8 20.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GalaxyS OR iphone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iPhone 3gs + Photoshop express = fun
    A heap of Nikon stuff and some really bright lights!

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 41jas View Post
    With the apps Rick, I was told the Samsung has around 3000 and the iphone has like 10,000. But then again...what would you want?
    Actually...

There are now around 110,000 apps on the Android market, it is growing at an insane rate these days..

And there are currently around 245,000 apps on the Apple iPhone market...

Quote Originally Posted by ollie View Post
    iPhone 3gs + Photoshop express = fun
    Yes this is a free app on the Android market too.. for Adobe for making it free...
    Last edited by joele; 17-08-2010 at 9:43pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Android power all the way. I have a HTC Desire and I LOOOVE it!
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Still plenty of them around Hobart.
    wow you are kidding non here in Goulburn (not a big surprise) non in the national capital either.

I'm happy to what if I have to though.

Cheers
    Danny

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My top used Apps (in no particular order)

* Photocalc - Lots of camera related info about settings, includes sunset/sunrise times etc (what every landscaper needs)
    * Motion GPS - Good and cheap GPS system that includes walking tracks etc as well as roads
    * Pocket Weather - Good weather App
    * Tapatalk - Forum App that AP is setup to run in, makes browsing forums easy
    * CommBank App - get balances, do transfers, pay bills
    * ABC - News, can even watch live news
    * Around me -find the nearest cafe, atm, pharmacy, pub, petrol station and more
    * HD Cam, lets me sync iPhone and iPad and control iPhone camera from iPad and save the photos on the iPad
    * Plants Vs Zombies - addictive game

All up I have just under 50 apps on my phone, some I use rarely, but they are handy, like my health insurance company one, the AusPost one, which lets me use B-Pay on my phone etc. I use them rarely, but they come in handy from time to time.

Yes there are thousands of Apps, but what percentage of those that you would use is really dependant on what you want to do with your phone.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just about to get a HTC Desire (now that Nexus ones are basically impossible to get locally). I prefer Android over iOS as it comes from the open source world and I don't like being locked into an "eco-system" that is controlled by one company.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by campo View Post
    I'm just about to get a HTC Desire (now that Nexus ones are basically impossible to get locally). I prefer Android over iOS as it comes from the open source world and I don't like being locked into an "eco-system" that is controlled by one company.
    Interesting, yet you buy a camera brand that has a unique lens mounting system, yes you can buy lenses from other makers, but so can you buy apps for other makers

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jules, seems to me that the main thing you want here is a camera not a phone.

If it is a camera you want, it is a camera you should buy, seriously get yourself a pocket sized point and shoot,
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correct you are Rick, however it goes beyond the "app store".

With my Nikon cameras I'm not locked into having to use Nikon software on my computer. To activate an iPhone you need iTunes, to sync or transfer files you need iTunes (or at least have it installed on your computer for the 3rd party syncing tools).

I also have the choice of using industry standard cables (ie. USB / HDMI) rather then having to purchase proprietary connectors/docks etc...last time i checked, the closest iPhones have got to standard cables is a 3.5mm audio output.

I don't deny that Apple make great products, but as you may have guessed, nothing irks me more then having to buy proprietary cables or install proprietary software on all my computers every time I get a new device - hence why I lean towards the non-i-side of life.
    Last edited by campo; 18-08-2010 at 11:18am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And another consideration is you can't view websites that use flash player ...unless you jailbreak, I'm told.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkChap View Post

If it is a camera you want, it is a camera you should buy, seriously get yourself a pocket sized point and shoot,
    There's two reasons I want a camera in my phone:

1. I'm carrying my phone anyway, I'd rather not have a camera in my bag as well.
    2. So I can upload photos I take straight to Facebook without having to go home to do it. It's great to be able to share photos of things that are around me, as they're happening, with my folks back in the US. They do the same thing, and that way we feel more in touch.

Just my 2ยข worth.
    Michaela

Comments and critique always welcome and appreciated.

My photos on Flickr
    Canon 5D Mk III | 7D | Assorted Canon Lenses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Android power all the way. I have a HTC Desire and I LOOOVE it!
    I agree, I have the HTC Desire, besides all the usual iphone vs desire rant crap the one thing that sold it for me was...its not produced by apple.

