Thread: 7D Sharpness Issues

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

7D Sharpness Issues

Hi all,

With my 7D, I just can't get sharp photos

It's really annoying me because I spent so much on the camera.

Here is an example image, would it be motion blur? But it is at a shutter of 1/100. PP has been applied, including sharpening.

Thanks,
    Taylor

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That doesn't look 'that' bad. but could be improved

What lens ?

Which AF mode are you using ?

Is that cropped or full frame ?

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using my new 24-105L f/4 IS.

I was using Manual select AF point expansion mode.

Focused on his right eye.

Slightly cropped on the right side.

When zoomed in on the eye, not sharp at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate to be honest, whilst it should be ok, 1/100 isn't all that fast if if have an unsteady hand. If you were at 1/500 and still having blur then, I would start blaming the camera.

Not meaning to be rude (I have no idea of your experience) but are you sure you are not moving the camera when you press the button?

Use the same settings in close to the same conditions but put the camera on a tripod (or resting on table) and take a pic using the 10 sec timer. See what happens.

Scotty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    Mate to be honest, whilst it should be ok, 1/100 isn't all that fast if if have an unsteady hand. If you were at 1/500 and still having blur then, I would start blaming the camera.

Not meaning to be rude (I have no idea of your experience) but are you sure you are not moving the camera when you press the button?

Use the same settings in close to the same conditions but put the camera on a tripod (or resting on table) and take a pic using the 10 sec timer. See what happens.

Scotty

Hi Scotty,

No offence taken at all, your trying to help so I appreciate that.

I think I need to be conscious of how steady I am holding the camera and how I am holding it. Does everyone agree with this? How am I supposed to be holding if so?

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the manual select AF mode, have you set up the little joystick to move the point around with your thumb ? if not do that. I can't remember if it had to be enabled in the menu.

Looking at that pic again. focal length is 105mm & shutter 1/100. That should be OK with the IS but it looks it may have caught a a bit of motion blur when you notice the rows of bricks in the background. You will still get some duds even with the IS

Got a couple more to post up ?

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    With the manual select AF mode, have you set up the little joystick to move the point around with your thumb ? if not do that. I can't remember if it had to be enabled in the menu.

Looking at that pic again. focal length is 105mm & shutter 1/100. That should be OK with the IS but it looks it may have caught a a bit of motion blur when you notice the rows of bricks in the background. You will still get some duds even with the IS

Got a couple more to post up ?
    Yes that is the correct mode, I always usually use the centre point as it is the strongest (so I have been told).

I kind of forget how I held the camera, but I don't remember breathing in before taking the photo.

I don't have anymore to post.

Thanks,
    Taylor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The shutter speed / focal length rule of thumb is just that. Consider it a bare minimum for hand-held.

Also, don't forget the 7d is a crop camera so 100mm is 160mm for the purpose of this argument. So, I'd be looking at more like 1/160 min.

Simplest way to work around this is, put your 7d into 8fps mode and take 3 or 4 shots in rapid succession (hold the button down). If you take 3, the middle one should be ok.

Scotty

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you hold your camera?

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ad.php?t=24043

How are you activating the shutter? I.e. do you roll your finger or jab?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jeepers creepers

how about doing a simple focus test

camera on triopd, use flash, s/s 1/250s, fixed target at different focal lengths and distances

shooting people hand held at lowish shutter speeds and blaming the camera on focus issues aint really fair
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Kiwi, you have to try again in good light, using the AF to focus on something with the camera resting on a tripod or still rest like a table, wall etc and use the self timer to trigger the shutter.. Just be sure to do it in a controlled environment, ie; not outside in wind.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post

Would you say the best bet is to try hold correctly, roll finger and use burst?

I am not necessarily blaming the camera, thats why I brought up the slow shutter I have read about the 7D being soft though, but I am not experienced enough to make a judgement call yet.

