Tonight I I had a heart flutter with my new 50D. I thought I had a dead pixel in the sensor.

I took some photos as it got dark tonight - iso playing with the 50. When I uploaded them I noticed there was what looked like one pixel was white against the dark background. So took some more test shots and it appeared really bad in some and not hardly noticeable in others. I was on the vurge of taking the camera in on Monday to enquire about the issue.
The photo above has a star around the issue, a bit harder to notice but more prevelant in the full raw image. Now the weird part.

This evening I was using my 50D with the 70-200L when I discovered this issue.

For waht ever reason, my workflow brought up some photos I took in Sydney a month or so ago and there I see the same issue.
What tha - then I realise the Syd shots were taken with my 400D and Tamron 17-50. This made me happy as now I realise my shiny new 50 is not at fault.

The other odd thing is, I see the dot in PSE7 until I go to edit and the raw viewer does not show the dot nor do edit. I first noticed the dot when I opened the images in Digital Photo professional and I think this may also introduce the anormality back into the raw file. If I save from DPP it actuall saves the white dot to the jpeg.

If I open the raw in PSE7 and save it to jpeg I do not see it in either raw or the saved jpeg. I have tested my monitor and there is no dead pixels.

I have no idea but this is driving me crazy. I also now notice that image noise seems to show much worse in DPP than in PSE7 and now I think DPP has been giving me a phase impression of how much noise are in low light photos with my 50D.

I hope I have explained this clearly and hope someone can help - it is driving me insane. NOTE: the dot may be a bit hard to see in the reduced size jpeg but it is in the middle of the star.

Mike