Thread: 52mm to 58mm

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

52mm to 58mm

A friend has 3 lenses of a film camera. Will they work on a 50d digital and if so is it possible to get a 52mm to 58mm adaptor for it. And what would be the cost of the adaptor.
    Peter
    Canon s3is, 2 x 50Ds, Canon 18-55is, Canon 55-250is, ef 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, Canon Nifty Fifty f/1.8,
    Sigma 70-200 f2.8 ex dg os hsm, Sigma APO 150-500 f5-6.3 dg os hsm
    tripod, monopod, 4 didgeridoo's.
    Two million years of evolution and I'm still a Homo ergaster.
    ttp://www.flickr.com/photos/mustymustang/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what you are saying or what you have there pjs2, more info pls

Cheers

western suburbs of melbourne as of 13/5/2010
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they are from an EF or EF-s mount then yes, the earlier model FD mount ones will not go on unless you have an fd to ef mount and then you wont get AF only manual focus,

Im assuming the 58mm adapter your refering to is for filters ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF_lens_mount
    Canon 50d - 300d backup - 28/135mm IS usm - 50mm 1.8 - ettl flash - Assortmant of other stuff I hardly use
    I think a photography class should be a requirement in all educational programs because it makes you see the world rather than just look at it. ~Author Unknown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pjs2 View Post
    is it possible to get a 52mm to 58mm adaptor for it. And what would be the cost of the adaptor.
    Sure is possible to get step up rings for your filter, check out ebay there are countless dealers selling them.
    The fastest way to a man's heart is through his chest with a sharp knife
    Canon 50D,
    Tamron 70-200 f/2.8, A very bright light, EF 50 f1.8, Tamron 17-50 f2.8

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I have the canon 50D with a 58mm lens attached,he had an old film camera with 3 lenses of good quaility 50mm and 2 macro lenses with the 52mm marking on the front of the lens. I was wondering will they work on my 50D if it is possible to get a step down adaptor that will allow me to mount a 52mm lens to the front of my 58 mm 50D body. And if so does any body know what the cost of the adaptor would roughly be. I know there will be no IS or Af but with a macro and a 50mm you probably wouldn't use it a lot anyway.

Many thanks
    Peter

western suburbs of melbourne as of 13/5/2010
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK the 58mm you talk about it the size filter that can fit onto the front of your lens my 18mm - 55mm EF-S (kit lens) is 58mm whereas my EF 28mm- 135mm IS USM is a 72mm, both of these fit straight onto my 50d as it takes both EF and EF-s Mounts, the only difference is if i want to use filters i have to buy a set for each size, or use a step up. (not familiar with step ups and dont know how far you can actually go.)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter as described the 58mm and 52mm you refer to have nothing to do with whether the lens will fit your 50D.

What model film camera did you friend have the lenses fitted to ??

If it was an EOS film camera then yes they will fit your 50D

The important thing you need to look for is the mount, your 50D has an EF mount (well actually an EF-s mount, but no need for confusion as it is irrelevant when referring to the older lenses) so as long as the lenses are the same mount you are fine.

How do you check ?, Good question, an EF mount lens will not have an aperture ring on the lens, and the model of the film camera will also give you enough info to know
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Righty O

I have info. He has the T50 (broken). 3 FD mount lenes, 80-200 zoom 1;4.5-5.6 mc macro not sure what this one is. It's either a zoom lens(sport type ) or it's a macro lens,28-56 macro, 50 mm, 2 x teleconverters. Did a bit of research and found you can get a Canon AF confirm FD lens to canon EOS ef lens mount adapter Aprox $65.Just have to find someone who stocks them I dont buy over the Inet.
    Your thoughts/warnings welcome.
    Peter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter,
    Will they work - in a fashion

You will only have manual focus, will have to operate aperture via the lens, so your meter won't work either.
    You may also loose infinity focus with the adaptor

I suppose for $65.00 for the adaptor, which if you can get one without buying over the internet, will most likely be double that, it might be worth the try.

Your call