User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Knock Knock any Leica M9 users out their

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Knock Knock any Leica M9 users out their

Wondering if their any Leica digital users on the forum ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, an M9.

Anyone else?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Digital M8 and M9. Though I own 6 M3's, 2 M6 TTL's, 1 M7 and six Hexar RF's. And a few of them even have film in them, so I often pack one into my bag whenever I head out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got any example shots of taken by the M3? I've interested in getting one cause they look so cool but i'd also like to take some shots with it... looking for a SS with a 50mm summicron

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kjeems View Post
    Got any example shots of taken by the M3? I've interested in getting one cause they look so cool but i'd also like to take some shots with it... looking for a SS with a 50mm summicron

Whether you use Leica M3, or any other M based film rangefinder (Including Voigtlander Bessa) you will get the same result. What matters is the film and the lens that you attach to the camera. The camera is just a box with a shutter and a viewfinder.

To answer the OP, I don't have M9 but I'm very happy with my M8. I used to shoot with Pentax between 2006-2010 but sold it all and bought into Leica. Currently have Zeiss 25mm f/2.8 Biogon, Leica 35mm f/1.4 Summilux ASPH II (FLE), Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux ASPH. I shoot film as well with a Voigtlander Bessa R2A.
    Last edited by Voe; 22-01-2011 at 9:23pm.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    The world is going to pieces and people like Adams and Weston are photographing rocks! - Henri Cartier-Bresson (during the 1930’s)

Voe's photos on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had an M9, sold it, will be selling my M8 soon, great cameras but I can't justify the $$$ for the amount I photograph. Im very happy with using a NEX-5 with rangefinder glass instead and an M2 with film
    C & C always welcome / Matte Mac User / Leica M2 - M8 - 28mm 2.8 Elmarit ASPH / Voigtlander 35mm 2.5 Skopar / Sony NEX-5 - 16mm 2.8 - 18-55 Kit - A mount adaptor - 30mm Macro / Rayqual E-mount to Leica M adaptor

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sold my M9 as well dont know what all the fuss was about . Have Fuji X100 on order

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a Leica M8.2 at the start of the year, I carry it everywhere with me and have been photographing almost exclusively with it. Really enjoy it a lot more than my Canon 7D. Oddly enough I have a Panasonic LX5 compact which I have enjoyed immensely as well. I used to carry that around everywhere before purchasing the Leica.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lensbaby View Post
    Sold my M9 as well dont know what all the fuss was about . Have Fuji X100 on order
    The x100 looks awesome! Can't wait to see real world samples from it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a look at some the the Fuji X100 samples and to my eyes they looked good for out of camera jpeg files. But I feel it's raw output in ACR will be a real test of the overall image quality.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Voe View Post
    I'm very happy with my M8. Leica 35mm f/1.4 Summilux ASPH II (FLE), Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux ASPH.

Why are you buying such high quality lenses and wasting their potential on a crop body?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    because Leica doesn't make any lenses specifically for APS-H, and they never will - besides APS-H isn't much smaller than FF, it's really a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. I use the M9, but sometimes I will use the M8 because it is actually quite good for IR photography. I use pentax SMCP FA31mm f/1.8 Limited on an APS-C camera and I don't really care if I'm not using it's full imaging circle - on APS-C it's going to have far better corner resolution than any DX lens of similar focal length.
    Last edited by Othrelos; 24-03-2011 at 5:03pm.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Othrelos View Post
    because Leica doesn't make any lenses specifically for APS-H, and they never will - besides APS-H isn't much smaller than FF, it's really a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. I use the M9, but sometimes I will use the M8 because it is actually quite good for IR photography. I use pentax SMCP FA31mm f/1.8 Limited on an APS-C camera and I don't really care if I'm not using it's full imaging circle - on APS-C it's going to have far better corner resolution than any DX lens of similar focal length.
    And I am sure I am not alone on AP, hoping that you will show us some of this photography you so often talk about?
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    And I am sure I am not alone on AP, hoping that you will show us some of this photography you so often talk about?

With all due respect, as I recall this thread is about discussing the Leica M9, I take offence that you are singling me out to display my photographs in order to justify my comments about photography and my critiques on the photographs of others. Ricnak, Voe, DanNG and Bromeo do not have galleries either, they have been on this site much longer than I* and yet you do not ask them to post their work.

