10x zoom on the screen in LiveView to see what bit was focused. I was using my 7d and 70-200 f4L.

I noticed that using the LiveView zoom what looked like a stable image was drifting around a bit, I checked all the tripod locks and ball head locks and all were tight. plus the tripod was outside on solid ground.

I went in to look through my manuals and the first one I read was the lens manual which said you MUST switch IS off when tripod mounted. So I went back out using the same settings and watched it with the IS on and it wandered, and Off and the image went rock solid.

I know for the experts this is obvious, but I think for any beginners out there like me it's worth sharing as there are that many settings on these things that there is a lot to take in at first and its easy to miss something. Maybe for some this might be a cause, especially on close range stuff, for the focus not being where you thought it was.

NB - you can only see this when using LiveView and zooming the Live View screen, just through the view finder it all looks steady
    My Goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, firstly I need to say I am only an amateur at photography and have travelled the path of sharpness issues too.

In my experience and I do not have the luxury of IS on my lenses - affortable thing :-)

Firstly, ensure you have run over the micro-adjust process with your lens in question. I did experience softness at times with my Tamron SP AF 17-50 and it was due to front focus - the focus point was about about 2" in front of the actual point of focus, hence I had a very similiar exsperience with portraits. Have only just corrected this and am astounded how much difference a +4 setting has made to this lens.

I mostly shoot with a 70-200L f4 USM (non IS). The basis here for me is shutter speed.
    I set the aperture and then work the ISO to provide a shutter over 1/500 and very rarely do I have a focus issue. I admit I don't use this lens in really low light conditions so rarely is my iso to high to be an issue.

I am not convinced that your camera shake is that bad - take some shots with a high shutter speed and see if you have the same issue, micro-adjust and try again.

Cheers,

Mike
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got a 7D and the EFS 17-55 lens on Saturday and spent the weekend dealing with shots that were not at all sharp....I started testing on Sunday and found that live view is pin sharp, but when using the default "19-point auto" viewfinder AF the focusing is all over the shop....
    Here are a couple of pics with the 19-area auto AF mode. This is the 5th activation of the shutter, first the whole frame, showing the camera's chosen focus points in red, and second image a 100% close-up of the centre area. Exposure 1/250 at f4.5.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    where on earth is that image actually in focus???

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not too bad on the crack in the bottom right corner, ie not actually in focus but getting close.

Out of my first 44 images about 18 are like this, where the red points chosen by the camera for focus are blatantly nowhere even close. Others are really sharp - using the same focusing settings!

I just realised I may be hijacking the OP's thread? Let me know if my etiquette is bad, I'm still on topic with "7D sharpness issues" as per the thread title.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe have a look at these and then have another go.
    http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/control...articleID=3167

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Clubmanmc;682930]yes, the auto AF is pretty average... i have been using the single point and the cross hair 5 point as each has its strengths, but the auto is very very average, due to it trying to guess too much as to what you are really trying to get sharp...best to let the camera do less thinking for you and let it work on exposure.../QUOTE]

When you say "auto AF is very very average", do you mean 18 complete duds out of 44 straightforward shots of static subjects? With the focusing points chosen by the camera not being even vaguely sharp?

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The AF looks confused to me and is trying to focus for al the AF points - I set my 50 to use a single AF point setting, never seen much need for allowing multi point auto focus, but that is just me.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the EXIF data is missing.

What shutter speed ?

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agb View Post
    Maybe have a look at these and then have another go.
    http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/control...articleID=3167
    Thanks agb, but those videos concern more advanced AF features. I was just using the default 19-point focusing mode, and the subject matter was trivial: a static, high contrast detailed subject in the middle of the frame.

Art, as stated in my post with the pics, 1/250 sec at f4.5. Focal length 55mm, lens EFS 17-55.

Thanks for your interest.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    arrh yes. I'm blind, my mistake sorry.

Is it getting proper focus in the other modes ?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks agb, but those videos concern more advanced AF features. I was just using the default 19-point focusing mode, and the subject matter was trivial: a static, high contrast detailed subject in the middle of the frame.

Art, as stated in my post with the pics, 1/250 sec at f4.5. Focal length 55mm, lens EFS 17-55.

Thanks for your interest.
    I don't own a 7D, but I would if I did not continually read about focussing issues.
    Is it possible there is a clue here?
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=36401804
    Last edited by agb; 22-09-2010 at 10:10am.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Is it getting proper focus in the other modes ?
    Yes, beautifully. Apart from a touch of microfocus adjustment being needed, but I can do that!

Part of me says ignore the poor focusing with 19-point AF, I'm not going to be using 19-point AF in my work flow and the more sophisticated modes work fine.

Other part of me says it just got harder for my dear wife to use the camera for occasional shots, and that *was* part of the plan for this camera. And hey, it's the *default* AF mode, you expect it to work on simple subject matter!

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agb View Post
    Is it possible there is a clue here?
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=36401804
    Thanks agb, that was a thoughtful thread and makes good points. In the example given the camera was making a sensible decision based on good logic but the chosen focus point was a surprise to the photographer. That's fine, it happens!

In my example presented above on the 20th, no part of the frame is in focus. The camera chose several focus points (in red), but none of them are in focus nor is any average or weighted average distance.

Here is another example. The camera chose one focus point (red), so one expects that particular point to be in focus, but as you can see from the 100% crop, no part of that square is anywhere near to focus. In fact this example also has no part of the frame in focus.

I have other examples where the actual focus point is in a corner of the frame nowhere near any of the 19 AF points, all of which are out of focus including the chosen red ones. Want to see one?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast