User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: photo paper

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

photo paper

I have the Canon PRO9500 Mark II printer and was wondering if anyone else has that printer. The reason being I would like suggestions as to which photo papers to use for the best results. I would like to use a semi gloss/pearl/satin range of papers. Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don't do much printing at home but even through a very cheap Canon printer the Ilford Galerie smooth gloss papers give very good results.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Greg, I am looking at this printer at the moment, what are your thoughts on it as a pro printer and do you find it expensive to feed.

Thanks

Andrew
    C&C are welcome on everything I post
    If you always do, What you have always done, You will always have, What you have always had
    Canon 400D - Canon 5D Mark II - 70-200 2.8L - 100 -400L - 1.4 Extender - 100mm 2.8 Macro - Kit Rubbish - 580EXII - and the machine that goes "PING"

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Andrew, I'm rapt with the printer. Ink usage is an unknown but I find it reasonably economical. I have 3 other printers I use, depending on the quality and output I'm after. I tend to use the 9500 for A3 and A4 only. I get the inks for $21 each which is OK I guess. One of the most economical printers I have heard of is the Epson 3880 (just under $2000) which have the large ink tanks (80ml) at just over $100 each (9 tanks). That's $1.25/ml. Canon, at 14ml is about $1.50/ml.
    It all gets down to brand preferences.
    This site will explain the yield and method used for the 9500. http://www.canon-europe.com/ink/Yiel...0_Mark_II.aspx

I hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    We don't do much printing at home but even through a very cheap Canon printer the Ilford Galerie smooth gloss papers give very good results.

We have a 4880 and after a few years of ilford pearl, id find it pretty hard to get something better. I dare say that there is something better, Im satisfied with what I use

I would love to try their gold fibre papers though....
    Last edited by GoldenOrb; 15-12-2010 at 12:00am.
    I have one of those thingys.... you know... that take ummmmm... pictures....??!?
    and oh yeh, some other stuff

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ilford is good, and if you want to go for something different, the Canson range is an interesting adventure, including cottons and even a canvas that can go through inkjets.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ilford galerie Smooth Pearl paper is a popular choice, it works well when used with either dye or pigment based inks. It is an instant drying paper it has a fine "tooth" to it and due to it's semi-matt surface D-max is very good, almost as good as what you get with gloss papers. It is prone to scuffing as most micro-porus papers tend to be. For large prints I'm not a fan of gloss papers, reflections from the paper surface degrade the viewing experience.

There are also some papers from Harman I would consider looking into, they make fiber based baryta* coated papers that produce truly stunning results. Ilford also make Gold fibre silk which is one of the best papers I have ever worked with (very expensive though) And once you print on a fiber based paper you will find it difficult to settle for anything less.

*baruim sulfate used as a paper whitener in fiber based darkroom papers. I don't like the amount of OBE's (optical brightness enhancers) used in some "archival" papers these days. I'm am grateful that baryta has appeared in digital printing media, OBE's tend to yellow with UV exposure and in a neutral B&W print such yellowing can have undesirable effects on an image.