*(with the exception of voe)
    Last edited by Othrelos; 27-03-2011 at 12:20am.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With all due respect, as I recall this thread is about discussing the Leica M9, I take offence that you are singling me out to display my photographs in order to justify my comments about photography and my critiques on the photographs of others. Ricnak, Voe, DanNG and Bromeo do not have galleries either, they have been on this site much longer than I* and yet you do not ask them to post their work.

Bromeo was banned three weeks ago, and prior to this member's site rules breach and hence short stay on AP at least has shared some images to this site during his short stay.
    Ricnak, Dan and voe all have posted images here, and even though their site stats indicate that they all have a much lower post rate, they all have infinitely higher number of images they they've shared on AP, than yourself.

So with the current level of statistics, as an average, you have posted approximately 3x as many posts as the next highest poster in that group of members you've singled out, and 10x as many posts as the member with the lowest post count in that group, when averaged out, you've basically posted 5x as much as the other members, and they all have at least 5 or more images displayed on AP.

So your point is???

if, for some reason you feel 'singled out' this could be as a result of a mild level of paranoia due to some clandestine element in your photography?
    The basic theory is one where, if you feel a need to hide your photography behind a veil of secrecy, then you obviously have something to hide.
    If you have something to hide I can personally vouch for a few members thoughts and feeling, as well as moderators, that we don't particularly feel comfortable replying to someone's posts when there's a high probability that they could be vapourmembers, and the feeling that finally remains is that we have been typing to ourselves for no good reason .... then in this case, and in general, AusPhotography is not a good place to hang out.

There are many other photography sites where a high level of anonymity is highly recommended(I can recommend DPR's forum boards as an 'interesting' way to spend a few relaxing hours of 'productive' photography related chat).

I recently went back through a lot of your historical posts to make sense of some of them, and in having done so, found myself in the unbearable position of having regretted this wasteful endeavour.
    Left me with a great sense of confusion, if you don't mind my honest opinion. At least it gave me a bit of a laugh tho.

Don't concern yourself as to the activities of others, that's the moderators team job description.
    If you believe that other member's activity on this site aren't as honourable as yours are, then you have an option to report those members.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

With all due respect, I am having a hard time matching your talk to your walk. All you ever do is talk gear and how much of if you have, yet we have no idea if you have even the slightest skills to use that gear you so proudly post about at every opportunity. Ausphotography is a Photography forum, not a gear head forum, thus I would love to see some of the actual photos you take with all that gear. You are presenting yourself on this site as one who knows his gear, and therefore the onus is on you to prove it, by showing us what you can do with the gear.

If you feel I am picking on you, feel free to head to another forum. After all we are not seeing photos now, so won't miss what we don't have!

PS, you dont need a Gallery to post photos for critique. Maybe Click FORUM on the menu and scroll down and look at the Members Photos Forums, you might be surpised what you find!
    Last edited by ricktas; 27-03-2011 at 9:59am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bromeo View Post
    Why are you buying such high quality lenses and wasting their potential on a crop body?
    My reasoning is as follows:
    - Digital camera bodies depreciate with time.
    - Leica lenses keep their price and often appreciate with time.

Since Leica lenses and cameras are so expensive, I had to think of a strategy to acquire the stuff I wanted while minimizing the pain in my wallet.

I bought a second hand M8 for 2400 instead of paying 7000 for M9 with the money saved I funded my lenses purchase. Now I have all the lenses I want, so this is a big win.
    If I bought the M9 I would not have money to buy the lenses I want and would probably shoot with lenses that I didn't like. In a few years my dream Leica lenses would get more unaffordable and the M9 will loose it's value.

On the other hand 1.3 crop is not much smaller than a FF so I'm not wasting as much as 1.5 or 1.6 crop.
    Anyway, my plan is to shoot with the M8 and upgrade to a used M9 when Leica introduces the next digital M or when M9 becomes cheaper second hand.

I'm coming from Pentax 1.5 crop factor where most of my favorite lenses were FF. So I consider the Leica 1.3 crop a slight upgrade.
    Last edited by Voe; 06-04-2011 at 12:36am.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The eagle has landed