User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Lens for 'Families/Group Portraits (for Canon 450D)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lens for 'Families/Group Portraits (for Canon 450D)

Hi,

RE: Families/Group portraits minimum 5 to 10 people.

I'm having trouble finding which lens to go for as there are far too many. A family friend has told me wide-angle may be a best to go for.

I have Canon 450D with Tamron Lens 17-50mm f2.8.

So I thought I come here and ask you all, since you may have more knowledge about lens than I do. I'm on the budget so it depends how much I would spend on, as long its worth it in a long term. I take photos nearly every week.

Can you tell me which lens is suitable and why?

Thanks.
    Canon EOS 450D DSLR
    Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD

My Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im comfused, you have a 17-50 ? What's wrong with using that ?
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes that's right Kiwi.

However I've noticed from my experience, that I have taken a family or a group portraits seems to look flat. I'm not sure what I did wrong, but however having something else, like wide-angle would help this?

For example, a family portrait with a interesting background such as a beach.

I hope this make sense?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with Kiwi here, what effect are you trying to achieve with that sort of group shot. The 17mm end should be wide enough to allow good group shots with that lens...if not everything fits then you could always try taking a couple of steps backwards. If you are looking to be closer and fit everyone in (though with distortion), or if you want to get an interesting effect then perhaps a dedicated wide angle might be appropriate...but generally I would say that your 17-50 would do the job.

The other option is to use depth in your group shots, and stagger the participants while using a smaller aperture to increase the DoF.

I would say that unless you have a pressing need for a wide angle (IE you want to shoot specific landscapes, or just want some variety for the way you do a group shot) it may not be worthwhile.
    John
    Nikon D800, D700, Nikkor 14-24 F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8D, 70-200mm F2.8 VRII, Manfrotto 190XB with Q5 PM Head,
    SB-900,600, portable strobist setup & Editing on an Alienware M14x with LR4 and CS5 and a Samsung XL2370 Monitor.

Stormchasing isn't a hobby...its an obsession.
    For my gallery and photography: www.emanatephotography.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, you just beat me to posting. As I said if you are feeling like the shot is flat try changing it using staggering or varying your depth of field. Also remember to use structure to change how that ordinary group shot looks. DoF is your friend

Another approach is to look at your PP...are you doing something at this stage to make your shot flat? In order to help out with this it would probably be worthwhile you posting some images in the People photography section and asking for help.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Xebadir,

Thank you for your honest advice. You are right with whole alot of things and deep down, I'm frustating with having a family portraits. I'm good with individual portraits, but having a family portraits and trying to make it look interesting is hard work. And I thought for a moment that when family friend has mentioned a wide angle is a way to go for, I thought that would be a problem solved.

Thanks I'll have a go at 'People' session and get some feedback on how I can improve this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Tamron Lens 17-50mm f2.8 gets great reviews for its sharpness and the second half of the focal length would be more use to you on a crop sensor, so in my opinion ( I aint no expert ) you pretty much gave the right gear for the job.

Good luck
    The fastest way to a man's heart is through his chest with a sharp knife
    Canon 50D,
    Tamron 70-200 f/2.8, A very bright light, EF 50 f1.8, Tamron 17-50 f2.8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please post some example group shots, otherwise ill take a stab in the dark and say this sounds like lighting and composition

Wideangles are great for landscapes, bad for ppl due to distortion
    Last edited by I @ M; 16-08-2010 at 9:06am. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post

Wideangles are great for landscapes, bad for ppl due to distortion
    not necessarily .. WA lenses can be great for people photography, but thats another discussion ..

To the OP : You can also shoot a group portrait with a long telephoto lens if you like ... you just need to the room to be able to do it.

Your Tamron will be fine for the job. You dont need another lens.
    Hi Im Darren

www.darrengrayphotography.com

SONY A850 (FF)] + GRIP | SONY A350 (APS-C) + GRIP | SONY NEX-5 +16 2.8 + 18-55 E-MOUNT LENSES | CZ 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-75 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 | 2 x 42AMs | 24" imac | LR | CS4 | + loads of other junk