Thanks for everyones help thus far.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TAYLORW619 View Post
    Would you say the best bet is to try hold correctly, roll finger and use burst?
    Burst is irrelevant.
    There is a knurled bit of the shutter release so you can roll your finger off that onto the shutter release gently without shaking.

http://kelbytv.com/dtowntv/2010/04/01/episode-36/ The bit you want starts 3 minutes into the vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi I have a 7d too and was finding some lack of sharpness at 200mm handheld but yesterday when I was photographing a wallaby in the garden I noticed that I was having trouble holding the focus point over it's eye steadily and as I pressed the shutter the camera moved slightly right each time, so I am getting a tripod, as that's just me, like gun shooters some have very steady hands and some don't , I am one that doesn't. I think a tripod will help a lot for me. I know it's not the camera because I have had some very sharp photo's from it.

My Goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @jbee - I guessing it's camera holding technique + shutter technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off I would do test shots on a tripod to micro-adjust the lens to your camera. Then do some more test shots to determine what your lens aperture "sweet" spot is. Then you are ready to start shooting.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thanks Kym,

I will watch the video a few times, read the link a few times and then post back results and maybe include a few images.

I am getting a battery grip soon so hopefully that will help me.

Thanks,
    Taylor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Evening Taylor.
    Man how I sympathise with you.
    I hate to think how much grief my 7D gave me when I got it.
    A few points.
    1. On your shot you say the focus was on his right eye but it is his left eye that has the sharpest focus. I suspect that there has been some camera movement as jbee mentioned. I found this to be a major factor for me.
    2. Definitely agree with Scotty about the speed and the tripod. I had to forget about 1/100 unless on a tripod. The 7d is a fast camera and wants to work fast and hard. Move your speeds up and try not going below 1/250.
    3. Don't use burst. Unless you are working at 1/500 or faster the camera movement, from my experience, will be the same or worse.

I personally don't use manual select AF. This is something I may use when I get back to the sports shooting. I have found this article useful. Also this was also useful.

The major thing I have found with the 7D is that it is a fast camera and wants to work fast. If you want to work slow you need a tripod. So, fast shutter speeds, fast lenses (you got), and lots of light.
    Peter.

Some of my photo's are at www.peterking.id.au

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterking View Post
    Evening Taylor.
    Man how I sympathise with you.
    I hate to think how much grief my 7D gave me when I got it.
    A few points.
    1. On your shot you say the focus was on his right eye but it is his left eye that has the sharpest focus. I suspect that there has been some camera movement as jbee mentioned. I found this to be a major factor for me.
    2. Definitely agree with Scotty about the speed and the tripod. I had to forget about 1/100 unless on a tripod. The 7d is a fast camera and wants to work fast and hard. Move your speeds up and try not going below 1/250.
    3. Don't use burst. Unless you are working at 1/500 or faster the camera movement, from my experience, will be the same or worse.

I personally don't use manual select AF. This is something I may use when I get back to the sports shooting. I have found this article useful. Also this was also useful.

The major thing I have found with the 7D is that it is a fast camera and wants to work fast. If you want to work slow you need a tripod. So, fast shutter speeds, fast lenses (you got), and lots of light.
    Hi Peter,

When I mean that it is focus on his right eye, I mean the right eye from OUR perspective, so from his perspective left eye. Is this the eye you don't think is in focus? I think the eye on our right is the sharpest.

Also just a quick note, does anybody think I have over processed the image? I have recently been playing with levels, curves etc. in Aperture 3.

Thanks,
    Taylor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post

As I do a lot of competition shooting, I activate the shutter just as I do with a trigger - a slow deliberate action. Push for a shutter, pull for a trigger.

Even so.....I too have the 24-105 L lens, and cured slight blurring by upping the shutter speed.
    Canon 6D
    Canon 40D
    16-35 L 2.8 11 USM
    24-105 L IS USM
    70-200 2.8 L IS USM 11

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast