User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: CF card - which one to get?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CF card - which one to get?

I am wanting to purchase another CF card, after looking on Cheap as Chips (AP Advertiser), I have found 2 possibles, they are different brands

Sandisk Extreme Pro 16GB 90MB $242.95 (http://www.cheapchips.com.au/memory/...-90mb-sec.html)
    or
    Lexmar Pro UDMA 16GB 45MB $139.95 (http://www.cheapchips.com.au/memory/...pactflash.html)

Can someone tell me (other then the obvious write speed) what is the 'Better' brand. I have only Sandisk at the moment. And is the difference in the write speed a big deal if I am not taking photos of fast moving objects

Thanks in advance
    Rachel
    Canon 50D/ 5DMK2; 24-70 f2.8L; 18-200 IS (kit); 50 f1.8 II; Sigma 10-20; 430 EXII; Lowepro bags; plus other accessories
    LR3, CS5 & PSE6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always found Sandisk to be great

Re the write speed, depends on the camera write speed whether it will take advantage of it, and as far as I know most cameras only go write up to 30mps

I wouldnt get a 16GB card myself, I prefer multiple 8GB cards, less eggs all in the one basket so to speak
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Darren for your comments, you may be on the mark with eggs all in one basket.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for Sandisk.

I have a handful of the Sandisk Extreme Ducatti cards. Very fast and have performed flawlessly. I don't think these are available any more, but there would be equivelants out there.

A good quality card reader is also handy. I bought one of these which probably helps with high transfer speeds.

EDIT:
    I bought the cards locally, but the reader came from eBay. You have to be REALLY careful buying flash-media on eBay, but these guys have great feedback.

1800Memory
    Adam.

AGSPhotos.com

Using Nikon & PS CS5.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't speak for their CF cards, but I've had a Lexar SD card and it has performed flawlessly for the last 2 years. Came with a great little USB adapter which I use on all my SD cards...

Lexar are a reputable company that have been in the business for a long time. I've read (unconfirmed) that (1) they hold the patent for 'memory sticks' and (2) they supply memory sticks to Sony.
    --
    Nikon D90
    Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II, Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
    Nikon SB-700 Speedlight
    RRS BH-55 Ballhead & B2 AS II Clamp
    (no legs yet)

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a recent review of memory cards, PhotoPlus Magazine (Issue #34) rated SanDisk Extreme as their best on test. They found that it was faster than the Lexar Pro and the Sandisk Extreme Pro.
    They are only $78.95 for 8Gb at Cheapchips. You could afford to buy several.
    They just happen to be the ones that I use too.
    Last edited by Cliff; 19-08-2010 at 3:38pm. Reason: Additional information.
    Cliff
    CC always appreciated
    gear: 7D, 400D, 17-55mm IS, 100mm Macro L IS, 70-300mm DO IS, EF 12II and EF 25II Extension Tubes, 580 EX II Speedlite, Printers - Pro9500 Mk II, MX396
    Tokina 11-16 f2.8, Tamron 18-270, Vanguard AltaPro 263AT Tripod with GH-100 Pistol Grip Ball Head, Benro C-058 Tripod and J-1 Ballhead, Velbon Ultrastick 50LX Monopod
    LR5, PS CC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charton View Post
    I am wanting to purchase another CF card, after looking on Cheap as Chips (AP Advertiser), I have found 2 possibles, they are different brands

Sandisk Extreme Pro 16GB 90MB $242.95 (http://www.cheapchips.com.au/memory/...-90mb-sec.html)
    or
    Lexmar Pro UDMA 16GB 45MB $139.95 (http://www.cheapchips.com.au/memory/...pactflash.html)

Can someone tell me (other then the obvious write speed) what is the 'Better' brand. I have only Sandisk at the moment. And is the difference in the write speed a big deal if I am not taking photos of fast moving objects

Thanks in advance
    Hi Rachel,
    I can highly recommend the Sandisk Extreme. I just used a few 8GB cards over 2 weeks in Africa, shot and downloaded about 10,000 RAW images without a single problem. As suggested probably better to buy multiple 'smaller' cards rather than 1 big one... just in case. I believe the PRO version is over-kill for the 50D and the new 'standard' 60MB Extreme cards will not restrict performance and save you some $$. By the way as the 50D is UDMA enabled direct dowload from the camera is just as fast as most (USB) card readers!

Cheers
    John

EOS 1D MKIII x2, EOS 6D; Samyang 14 2.8 IF ED UMC, EF 17-40 4 L, EF 24-70 2.8 L, EF 50 1.4, EF 85 1.8, EF 70-200 2.8 L IS, EF 100 2.8 macro, EF 400 5.6 L, 1.4x II TC, EF25 ET; Speelite 580EX, 430EX; Nissin Di866II; Yongnuo YN560i/ii & YN460ii, YN622C's, RF602's; Gitzo GT3541XLS + Markins Q20i; Manfrotto 055XProB + Giottos MH1301; Manfrotto 680B c/w Kirk MPA-1; Tamrac Pro5, ThinkTank Airport Accelerator, Airport Antidote V2, Pro Speed Belt + Racing Harness + Modular Skin Set; Lightroom 5.3, Photoshop CS5.
    myflickr

Scarlet letters aren't that bad.. I rather like L

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your replys. I am going to order the Sandisk 8gb x2 from CheapChips.