If you are in the market for the new iphone, don't rule out the HTC desire as an option, I also believe optus will also be releasing it soon too, currently only on Helstra (plan wise anyway, buying outright different kettle of fish)
    Some Nikon stuff... gerrys photo journey
    https://plus.google.com/+GerardBlacklock
    No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerry View Post
    currently only on Helstra (plan wise anyway, buying outright different kettle of fish)
    Vodafone have the Google Nexus One available from their online store. The Nexus One is made by HTC and is basically identical to the HTC Desire minus the HTC software.

That said, Vodafone have sold out of the Nexus Ones...not sure when the next batch will come through.

The days of one manufacturer dominating the smart phone market are coming to an end...definitely worth looking around now.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkChap View Post

You know Mark...I've been thinking of all options and that is one of them.
    Can you sell me one cheap...LOL
    Thanks for looking....Cheers,
    Julie-Anne / Julie / Jules / Julesy / JAS

MY ..... MY BLOG..... Feel free to look.
    Canon 40D / 24-105mm L IS / 70-200mm L IS / 75-300mm / 50mm 1.8 / Sigma 10-20mm / Manfrotto tripod / Bits and pieces to fill the bag.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    in the end they are phones, they take photos and have apps that you can use. Just pick one and buy it...hehe

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaela View Post
    There's two reasons I want a camera in my phone:

1. I'm carrying my phone anyway, I'd rather not have a camera in my bag as well.
    2. So I can upload photos I take straight to Facebook without having to go home to do it. It's great to be able to share photos of things that are around me, as they're happening, with my folks back in the US. They do the same thing, and that way we feel more in touch.

Just my 2ยข worth.
    This is why I'm thinking a camera in a phone...It's all in one. especially when I use my main camera when it counts. It's just in case I haven't got that on me. Plus the phone I have is really bad and takes so many steps just to send a text and the camera on it you can't down the pics.
    It's either putting up with that and buying a camera or buying one that will do both.
    Ivan needs one to. He's using my old phone but needs a sim card which is a whole $2 worth. He doesn't use a phone much so he's happy with either phone just in case he needs to make a cal which is hardly ever.
    I suppose I will work it out in the end.
    It's like saying why do you need a ipad when you have a laptop? That's another story.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in the end they are phones, they take photos and have apps that you can use. Just pick one and buy it...hehe
    I thought your great knowledge would help me Rick....

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting, yet you buy a camera brand that has a unique lens mounting system, yes you can buy lenses from other makers, but so can you buy apps for other makers
    I don't really want to get into this argument.. honestly I don't.. LOL...

BUT

You can only buy apps from other makers (developers) IF apple approves that their customers are allowed to have that application AND you can only buy those apps through Apples marketplace. Yes you can unlock your phone (jailbreak) and get software on in other ways but Apple say they will not honor you warranty then.. They also tried in America to apply the DMCA to go after people who jailbreak their phones (and help others to do so) but in a surprising move the American courts ruled against Apple.
    Last edited by joele; 18-08-2010 at 1:34pm.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joele View Post
    I don't really want to get into this argument.. honestly I don't.. LOL...

BUT

You can only buy apps from other makers (developers) IF apple approves that their customers are allowed to have that application AND you can only buy those apps through Apples marketplace. Yes you can unlock your phone (jailbreak) and get software on in other ways but Apple say they will not honor you warranty then.. They also tried in America to apply the DMCA to go after people who jailbreak their phones (and help others to do so) but in a surprising move the American courts ruled against Apple.
    No argument here. I bought an iPhone and it works well for me. I don't really care what brand of phone anyone else owns or uses. Same as what brand of car my friends drive. They are my friends for who they are, not what brand of phone, car, camera or clothing they own or use.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought an iPhone and it works well for me. I don't really care what brand of phone anyone else owns or uses. Same as what brand of car my friends drive. They are my friends for who they are, not what brand of phone, car, camera or clothing they own or use.
    I agree 100%..

My only disagreement was with the idea that Apple is not a more closed ecosystem than most...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast