Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clarifying grey?

Relative to Aust, grey's obviously any product that's purchased not through the official importer channels.

But consider the following scenario?
    1. Buying a US model camera online from BH (located in US) but sent directly to Aust.
    2. Buying a US model camera online from BH but sent to a US address then either forwarded by post or in person to Aust.
    3. Buying any products in the country that it was officially imported to, whilst in that country. Eg. Buying a HK product while in HK.

As far as I know, whatever's considered a grey product won't be repaired at all by the official manufacturer in or out of warranty.
    But if it's not considered grey but bought in a different country, does warranty repairs get sorted in whichever country you're in or sent back to country of origin. Does this differ based on the product eg. I've heard optical products eg. Lenses are treated differently to digital products eg. DSLRs.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you buy from an Australian based grey importer (i.e. they have an ABN) they are subject to Australian (state) consumer law.

If it's an online/eBay store all bets are off.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep.. Understood. There's no doubt the products from aust based grey importers are grey and won't be serviced by the official manufacturer repairers, but through their own technicians.
    What I'm trying to determine is when it is not considered grey.
    In my scenario I would think 1 is grey but 2 and 3 arn't but have no literature to clarify.
    But it also raises the question even if it isn't grey, will the product need to be sent back to the country it was bought if repairs are needed. Another way of putting it is, I buy an aust import Nikon in aust but say I moved overseas and have a problem. Can I get my warranty or non-warranty repairs done in that country or must I send it back to Aust.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a general rule, most manufacturers issue a country of origin warranty.

So for warranty repairs the unit would need to be returned to that country.

I think you will find it is only a warranty repair issue, I would think that Canon/Nikon etc would repair, for a fee, any unit.
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is I've heard, at least with Nikon USA that if a product is determined grey, Nikon won't repair it, period. Fee or no fee.
    So that's why I wanted to clarify what grey means in this age of Internet sales.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, but we are not in the USA ??

There are other options, the best one, ring Nikon Aust and ask, 2 Anderson's or similar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I currently have a grey D2x in with Nikon Australia for repair.

I've had the repair quote and have asked that they proceede with the repairs.

No problems (or even mention) of it being Grey so far. I'll let you know if anything is said/refused.

Paul
    Australian Nature Photography

Nikon D7000
    Nikkor 12-24, Nikkor 28-70/2.8, Nikkor 50/1.8, Tamron 60/2, Sigma 100-300/4, Sigma 180/3.5 macro, Nikkor 500/4, 1.4x TC, 1.7x TC

(Comments And Critique On My Images Most Welcome)

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NikonUser View Post
    I currently have a grey D2x in with Nikon Australia for repair.

I've had the repair quote and have asked that they proceede with the repairs.

No problems (or even mention) of it being Grey so far. I'll let you know if anything is said/refused.

Paul
    Thanks Paul. U should have no problems. Read my last post, just spoke with Nikon Aust.
    Cheers

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark: I know but I'm considering buying from the US cos I have friends and family there and may be travelling to oz. Since it's the case with Nikon USA I just wondered if that was nikon's general policy or otherwise. Or other camera manufacturer's policy for that matter if I buy other things.
    Anyways..I did just get off the phone with Nikon Aust and this is what I'm told.
    Nikon now do service grey models but nothing under warranty. U gotta pay.
    All electronic products have warranty for country of issue only so scenarios 1,2&3 are all considered grey as far as Nikon Aust is concerned. They are only official (non-grey) for their country of import.
    For lenses and speedlites however, they have international warranties as long as they were bought through the official importers in that country and can be serviced under warranty here in Aust and not considered grey.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canon will honor the warranty on any lens (regardless of where it came from) but not cameras.
    Amateurs care about sharpness
    Professionals care about sales
    Photographers care about light

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not 100% correct. My 17-55mm IS f2.8 warranty card had HK on it and the Canon Ryde said no to warranty service. There are cards that have International Warranty on them but I've only ever seen them on L lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokey View Post
    Canon will honor the warranty on any lens (regardless of where it came from) but not cameras.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just KNEW someone was going to say that LOL.

This comes up three or four times a year (on various forums). There is a statement, somewhere, on Canon Australia's website that states that they will honor the warranty of any lens regardless of where it is purchased etc... but not cameras.

I would find it for you, but it takes me an hour or two every time and I just can't face it right now LOL. It is a pdf, I remember that much :-)

Quote Originally Posted by trigger View Post
    Not 100% correct. My 17-55mm IS f2.8 warranty card had HK on it and the Canon Ryde said no to warranty service. There are cards that have International Warranty on them but I've only ever seen them on L lenses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish it was the case with Grey import lenses. but just call 13 13 83 yourself or walk into the service area of the Ryde centre and ask, they will tell you what i told you.

I've already this battle with Canon AU before. I ended just just shipping it back to Canon HK

Quote Originally Posted by Hokey View Post
    I just KNEW someone was going to say that LOL.

I would find it for you, but it takes me an hour or two every time and I just can't face it right now LOL. It is a pdf, I remember that much :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trigger View Post
    I wish it was the case with Grey import lenses. but just call 13 13 83 yourself or walk into the service area of the Ryde centre and ask, they will tell you what i told you.

I've already this battle with Canon AU before. I ended just just shipping it back to Canon HK
    I knew someone was going to say that, too.

There is a statement, and I have used it myself. I fly all over the world for work, and buy stuff from wherever I am at the time. Whenever I need to service a lens I find and print out a copy of the statement saying they WILL do it, and staple it to the service request when I send my lens in. They have honored it every single time.

The letter in on my machine at home, next time I am there I will upload a copy of it

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anyone knows about other manufacturer's policy regarding grey models, feel free to chime. Should make a good reference.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some info from the Nikon AU website:
    http://www.nikon.com.au/pagearticle....=65-52b9b66212

as opposed to the Nikon USA policy:
    http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answ...gray-market%3F
    "Additionally Nikon Inc. USA cannot perform any fee-based repair work on Gray Market items"

Glad we have different policies here in Aust.