Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Holga?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holga?

I did it. I ordered a Holga 135BC!

I've been shooting with my Canon 450D for the last 3 years and haven't used film for quite a while. I'm just wondering if you guys can point me in the right direction film wise for my little holga friend? I'm wanting to get stuck into some black and white stuff, and I won't be processing it myself, although I'd love to do that someday, loved being in the dark room when I was studying....

Have you got any tips for me when I'm looking for some film? And what are your thoughts on expired film? I saw some on ebay the other day, a mixed bag including film expired from 1996, would film this old really still be ok?

Looking forward to hearing from you
    Emma
    I'm a Canon Girl!
    30D + 450D

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    the local camera store! Well here in Hobart there are several city camera stores that stock a great range of film, 110, 35mm, medium format and large format, so any city camera store worth walking into, should have some
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol. Thanks Ricktas! I sound like a noob huh. I just don't really know what ASA or brands are good. I know I'm after 35mm.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ASA is an old term. ISO is the equivalent. So just like digital, the higher the ASA/ISO the more grain in your photos, which can be a good thing for a holga. Are you looking for black and white, or colour film?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    holga works great with expired film, then cross processed, but i've mainly shot b&w in mine. if you aren't going to develop yourself, then i'd stick with a c41 film such as kodak bw400cn. you say you want 35mm, but most holga's are medium format, and that means 120 film. i assume that you're using a hybrid workflow. if you aren't, and traditional prints is what you're after, then ignore my suggestion of the c41 film, and stick with standard black and white film such as Ilford hp5 or delta 3200.

btw..you don't need a dark room to develop film.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd stick with fresh film, FP4 would be good, until you're at ease with your camera. Then you can begin to experiment.
    Alive and still clicking - apologies to PSQ.
    Living and working in the Roaring Forties
    Assorted cameras of all sizes and shapes including Pentax K (the original), MX, Z1,K20D; 50mm 1.2, 35mm 2.0, 85mm 1.8

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your help Tom and StanW
    It's definitely a 35mm. I will try FP4 first and see how I go
    Thanks Tom for the B+W film info!!

Can't wait till it arrives!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have a Holga 135BC. When you get it, make sure there is plenty of light when you are shooting or they wont turn out. Actually, a lot of the photos might not turn out but don't let that put you off.

Remember to experiment with plenty of double exposures and also try not advancing the film all the way to the next frame but just part way through for some strange effects. I haven't really had a go with long exposure yet.

I bought a wide angle lens for the Holga off eBay for about $14. I am yet to finish a roll with it yet but I'll let you know how it goes!
    Nikon D90
    Nikon AF 50mm f1.8 D
    Tamron 17-50mm f2.8
    ---
    Holga 135BC

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow yes I will look out for your wide angle holga posts :-)

Thanks for the light tip, I have seen a lot of shots on Flickr so I am kind of expecting to get some pretty different results, but it's going to be fun working it all out :-)

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    emzlouise, i've got a couple of rolls of kodak 400 c41 film you can have if you want. i just won't use it. it has just expired, but i've kept it in the fridge, so should be good for a couple of years. pm me if you want it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emzlouise View Post
    It's definitely a 35mm. I will try FP4 first and see how I go
    Quote Originally Posted by thegumbootman View Post
    I bought a wide angle lens for the Holga off eBay for about $14.
    You learn something every day. I didn't know Holgas were available in 35mm (FP4 is great - hope you like the results), nor did I know there were accessory lenses available.

I'm curious to see the output.
    The world is an AMAZING place . . .
    flickr :: panoramio

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennSan View Post
    You learn something every day. I didn't know Holgas were available in 35mm (FP4 is great - hope you like the results), nor did I know there were accessory lenses available.

I'm curious to see the output.
    There is also a tele lens, a few close-up lenses and a fisheye lens. They fisheye on eBay is about $35 with the extra viewfinder, the rest are all about $13-ish I think.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put the test films in for processing today, will pick them up on Monday!! Looking forward to seeing what I get!! Ended up buying some 400 film from Big W to start with. Once I see the results and know what I am going to get out of the camera I'll be looking at getting some good film

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban Nikon91ride's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been shooting a variety of film on my 120 Holga, when shooting high ISO films for grain bare in mind you have limited exposure control, with a choice of about 1\100 @ F8 or 11 means that in daytime, 100-200 is all you can really go to in Aus. sun. If your shooting at night you can go higher.

I recently put some 400 ISO black and white film and had to pull it about 2 stops in development and put the contrast back in through post.

Ilford is always a good bet as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put the test films in for processing today, will pick them up on Monday!! Looking forward to seeing what I get!! Ended up buying some 400 film from Big W to start with. Once I see the results and know what I am going to get out of the camera I'll be looking at getting some good film
    How did your first excursion turn out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did it. I ordered a Holga 135BC!

I've been shooting with my Canon 450D for the last 3 years and haven't used film for quite a while. I'm just wondering if you guys can point me in the right direction film wise for my little holga friend? I'm wanting to get stuck into some black and white stuff, and I won't be processing it myself, although I'd love to do that someday, loved being in the dark room when I was studying....

Have you got any tips for me when I'm looking for some film? And what are your thoughts on expired film? I saw some on ebay the other day, a mixed bag including film expired from 1996, would film this old really still be ok?

Looking forward to hearing from you
    emz, have a look at Blanconegro for film stock, they have a good range and Chris provides great service, and will post items to you, he also is able to supply chemicals that would let you try developing your own B+W films, get yourself a dark tank from ebay (about 15 dollars) and give it a go. if you have a iphone there are some great apps that help with the timing and temperature aspects of film develpment. MaxdevChart is well worth getting.

regards richard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you posted any of your Holga shots here yet? Am I allowed to post you a link to the Holga section of my gallery?
    bren

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you posted any of your Holga shots here yet? Am I allowed to post you a link to the Holga section of my gallery?
    bren

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    would love to see your Holga photos! huge fan of holga cams here too