User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is the average price for wedding shoots?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trigger View Post
    Yes he is very well marketed. The photos on the site arent all his. He has a large team shooting for him.

Any way. to answer your question a typical price I charge for

1. E-session (Pre-weddings) approx $700.
    2. Typical Weddings - $1.5k+ 1/2 day (More for ethnic weddings and whole days)
    3. Location shoots +$500 on the day
    so your pricing is discriminatory based on ethnicity/race or culture? If that is the case, I find your ethics disgraceful.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trigger View Post
    Yes he is very well marketed. The photos on the site arent all his. He has a large team shooting for him.

Any way. to answer your question a typical price I charge for

1. E-session (Pre-weddings) approx $700.
    2. Typical Weddings - $1.5k+ 1/2 day (More for ethnic weddings and whole days)
    3. Location shoots +$500 on the day

Its all about what the couple wants and to communicate with the photographer. e.g. I had to charge more for exotic locations and high risk areas like having to shoot over-water.

Is your price for the typical wedding final productions in printing or soft-copy?
    Nikon D70 Nikon D300
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 | Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 ED | Nikon 50mm f1.8D | | Nikon 50mm f1.4D

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    which country is your friend from?

pretty much any wedding photography business has an almost 'worldwide' business ethics and conducts, the only difference is in price - and in western countries those prices are very similar ie. US or AUS or UK

unless hes a wedding photographer from Vietnam or Cambodia, then thats a different story with rates
    Currently, my friend is from Malaysia.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mwkh View Post
    My friend interested to shoot some wedding in Australia to gain more experience.
    I think this is the statement we need to know more about before anyone here can give you an informed answer. You say your friend is interested in coming here to gain more experience, well how much current experience do they have? Have they ever shot a wedding? Have they done a few as the second photographer? Do they have a budding wedding photography business that is starting to make some money, but they want to branch out and expand, including Australia in that expansion. Or have they got years of experience as wedding photographer but only within their own culture?

The reason these questions are so important to the final answers given is this; A beginner seeking experience should work as a second photographer, under another wedding photographer to start with, and thus could expect a set hourly rate for their help on the day, etc. A photographer with years of experience but only with their own culture could easily come into Aus and start getting weddings to shoot, as their portfolio of existing work would come into play as to what they could charge.

The other difficulty here is time! Most couples plan their wedding days months and years on advance. They like to meet the photographer over this time, often 3-5 meetings take place before the big day. Is your friend going to be able to do that? Does this mean they will move to Aus for a long period of time, or fly in and out of the country? What costs are associated with this? Who pays for this? the client?

Another thing that no-one has mentioned. Your friend would need a visa to work in Aus, presuming they are not an Australian Citizen (probably a 457 visa), any income would need to be declared and tax paid on it. Often (but not in all cases, depending on the visa sub type) your friend may be required to pay tax at the highest rate, or at least a higher rate than an Australian citizen earning the same amount would pay. They would need insurance..try getting insurance in Australia using a 457 visa, it will cost a lot! or do they already have insurance in Malaysia that they can add an international working component to, and if so, how much does that cost. All this has to be factored into the price charged to the client.

All the above goes to saying, that without full disclosure about your friend's circumstances, experience and position, we cannot in any way give you an 'average' price. Cause the average price may not cover anywhere near all his/her expenses involved in being an international photographer.
    Last edited by ricktas; 29-08-2010 at 9:47am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not discriminatory, its about tailoring the package

Its the details with the clients, not just their race. So eg. If they are SE Asian chances are there is a 2 tea ceremonies before the wedding ceremony so extra travel and hours. Also the Banquet could last till 1 am before the thing ends. So could turn out to be a 12+hr day.
    And so another Indian one could hold a Henna ceremony which is about 4hrs, etc
    Then there are orthodox ones where I will need to rent fast lens as they dont allow flashes in the churches.

Starting to see the details?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    so your pricing is discriminatory based on ethnicity/race or culture? If that is the case, I find your ethics disgraceful.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123